xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc Hangs (so Does Xbmp), System Otherwise Stable  (Read 38 times)

Skrill

• Archived User
Xbmc Hangs (so Does Xbmp), System Otherwise Stable
« on: February 24, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

I am having real issues with my recently modded Xbox.  Here is what I am running:

Xbox v.1.1 (I believe)
Xecuter 2.3a (the red one)
Bios 4981.06
Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb cache 160gb HDD (locked)
EvoX dash (latest verion)

I had the chip professionally installed and my installer setup XBMP and a few other proggies (like DVD2Xbox, etc.).  I noticed that when I tried to use XBMP it would hang the system.  Generally within a few seconds of loading the XBMP --- sometimes during the EvoX spash screen that appears as XBMP loads -- sometimes several minutes later.

I figured it was a bad install of XBMP -- so I downloaded and installed XBMC.  Same thing happened.  So I tried moving XBMC from the E partition to the F partition -- no help.  Same thing -- hangs usually within seconds of starting up.  The only way to get out of the hang is to hard reset.

I have checked my settings.  IGR is off.  Other proggies work fine.  DVD2Xbox has never hung.  Box explorer works fine.  The system is rock stable at the dashboard screen -- never hangs even after being on for hours.  The system plays games flawlessly with or without the mod chip being on.

I have tried reinstalling the bios -- no help.  

One thing I have noticed -- right when the system hangs, the humm of the system changes pitch slightly.  Not load -- just a slight change (have to really listen for it).  But when it changes -- the system hangs.  

Any thoughts?  I really want to get XBMC working.   :(  :(  :(   <

Skrill

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »

Update:

Here is the really funny thing.  I disassembled the Xbox to see if I could find something going on in the box itself.  Powered up the box -- everything connect, but disassembled -- and it seem rock steady.  Now I do not think it was a temp issue as the system plays games for hours on end just fine.  But I noticed a wire that seems to go nowhere.  And worse -- it has an exposed end.  I think it may have been grounding on something -- see the attached pic.  I circled the wire -- what does it do?  I am thinking of trimming it back and insulating it with electrician's tape.  Please tell me if that is bad.

(IMG:http://images5.fotki.com/v61/photos/8/84864/661823/ExposedWire-vi.jpg)

(IMG:http://images5.fotki.com/v61/photos/8/84864/661823/DSCN1054-vi.jpg)[/img

This post has been edited by Skrill: Feb 25 2004, 02:36 AM <

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »

I dont know those bew x2 chips but what you should do is to delete the 0face007 and 0face008 folders in e: tdata and e: udata.

Also, set the ip to the same as evo-x (or what dash you are using) in the config.xml and xboxmediacenter.xml  <

Skrill

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »

All fixed -- it was the wire
 <