xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbmc & Internet?  (Read 83 times)

yaeugd

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« on: March 13, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »

How do I get XBMC to connect to the internet and use the weather feature or the linksboks browser?? how do I use the other drive option to network with a drive or computer??  <

alsybub

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 09:20:00 PM »

i found that it works best if your dash is set to dhcp, run it through a router and it should work fine  <

yaeugd

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

I am running evox 3935 as a dash?? and I am running the whole network through a router.  also, what are the other dives on the xbmc for can I use them to connect to my computer media folders or drive??  <

mc_365

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »

read up on XboxMediaCenter.xml

You can share drives from your PC most easily with samba / smb shares

The other Drives bookmarked are on the xbox itself   <

jakin

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »

How do I get to the internet with a cross cable into a 2nd nic in my pc?

xbox is 192.168.0.3   2nd nic is 192.168.0.4 The first nick is DHCP.

I have been searching for a faq or tuorial on xbmc to internet, soutcast and what

ever "samba" is. When I searched for samba It came here. Please help.

I modded my own xbox, installed 616 dvd, 120 gig hdd..so I can do this if someone can point the way.

Thank you........................  <

hitman_uk

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »

With the 2 network cards try having a look at ccxstream..Its quite easy to do ..I have the same setup..if you need a tutorial on ccxstream and xbmc click my sig at the bottom..  <

82ross

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (jakin @ Mar 22 2004, 06:26 PM)
How do I get to the internet with a cross cable into a 2nd nic in my pc?

xbox is 192.168.0.3   2nd nic is 192.168.0.4 The first nick is DHCP.

I have been searching for a faq or tuorial on xbmc to internet, soutcast and what

ever "samba" is. When I searched for samba It came here. Please help.

I modded my own xbox, installed 616 dvd, 120 gig hdd..so I can do this if someone can point the way.

Thank you........................

With WinXp you just use ICS (internet connection sharing) to share the net connection with the Xbox.  <

yaeugd

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »

ICS (internet connection sharing), here is a silly question, were do I find the settings at in the folder or in network manager??  <

SigTom

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »

Ok well...seems like you need a primer in all things networking and XBox related.  So read this which is a great primer and gets you up and running with 2 nics and FTPing into the XBox.  Once youve done that, here is where you will learn about Samba.  In particular, read the one called 'Setting up Samba, Tutorial with Pictures inside'.  That should keep ya busy and fix your problems.

jakin

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

what does this statement mean? " Step 1. Create users XBOX with password XBOX (u can use a normal user , i just had problems with no password)"

Do you want me to create a special folder named "xbox"?

I already use flashfxp to transfer to xbox. but these instructions are confusing me.

do I uncheck "all folders" for simple file sharing or just a special one created  for this purpose? I know how to install the file and print sharing but with what?

I am on a lan, with a 4 port d-link router and an 8 port nway switch, 3 pc's and zoom-phone.   www.zoom-phone.com

I installed my chameleon 1.3, samsung 120 g Hdd, 616 dvd -rom. So If you would be kind enough to help, I know I can figure this all out.

Please explain.    We need an indepth tutorial on this whole subject. I have all the downloads Samba, ( don't know what it is,) CCX stream, shoutcast and the newest xbmc installed. but i am lost. Thank you.....................
<

SigTom

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »

jakin:

No a user isnt a folder....its a user, someone who uses the computer..so if your running WinXP Pro or Win2k you can log on with a user name and password.   You dont HAVE to set up a user name and pwd if you dont log on.  But from what I can tell, your not interested in Samba which streams media from your PC to yoru XBox, you want your Xbox to have access to the internet.  So just to clear things up, are you on a LAN with a router/hub, or is your XBox connected to your computer w/2 NICs, since youve said both.  If all you want is your Xbox to access the internet while using XBMC and your using a router, in the xbmc.xml set the option for DHCP, as your router will hand out IP addresses.  If you are using XBMC as an app, launching it from Evox, set your xbmc.xml to use the settings from the dashboard.  Here is the relevant section from the xml.

CODE

-

-
 -
 -
 -

So, if you are launching XBMC from Evox or another dash, use option 1.  If you turn your XBox on and it boots up to XBMC, use option 2.    <

jakin

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

I'am using xp pro

Well Iam really lost now. Iam going to read some more.

just so you can understand. I use slayer's installer. exox dash and I want to just use xbmc to access the internet for weather and stream shoutcast.

my nic to the internet is DHCP

my xbox nic is a static ip  192.168.0.4...I use a crossover cable.

the static ip of  my xbox  is 192.168.0 3. (in evox.ini) so I used it.

Now I can set it up to have DHCP TO THE XBOX ..I have the extra cable.

I do not think I need samba. Can you tell me what samba is. I read so much iam all confused.

I want to thank you for your previous answer. I know you were trying to help but iam more confused now than before. I felt stupid reading your explanition about "option 1 or 2. sorry.  thank you.....

This post has been edited by jakin: Mar 23 2004, 09:56 PM <

SigTom

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »

OK when you set up XBMC, there is a file called XboxMediaCenter.xml.  When you open that file with notepad, youll see the code I posted above.  Where you see
CODE
 -
-
-
-

This is the area you would configure.  If you want XBMC to use the IP address that Evox uses, leave it blank, for option 1, leaving everything blank like it is.  If you want to use Option 3, DHCP, it would look like this

CODE
 DHCP
-
-
-

Those are the options I was refering to.  

So let me see if I understand, comming out of your Xbox you have a crossover cable that connects to your PC, or does it connect to a router?  While your on your PC, try this as well,  Click Start->Run->Type in cmd hit enter.  At the command prompt, type "ping 192.168.0.3" without the quotes.  Does it respond?    <

jakin

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »

So let me see if I understand, comming out of your Xbox you have a crossover cable that connects to your PC, or does it connect to a router? While your on your PC, try this as well, Click Start->Run->Type in cmd hit enter. At the command prompt, type "ping 192.168.0.3" without the quotes. Does it respond?

Comming out of my Xbox I have a crossover cable that connects to the pc

lets call it (nic 1).

The other nic (2) goes to the router with a straight cat 5 cable and is DHCP. So whenever I want to ftp to my xbox i ftp to 192.186.0.3 static ip, at the same time I can surf the internet through the cat 5 to the router

While iam doing an ftp to the xbox I can surf the internet.

What do you think is my best connection , considering I have enough cables to DHCP everything with 2 nics?

when I ping ..I get bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64 .. Yes I can ping my xbox.  <

SigTom

• Archived User
Xbmc & Internet?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »

Well, I guess its just a personal preference, but I like to have all my devices connect to a router or switch, instead of going 'thru' one another like the Xbox is now.  So I would take the crossover cable out, plug in a regular CAT5 from the Xbox to the router, and the same for the PC.  In your evox.ini set it for DHCP, if it pulls an IP, you know your router and XBox talk to one another. Since you are launching XBMC as an app from Evox, leave your xbmc.xml blank in the section for <ipadres>-<ipadres> like that, so it will use the IP address Evox was given during DHCP.  Since you know you can get internet to the router (because your PC is on the internet now, and its plugged into the router) you also know tha your XBox can get to the internet if it pulls an IP thru Evox.  Thats exactly how I have mine setup, didnt have to fill in any DNS servers, and it works great.  The second nic in your PC is now not being used, so you can take it out if you want.  Having to use WinXPs internet connection and setting up ICS takes up more time than just letting a router hand out IP addys.  

This post has been edited by SigTom: Mar 24 2004, 03:22 AM <
Pages: [1] 2