xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help With Smb - Please!  (Read 42 times)

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« on: February 25, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »

Having a problem that is driving me insane!  I have set up 3 different SMB shares.  One for my digital photos, one for videos, and one for music.  The photos and video work perfectly, but no matter what I do I cannot see my music files.  I had the same problem with XBMP.  When I go to My Music in Media Center there is nothing there at all.  Even the standard C Drive, DVD Drive, E Drive do not show up.  I have used the exact same syntax for the other 2 shares.  I just can not figure this out.  Driving me crazy.  Any ideas what is wrong?  I have a very large folder of music, this shouldnt make any difference should it?  Why arent the plain old C Drive and DVD drive even showing up?

Thanks All
 <

JayDee

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »

Press BLACK button on the controller.

My bet is that you are in playlist view...  <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »

nope, it says albums.  When I hit black it goes to Playlist.  Still nothing at all showing up in here at all.  GRRRR!  <

JayDee

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »

Goto albums and press the A button untill it says Name.  <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

What do you mean?  I cant physically get to albums, its just the title on top.  I can't do anything.  Again, no drives are showing up at all.  It is just empty, if i click on something it just freezes.  Makes no sense at all.  The video and photo folders show up perfectly, music is completely empty.   <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

Here is the music section of my xml:

<music>
   <default></default>
   <bookmark>
     <name>C Drive</name>
     <path>C:\</path>
   </bookmark>
   <bookmark>
     <name>E Drive</name>
     <path>E:\</path>
   </bookmark>
   <bookmark>
     <name>F drive</name>
     <path>F:\</path>
   </bookmark>
   <bookmark>
     <name>DVD</name>
     <path>D:\</path>
   </bookmark>

<bookmark>
     <name>XNS</name>
     <path>xns://192.168.0.1:1400/</path>
   </bookmark>
   <bookmark>
     <name>XBMS</name>
     <path>xbms://192.168.0.1:1400/</path>      
   </bookmark>
   <bookmark>
     <name>SMB</name>

<path>smb://workgroup;xbox:xbox@glenn-m/music</path>
   </bookmark>
 </music>  

<

McGeyser

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »

Edit: Have you tried replacing the custom config file with the stock config file. Same problem?

<path>smb://192.168.0.110/MP3/</path>

This is easier and requires only a shared folder be on your PC called MP3 or whatever you choose. I am using XP SP1 and this works well for me with no user account or password created, just allow full control for the share.

This post has been edited by McGeyser: Feb 26 2004, 02:54 AM <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »

Just tried using the simple IP address way and still nothing.  No matter what I dothe music section is empty.  Even worse, when I go in there it usually locks up and I have to reboot the xbox.  This makes no sense to me.  I cant understand why I can see all my videos no problems but the music section does nothing.  Amazingly this exact same thing seems to happen in XBMP.  I have even changed the folder name on the PC, copied it to a different drive and I get nothing.  Losing my mind!  <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »

I even just tried copying a few mp3 files into my video directory that already works fine in media center, then copy and pasted the exact same line in the config file for the video smb share into the music smb share and i still get NOTHING when i go to my music.  Should the other drives at least be showing up?  There is nothing there at all.  Ever.  <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

Ok last update....When I place the music smb share in the config file under "My Files" instead of "My Music", then go to My Files in XBMC I can finally see my music!  I can play songs no problem, but of course since it is under my files I cant sort or use artist,album,playlist info etc.  So it seems I am having a problem with the Music section for some reason.  I must be doing something completely wrong when using the My Music section.  I even tried putting the old standard config file and I see nothing under My Music.  Are there supposed to be headings in there just like in the other sections?  What is wrong?  The share obviously can be seen fine when I use My Files instead of my music.  Is there something different to do when using My Music?  <

McGeyser

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »

Are you using the 2-14-04 Build? I have no problems with XBMC other than getting the music to stop playing with the gamepad.

This post has been edited by McGeyser: Feb 26 2004, 09:03 AM <

glenn71x

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »

Yes,  usng the latest build.  What do you see when you go to my music?  Are you supposed to have the same drive selections you have when going to My Videos, or My Files?  I get no choices at all.  It is very odd.  The music plays fine from my files, but I have no selections at all under My Music.  <

dom b

• Archived User
Help With Smb - Please!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 05:37:00 AM »

It's already been mentioned once - you are in Albums view, as you say it says Albums at the top of the screen.

Go to the button in the menu that probably says Artists and keep pressing A to cycle through the views and get to your drives.  It's pretty simple.

Once there you should get extra menu buttons.  You can use the Scan button to have XBMC build a database of your music which will then show up in album view.  <