xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mp3 Organization  (Read 71 times)

mkirk

• Archived User
Mp3 Organization
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »

Let me start by saying XBMC is amazing software. I've demo'd for anyone who'll listen and am very happy...

I love the feature that connects and dl's song/album information for my MP3's. I like seeing the thumbnail or album cover rather than the generic icon. Currently I leave all my MP3's in album folders, for instance:

MP3's
|----Billy Joel
       |---- The Stranger

Am I better off keeping all my MP3's in one top level folder so I can see albumn covers and navigate that way? Also, I don't have playlists -- will this be better organization to allow me to play all songs on shuffle?

Sorry - dumb questions, just curious how others organize their music.  <

Agrajag

• Archived User
Mp3 Organization
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »

I personally prefer to have one large list of songs and let the software provide the separation elements like sorting by artist, album, etc., based on tags and such.

Right now I'm a bit on hold as the current compiled build (2-12) has cache problems that cause my WMA files to all skip. Once that's dealt with (and I hear it was fixed in a CVS between then an now, but I don't have the interest in compiling it here) then I'll go full-speed ahead in using XBMC for nearly all my media needs.  <

Pyr0iD

• Archived User
Mp3 Organization
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »

This is something I was figuring out yesterday -only installed XBMC the day before as I've been happily using XBMP forever. For my use, I've found that creating a seperate folder for each album (obviously) in a common folder works best.

eg.
\albums\Tool - Opiate
\albums\Tool - Aenima

This way when I set the view to thumbnail view, I get all the album covers in the one folder.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them too.  <

evilnick

• Archived User
Mp3 Organization
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »

The folder organisation shouldn't matter if you Scan your music (and it's properly tagged) then select Album view then it'll be taken care of by XBMC.

I've done that over SMB so have all my nice FLAC/OGG collection streaming whenever I want it. IMHO one of the best features of XBMC...  <

DaShiZNiT

• Archived User
Mp3 Organization
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 05:40:00 AM »

I throw all my MP3 onto DVDR, and yes if there in the own folders, and you have id3 turned on, hitting white will look up the album, and if there is art for it, the art is displayed for each album

kinda nice  <