xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 195 times)

bigphill911

• Archived User
Oblivion
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

Is Oblivion going to be online? From what I understood it was suppose to be a MMORPG but some kid at school was saying it isnt going to be online at all? I don't think he knows what the hell hes talking about but hell I could be wrong?

bigphill911

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »

ok guess I was informed wrong hmm that sux maybe I won't be getting this then lol

Karlito525

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »

correct no online just downloadable content but regardless this game is gona be badass just watch the videos

Master X

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »

Yeah I dont think that there will be an online gaming mode but if they did that it would be sweet.

thebucketmouse

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

I don't think they could make it a MMORPG without cutting a LOT of features and details, but it would be nice if there was a 1v1 duel type mode, for all my friends that say their character can kill mine.

Souske

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »

TES is far too HUGE and detailed to be online.  You would need to require everyone to be on an incredibly hi-speed office LAN with a gigabit network, and you would still have tons of lag problems.  Oblivion is most definetely meant to be a single player game.

Darcom

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

None of that is server side anyways. It could be a MMO but won't be. Character & NPC Information are the only things needed to be kept on a server in those types of games.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »

Even though it's not a MMORPG, the experience is very similar.  You have a massively huge world with the option to choose your own path.  The world is filled with thousands of unique characters that you can interact with. The only difference I see is not being able to play with your friends, which is fine by me.  Personally, I prefer to shoot my friends in the face with a sniper rifle rather than play fantasy games with them.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 05:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Jan 23 2006, 02:41 PM) View Post

I prefer to shoot my friends in the face with a sniper rifle rather than play fantasy games with them.

laugh.gif

I would welcome some kind of two player option in the game; would be fun to meet up with my brother when somewhere in the vast lands of oblivion.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Oblivion
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

If you would like to get an idea of what Oblivian is going to be like then pick up Morrowind. The game is fantastic and you can get the GOTY edition pretty cheap at this point. There is so much gameplay packed onto that disc that you could spend the next year+ playing nothing but Morrowind. I love WoW and I have played on MUD's for years so I am definitely a fan of online roleplaying but I will be at the store on release day to pick up Oblivion. If it is at least as good as Morrowind it will be worth every penny.

yaazz

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »

I am going to get the PC version this time around.... the user created content that I couldn't use on Morrowind made me sad sad.gif

Xombe

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »

I personally, and many might disagree, would prefer TES does *not* become a MMORPG.  I think the immersion and play experience I had with Morrowind would be cheapened, if not shattered, if I had to walk through enchanted worlds filled with ferocious monsters, damp dungeons, and a bunch of robe-clad mages named "HotBallaKillz187" and "xXxHaloRulezMCxXx"...

That just me?  

[Professionally voiced NPC]:"Lo, but you must travel across the barren wastes of the evil Virla.."
[NPC voice is drowned out by..] "Yo, I gotta find this mu'fukin' elf dude.. ya hear me?"

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 03:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xombe @ Jan 24 2006, 11:35 PM) View Post

I personally, and many might disagree, would prefer TES does *not* become a MMORPG.  I think the immersion and play experience I had with Morrowind would be cheapened, if not shattered, if I had to walk through enchanted worlds filled with ferocious monsters, damp dungeons, and a bunch of robe-clad mages named "HotBallaKillz187" and "xXxHaloRulezMCxXx"...

That just me?  

[Professionally voiced NPC]:"Lo, but you must travel across the barren wastes of the evil Virla.."
[NPC voice is drowned out by..] "Yo, I gotta find this mu'fukin' elf dude.. ya hear me?"

Very true.  A single player rpg is like a good fantasy book that cannot be done with mmo's for the very reason you stated.  Having the possibility for a handful of "people you know in real life" join in on the fun doesn't damper that much on the whole immersion aspect of the fantasy, though.

Xombe

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »

metaldevil, I would, but my track record for being funny is spotty, at best... beerchug.gif

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
Oblivion
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 06:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xombe @ Jan 25 2006, 01:35 AM) View Post

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Too funny man.... and true.   The last thing we need in oblivion is little kids swearing, shit talking and teabagging.
Pages: [1] 2