xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Opinions On Pgr3?  (Read 125 times)

yaazz

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« on: January 24, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »

1: Only fast ones. Minimum speed for any car in the game is 170 MPH

2: PGR2 Menu blows this new one out of the water. The new menu is very clunky in my opinion

3: Online is fun, but you are expected to act like Uncle Pennybags from Monopoly or you will get bad feedback left and right

4: I liked the game, but I beat it and never played it again, so I traded it in for The Outfit

Recomended though

Lerxst

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »

IMO, PGR3 is one of the few games worth owning for the 360. Oh wait, there are only a few games  dry.gif

Category 5

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:23:00 PM »

Great game.  At first I wasn't overwhelmed with the graphics, but after some replays and photo mode walking around I quicklyt realized the breadth of the game's design.  At race speeds you see very little that can be appreciated, in replay mode you can see that the whole city is being rendered at all times.  Look left or right and as you pass the city blocks you can see building are being rendered as far back in the distance as they exist.  The lighting is remarkable, and the speed and feel of competition is fantatsic.  i took me quite a while to love this game.  I loved PGR1 and 2 in their day though.

Online is addictive.  True, every race starts with a massive bumper car match.  Bump someone and they'll cuss you out and leave bad feedback.  Brake in front of someone who doesn't want you too, they'll hit you, cuss you out, and leave you bad feedback.  Accidentally lose control of the car and hit someone else and they'll cuss you out and leave you bad feedback...

But damn if it isn't fun anyway.  Anonymity gives jerks a way to be even bigger jerks.  Just make some friends, and let people know your wrecks aren't intentional and you'll still enjoy yourself.

Oh yeah, keep in mind that it's a video game, and if you wreck and fall from first to last place don't scream and cuss and whine and moan.  It makes you look like a little bi*ch.  biggrin.gif

lostboyz

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:13:00 AM »

lol live is funny, i love 8 car pileups on that vegas strip where the straight has those corners that pop out.

other than, people drive like assholes, played a head to head, this guy took a corner really on the inside, and it was quite obvious it was so he could bump my back end out. I eventually caught up to him but instead of just passing him for the win i put his ass in a wall. so even if people are assholes live is a great time

metaldevil

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 04:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(daddio5280 @ Jan 25 2006, 04:25 AM) View Post
The play is very "arcadey". I found it lacked the depth of forza without any upgradeable parts, no customization AT ALL, and no varing car set-ups for different tracks. Hence I find the gameplay severely lacking.
There's a good reason for that. PGR3 is an arcade-type racing game. Bizarre Creations have made no claims that it's a sim. That being said, it is the most realistic racing game available for the 360, but it is still far from being a sim. Yes, Forza is a more accurate racing game, but it's a sim. I like both types: sim and arcade. Fun is fun no matter how you slice it.

The cars in the PGR games are pre-tuned to a high standard. That's why you see RUF instead of Porsche in PGR3.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by, "no varying car set-ups for different tracks." The races are all set up by car class. That means that all cars in a class will need to meet the same requirements for a particular race. With five car classes and ~80 cars in the game, I find it very liberating to be able to race any car on any track in the offline career.

The menu in PGR3 has improved slightly, but it still requires you to flip through several screens before beginning a race. For some reason, when I first played the game on launch day, it struck me that the overall theme of the menu is loosely-based on XBMC (PM).

Like some of the previous posters pointed out: there are pros and cons to online racing. There will always be blockheads out there that will ruin the experience, but on the same note, there are always a lot of great racers around that just wan't to have fun without being assholes.

P.S. Love 'em or hate 'em, graphics have nothing to do with how much fun this game is.

tjaf

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 08:18:00 AM »

I think pgr3 is a very nice game, and I seriously enjoy it. Two little minor points:

- loading times: They are quite long, and there are a lot of them. After you choose a race, you have to choose a car which requires the game to load your garage. If you switch cars, again loading the garage. After that, you can start the race which also needs loading. Restarting an event requires again loading. Finishing an event and returning to the menu also takes some time (it says saving progress).  All these loading times are slightly annoying.
- Difficulty settings: You can choose between novice/easy/medium/hard/hardcore. IMO there is a big difference between medium/hard especially for the cone challenges. Quite often the requirements to complete a cone challenge on hard settings are more than 3x as high as on medium settings. I am not a very serious gamer and it was quite easy for me to complete the game at medium difficulty. I succeed in completing the cone challenges with more than 2x the required amount of kudos for medium, but I cannot finish a cone challenge on hard settings (let alone on hardcore). I can however finish all the rest on hard, some even on hardcore.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »

basically hardcore you just need get through all the cones, just takes practice. the score is 3x higher because each cone gives you a multiplier

metaldevil

• Archived User
Opinions On Pgr3?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

Yessir, the loading sucks and blows. Unfortunately, all the 360 games I own --- with the exception of DOA4 --- load terribly slow.

Try using a slippery car like the Ultima for those cone challenges. It's disgusting how many kudos you can net with that car. It's almost an unfair advantage for the player. wink.gif