xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: *rumor* Project Cherry Blossom? *rumor*  (Read 1369 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
*rumor* Project Cherry Blossom? *rumor*
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »

Today, GamerAndy woke up with an interesting tip in his inbox. Is it the secret engine used by Rockstar in the next GTA?Is it something sompletely different? Or is this complete BS? We do not know but it is still fun to speculate.

IPB Image
What do you think Project Cherry Blossom is if it is anything at all?

http://www.gaming-360.com/?p=489

though i think it would be great to have a GTA style game with that level of detail, i just dont think the next gen system are quite that powerful yet.  maybe in the next-next-generation but not the upcoming one.  that is also why crackdown developer (GTA originator) chose to have more of a clean and colorful look to their game instead of the photo-realism edge, because the systems are still not that powerful yet.  however the picture is still impressive and speculations and discussions could come from this.  

notsodiseased

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

That looks really close to the pictures shown for the New CryTec engine.

I personally dont want GTA to have that level of realism, I always like the comic book feel to the game. Plus if GTA looks any more realistic we'll never hear the end of Jack Thompson

Shinamano

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »

Looks good...I would be suprised if we see games like this on the 360/ps3...

Master X

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

This face has more detail but the face shown in the crytek engine video looks much realistic.

scooby_dooby

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 20 2006, 07:06 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.gaming-360.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/cb-test04.jpg)
http://www.gaming-360.com/?p=489

though i think it would be great to have a GTA style game with that level of detail, i just dont think the next gen system are quite that powerful yet.  maybe in the next-next-generation but not the upcoming one.  that is also why crackdown developer (GTA originator) chose to have more of a clean and colorful look to their game instead of the photo-realism edge, because the systems are still not that powerful yet.  however the picture is still impressive and speculations and discussions could come from this.

This is confirmed as realtime:
(IMG:http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2079/786_0005.jpg)

Keep in mind this has crappy jpg compression, and has already zoomed out about 6 inches from the beginning of the trailer, it's pretty much the same quality.

Now this is a cut-scene, but it's fully realtime.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 01:10:00 PM »

scooby, i understand what you are saying but you are forgetting something that is overlooked pretty often.  im not downplaying whether or not this is a realtime picture.  however what many people dont understand is that the size of the game makes a huge difference in the graphical quality possible.  to compare GoW which will have levels far smaller then the huge cities that take place during GTA games is not the accurate way to compare graphics.  the bigger the game, the more you have to "spread" out your graphical resources basically.  that is why usually the best looking games on a system are the fighting game, less to render and a smaller area to push the graphical power.

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

That sucks!

No, the graphics on that are amazing, but come on, if GTA was like that it would be banned in the Uk before you can say "German Censorship laws that mess up games for the rest of the PAL region!"

This post has been edited by Ozy: Feb 20 2006, 10:35 PM

Mikeizzle

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »

That'd be sick. Now i can kill people with  superduperultarrealisitckillingmechanisamsthengooutsideandreallydoitcausesocioty
sucksatlife. But if that were the next GTA, that'd be pritty fuckin amazing.

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mikeizzle @ Feb 20 2006, 10:06 PM) View Post

That'd be sick. Now i can kill people with superduperultarrealisitckillingmechanisamsthengooutsideandreallydoitcausesociotysucksatlife. But if that were the next GTA, that'd be pritty fuckin amazing.

That word took some reading.

.i.n.s.u.l.t.s

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ozy @ Feb 20 2006, 05:18 PM) View Post

That word took some reading.

Lol yeah it did.

0wn996

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Feb 20 2006, 08:41 PM) *

scooby, i understand what you are saying but you are forgetting something that is overlooked pretty often.  im not downplaying whether or not this is a realtime picture.  however what many people dont understand is that the size of the game makes a huge difference in the graphical quality possible.  to compare GoW which will have levels far smaller then the huge cities that take place during GTA games is not the accurate way to compare graphics.  the bigger the game, the more you have to "spread" out your graphical resources basically.  that is why usually the best looking games on a system are the fighting game, less to render and a smaller area to push the graphical power.

Unless the game dynamically renders a part of the city and not the entire city.
Lots of new games will use this feature so i wouldn't be surprised if a new version of gta would also use it to make massive cities a possibility.
Ut2k7 will also use this feature btw.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »

I gotta say, I'm having a hard time believing that first pic is realtime-renderable on the 360, or the PS3 for that matter.  It looks as if it's using true global illumination to light the face, which I doubt we'll see in realtime for a while.  Perhaps the software is ready, but I don't think the hardware is up to par.

whiteblur67

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(0wn996 @ Feb 20 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

Unless the game dynamically renders a part of the city and not the entire city.
Lots of new games will use this feature so i wouldn't be surprised if a new version of gta would also use it to make massive cities a possibility.
Ut2k7 will also use this feature btw.

ya ut2k7 will have conquest mode
with map sizes that are three times the size of Onslaught maps in 2k4 now
IPB Image

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »

(IMG:http://www.gaming-360.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/cb-test04.jpg)

ok lets nitpick.

1. if it was realtime lighting then the eyes would NOT have EXACTLY the same reflections but reversed, smacks of optimisation to me... ie - its not lit its just a high res texture for the eye.

2. if it was realtime shadowed then unless it was a loreal advert you'd see more self shadowing especially around the nose area, seems the gradients in the skin we are seeing are more than likely part of the skin texture itself again leading me to the conclusion - its not lit, its a high res texture.

3. the eyes have a shine in them as if a light was directed towards the character yet no other part of the face belies any form of directed light...

my opinion would be that its a MAX render with a high res texture and little or no advanced lighting, probably a mock up of what they WANT rather than what they have. The silhoutte does not provide any visual cue's as to the poly count which infers that the poly count is VERY high indeed - PR shot high in fact.

The texturing is VERY good, the eye brows look nice but does that detail look as good from the side profile... doubtful and therefore damning when the effect falls down when rotated.

Souske

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

There is no way that anything with that level of detail came out of rockstar.
Pages: [1] 2