xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Have Multiple Drives Show Up As 1 Share  (Read 55 times)

philly33flyers

• Archived User
How To Have Multiple Drives Show Up As 1 Share
« on: March 03, 2004, 10:40:00 AM »

Hey all.  I've heard a lot about how XBMC is a lot better than XBMP and I wanted to check it out and mess around with it to see for myself.  What I have now is XBMP with Relax streaming server.  This is what I want to do to get my XBMC to stream:

---Share videos that are on multiple drives and have them show up as one drive on XBMC (Kind of like how I can create a folder called videos on relax and drag as many directories as I want under it and it all shows up as videos using the $ROOT$ command in the xml file)

---I need to have this functionality.  I have 4 drives of videos and I DO NOT want to have seperate folders on my XBMC for each drive.  I just want it to show up as 1 folder like in XBMP and Relax.

I know that XBMC doesn't use the $ROOT$ command anymore, so that is a problem since that would've been the simple way to do it.  Is there any other way do what I want to do?  I don't have to use Relax, I can use something else if necessary, but I would prefer to still use Relax if possible.

Also, right now I think I have a CVS? build of XBMC.  I've checked the "usual places" and all I see there are CVS builds.  Are these official builds?  And if not where can I get official builds (sorry if this is not allowed just tell me and i'll edit out, you can PM me with the answer if you want).  Thanks again for all the help in advance.  <

drewZen

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »

Dont think there is a way to do this which is the only thing holding me back from using xbmc. I too have multiple drives and use the $root$  syntax with relax. Keeps all my videos organized and under 1 folder. Hopefully it will be incorporated in future versions  :)   <

Malachiix

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »

On Win2k you can use a dfs map point to create a share that really contains pointers to mutiple locations/hard drives.  So to xmbc, it sees a share called \\mypc\movies and movies really is comprised of  share one, share 2, hard drive 6, etc.

more here:

http://www.MS.com/technet/prodtechn...ty/dfsnt95.mspx

This post has been edited by Malachiix: Mar 3 2004, 11:20 PM <

philly33flyers

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »

Ok, read the info on the link and seems to me that the clients need to have some sort of software installed in order to be able to read the DFS information.  I'm running XP on my computer with the drives I want to share and I don't really know if it will work with it, it should.  Is there any way you can give me a quick help/tutorial on how to get this setup and what I need to download?  I'd appreciate it greatly if you could.  Thanks.

This post has been edited by philly33flyers: Mar 4 2004, 04:56 AM <

philly33flyers

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »

anyone?  <

Badness

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »

If you are running ntfs drives then you can mount the drives under individual folders but to date I dont know how to mount individual folders. Let me make a picture of this for you. I have 3 drives that I use for media storage for use on my XBOX. One drive is tv, one is movies and the other is divx archive. I am like you, I wanted everything to show up in XBMC under one share. So all I did was have one of my drives which is G which holds my divx, then I created a folder on the G drive called TV and a folder on the G drive called movies. Then under computer management in XP, you go to disk management. This is where you are able to chaange drive letters and stuff. Under here I right click the drive that has my tv on it and select Change Drive Letters and Paths. I select add and Mount In The Following Empty NTFS folder and point it to the folder on my G drive that I created called TV. I then do the same for the drive with my movies on it. Under this setup, I now have my G drive with everything mapped on it so I XBMC all i have to add is the bookmark for my G drive and Im all set.

Badness

This post has been edited by Badness: Mar 7 2004, 01:41 AM <

philly33flyers

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »

yeah i know about that.  i really don't want to do that either.  i just wish there was a way to implement the $root$ syntax within xbmc.  i tried using xns with my ip:port/directory used in relax and it sees all the folders and videos when i first connect but then loses them right away.  maybe it can be requested as a featuer to be able to use the $root$ syntax with relax and xbmc.

anyway back to the point...i know what you mean but i really don't want to do that.  i want to have everything be it's own drive exactly how i have it set up because i know where everything is on my computer right now when i add stuff and such.  i would have no problem having multiple drives show up on the xbox using smb but i want to make this as easy as possible for my sister and bro-in-law so they don't ask me every 10 mins what show is on what drive and where's this and that.  it's just easier to have all the videos show up as one.  so i guess i'm out of luck and will be using xbmp until there is a solution for this.  thanks for all the replies and ideas though, i really appreciate it.  <