xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie  (Read 130 times)

DMAddict

  • Archived User
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 414
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »

Well, looks like Halo fan are gonna be bumbed.

"By Tim Briscoe

Variety is reporting that studio co-financiers Universal and Fox have backed out of the Halo movie. The industry news source claims rising costs for the film's production caused the rift.

The studios demanded that Microsoft, the publishers of the popular video game, and the film's producing team, lead by Peter Jackson, take a pay cut in light of the rising price tag. Both "respectfully declined" says a rep for Jackson.

Microsoft was reported to receive $5 million upfront and 10% of the box office gross as rights holder to the game.

The budget on the film was rumored to be upwards of $200 million. Jackson's rep claimed the costs of the New Zealand based production were significantly less, around $130 million.

Universal and Fox were also rumored to be concerned over the inexperience of Halo's rookie director Neill Blomkamp. But Jackson and team are standing by their man. The Jackson rep stated, "Part of what excited Peter and [producing partner] Fran [Walsh] was Neal's vision. We're very confident this film will move forward with the creative partners intact, who will take the film to production."

Microsoft is currently in talks with other studios, so says Variety, so any pre-production delays should be minor.

We're still holding our breath that they'll finish Halo for a summer 2008 release -- but we're running out of air."

Edit: Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. Could I get a mod to move if necessary.
Logged

CattyKid

  • Archived User
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2077
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »

Moving to Halo 3 Forum.
This makes me sad.gif.
Wonder how accurate it is?
Logged

TyM

  • Archived User
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

O damn, I really hope they do a movie.
Logged

Sweeet

  • Archived User
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 42
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

Good! I garantee they would ruin it just like they've done with many decent comic's in the last few years... I don't think special effects have reached a level of realism yet that would do the Halo franchise justice.

Besides, nothing beats playing the game and experiencing it for yourself!  Roll on Halo 3! biggrin.gif
Logged

Mr Invader

  • Archived User
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 685
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

There is still hope. Just because Fox and Universal dropped the movie, doesn't mean that other studios couldn't pick it back up.
Logged

jimjom

  • Archived User
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 904
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »

Lets see. after they backed out... who is not owned by sony?.... Warner Brothers perhaps?
Logged

Mr Invader

  • Archived User
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 685
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Microsoft and Bungie aren;t giving up yet.

Read this.

http://www.xbox360fa...iddance-to-fox/

Microsoft and Bungie basically said: "Piss on them"
Logged

bobjim17

  • Archived User
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 43
Studios Back Out Of 'halo' Movie
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »

So who's going to be master chief?

I vote Optimus-Prime guy for the voice. He's the man.
Maybe Sean Connery? Now that'd be an interesting take... heh.
Just, please God, do not let them use 'the rock' (or should that be 'the overly large and excessively hyped-up phallic replica')

Hope they keep going with it. Halo would have to be (so far, and IMHO,) the only series that has gone from strength to strength. Others tend to go hard with the first game, and fall down with the second, and then the third merely breaks even.

Hopefully, because this franchise holds so much more 'glory' than others of the same type, it will have its dues paid to it in full with the movie, and we won't need to worry. Surely Peter Jackson wouldn't do a crap production? Anything's possible I guess.

Looking forward to it!

Edit: Oh, and looking at that fan-boy site:
Who says the main character can't keep his helmet on for the movie? He's the voice, not the person. Don't ruin the look, now, people...
Logged