xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oblivion Hands On  (Read 274 times)

georaldc

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 02:08:00 AM »

I don't think AF is really that taxing. My geforce 6600 non-GT can enable AF in games like FEAR and Quake 4 with little to almost no performance hit at all. But then again, I guess the x360's architecture is way different compared to PCs

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 04:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Inuyasha152 @ Feb 27 2006, 01:32 AM) View Post

Oblivion use to look amazing, but if I remember correctly they had complications with the game and had to drop some things, major changes just look....

I wonder what happened...

They had to do away with inanimate object soft shadowing.

nightwulf28

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(Inuyasha152 @ Feb 27 2006, 04:32 AM) View Post

Oblivion use to look amazing, but if I remember correctly they had complications with the game and had to drop some things, major changes just look....
At E3 it looked like this:
IPB Image
And now it looks like this:
IPB Image
Another E3 screenshot:
IPB Image
And how it looks now:
IPB Image

I wonder what happened...

so wtf, we the xbox 360 has awesome hardware, and if what you say is true, then im sure the 360 can implament AF to some degree.  i wanna know what the deal with this is, its driving me nuts.  i mean come on, they tote the graphics capabilities to be months ahead of pc's, yet im sure the pc version will have the option to turn on AF to whatever level you choose, and the 360 version gets none?  come on.  Anyone else know anything about this topic matter?

Thanks blink.gif

mark_in_2k

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(nightwulf28 @ Feb 27 2006, 08:41 AM) View Post

so wtf, we the xbox 360 has awesome hardware, and if what you say is true, then im sure the 360 can implament AF to some degree.  i wanna know what the deal with this is, its driving me nuts.  i mean come on, they tote the graphics capabilities to be months ahead of pc's, yet im sure the pc version will have the option to turn on AF to whatever level you choose, and the 360 version gets none?  come on.  Anyone else know anything about this topic matter?

Thanks blink.gif

Patience, the game is due out soon enough and then we'll all know for sure what changes had to be made.

deakphreak

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

Yes dont go by pictures and all the speculatoin. Just wait until the game is out and get some first hand opinions.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »

for those still confused about what has changed between last E3 and now there is an interview here:

nightwulf28

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Feb 27 2006, 10:25 AM) View Post

Yes dont go by pictures and all the speculatoin. Just wait until the game is out and get some first hand opinions.

I agree.  But, and this is kinda off topic, I just want to know if anyone knows the true AF capabilities and limitations with 360 hardware.  I mean, is the 360 capable with out major performance hit, to intigrate AF into games?  huh.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 27 2006, 10:29 AM) View Post

as for AF, M_hael has already said in another thread that AF does very minimal enhancements.  as far as using DoF to muddle the distant textures, that would be more taxing then AF as i understand it because DoF
http://www.gametrail...age.php?id=1688

What is DoF?  I thought no AF is what caused distance textures to lose their texture resolutions, and give things a muddy look.  The exact same thing happens in CoD2 as you increase your distance from an object in the 360 version, but in the PC CoD2, when AF is turned on, the distance object textures do not lose their resolution, and do not look muddy.  Correct me if i'm wrong.

At this stage in the 360's life, i don't believe you can compare the same game on the 360 vs. the PC in terms of effects such as AF, because devs, like bethesda and oblivion, have only had 360 final hardware for a very short time, and have not been able to build the game from the ground up on the final hardware.

Or.....it could be that the 360's CPU is so difficult to program for, at least in a way to get acceptable yields, that it is the CPU that is the bottle neck of the 360.  The 360's GPU would very unlikely be the problem here, because it is very comparable, and understood like current high-end ATI PC cards.

I hope it is not the latter; time will tell.....

beast96

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Feb 27 2006, 06:55 PM) View Post

What is DoF?  

DoF is depth of field and it causes things in the distance to be blurry somewhat

Deftech

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »

1up has 2 pages posted of their Hands-On and they gush about is like gamespot and ign did.

They also mention the terrible far off textures in one grassy field that caught their eye(page 2 I believe), but everything else is so good that it doesnt matter.

Oops, forgot link..

http://xbox360.1up.c...=3148324&did=13

pop.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(scooby_dooby @ Feb 27 2006, 05:43 PM) View Post

AF as I understand it is an effect to smooth the transition between different textures. For example, and game with no AF might have exquisite textures right in front of you, but only a few feet down the road, they will become very blurry. With AF, the textures APPEAR to transition from sharp to blurry much more smoothly.

Really.  I had no idea.  Makes sense, though.  Can anyone else....M_heal......confirm this?

Souske

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 09:58:00 PM »

if you really wanna' know what these things do, wikipedia will tell you all about it.

You can't compare 2 different screenshots from 2 different systems.  You don't know what settings they were running, what the color settings on the game were.  That german screenshot looks as if the gamma was turned up, the contrast down, and the saturation down.  It also obviously has a much lower pixel resolution, sized for smaller web graphics.  The pixel resolution and dimensions of an image are incredibly important to image quality.

Booker T

• Archived User
Oblivion Hands On
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

I want this game ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]