xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Project Offset  (Read 968 times)

incognegro

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

they gonna use their own engine..........i bet.

Deftech

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(corkinator @ Aug 10 2005, 07:27 PM)
Half Life 2 is a very good game and has good physics and some nice scenes but the graphics are pretty average. Seriously.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

the vids look great and if only 3 people can accomplish this imagine what a big development team can do.  i think it would be more fair to compare the unveiling of each engine.  these demos with the first demos of the unreal 3 engine.  back when the U3E was first shown i dont think it had AI and everything in place and yet it still looked great.  if the offset team can do what epic has then good things are to come.

i honestly cant wait until something comes along within the next few years and really eclipses these engines.  yes they were built with the next gen in mind but i cant help but think that if an engine was built exclusively for the 360 it would push the bar higher then any current engine.  

portarock

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »

I was bored and saw this on tv so I thought Id update.
interview from G4: click here

incognegro

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »

dry.gif

bluvasa

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »

I think this just goes to show that a few talented people can definitely compete with the big boys.

The Unreal engine is awesome, but it is good to see that similar results can be achieved by a smaller team.

This puts my mind at ease a little over Halo3.  

Bungie is definitely developing their own engine and I think it will be just as good as Unreal, Source, Realtime or this Offset.

Deftech

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »

come on MS! be their publisher!

KAGE360

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

im both interested in the game and the engine.  if they get the whole game looking like that short clip it could be very interesting indeed.  also i hope they begin liscencing this engine out and see what other devs cook up with this kind of engine.  

i wonder if bungie is developing their own engine and if so i hope they do a better job then they did with the halo 2 engine.  it was good but it wasnt the most efficient engine with all the texture pop-up and the inability to support co-op over LIVE or system link.  but all that was based off of the original halo engine built for the PC and mac so now hopefully they will fully tailor an engine to the 360 and hang with the big boys (offset, Unreal 3, and Wardevil engines)

bluvasa

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

Time constraints had more to do with the lack of coop and texture popin in H2.  It wasn't purely engine limitations.

Check out this interview with Bungie's Mat Noguchi:

Link

He talks a little about pop in and the rush they went through to finish everything.

Back on topic:

I think any developer with talent and dedication can make an effective next gen game.

Yes development costs are rising, but I don't think the $20 million dollar quoted by EA is applicable to everyone.  

KAGE360

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(bluvasa @ Oct 31 2005, 02:47 PM)
Time constraints had more to do with the lack of coop and texture popin in H2.  It wasn't purely engine limitations.

bluvasa

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »

all im saying is that is that if they build an engine from the ground up for the 360 it could better benefit them in the long run, unlike the first halo engine which was built using the PC and Mac as its base then ported to the xbox at the last minute.

I definitely agree beerchug.gif

Deftech

• Archived User
Project Offset
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

grr.gif

Pages: 1 [2]