xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Faulty Guitar Hero 3 Guitar?  (Read 865 times)

sephoratrading

• Archived User
Faulty Guitar Hero 3 Guitar?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

In a followup, here is my solution after it is finished.  I decided to go the soldering route.  The picture below shows my finished contact board.  Those pads are usually brass colored.  I can't stress enough to precision of this work, I used the smallest soldering iron and guage of solder available outside of a specialty shop to do this.  Each one of these pads took about a millimeter of solder.  And it is still more than I was intending to put on.  

Works like a charm now.

(IMG:http://myweb.wit.edu/dicksonm/images/GuitarHeroControllerFix.jpg)

mjemec

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »

I'm glad google found this forum because my guitar had a nasty habbit of not registering green, red and orange frets. Also sustains were immediately cut off if I used the whammy bar.

So I followed the first post and it works like a charm. Thanks for the fix, now I can continue playing properly (although I prefer playing Rock Band these days).

superbond2

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »

I hope someone is still checking this thread.

Anyways, I've tried you fix and can't seem to do it right. I bought my guitar used online (BIG mistake) and it didn't work from day one. I've tried many low fi fixes, and finally stumbled upon this one.

I can't seem to get the PCB in place. The bottom part requires a ton of force to move into place, i think i can get it there but i am afraid of damaging it more.

The top PCB doesn't move at all there is no way i can move that end at all, am i doing something wrong, or is it possible to move one end only?

mjemec

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

There's another possible low-tech fix if some of you don't want to move the PCB or do the rubber band solution. All you need is scotch tape, really. You just take the neck off and put 4 - 5 layers of scotch tape on either side of the neck insert part. This makes the neck slightly wider and holds it well in place so it can't move during playing and lose contact because of that.

xrkahn76

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »

What I would like to know is, has anyone cracked it open and found anything on the overdrive actuator?  I would like to find it and replace it with a button.

BonerDoner

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

Just wanted to say that I just applied this fix to a les paul wireless guitar I bought on eBay, and it now works perfectly!

Mine had a really unresponsive green fret. I thought it was totally broken at first, but tried this 1 minute fix, and now it works great!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS IS SUCH A SIMPLE AND ELEGANT FIX!!!!

JTPaintball

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »

I love seeing stuff like this biggrin.gif Thanks a bunch man!

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(350_pimp @ Jun 3 2008, 10:07 PM) View Post

i did just like the directions said, but when i tried to put the neck back in place, it won't snap back

Same. I think they changed it to try to fix the issues with the buttons not registering. They must've moved the contacts closer. Additionally, there are no longer pins punching holes through the wires.
But now there are holes in the contacts and my yellow button has ceased to function properly. I'm going to try to put a bit of solder on them.
There was some glue on the cabling near the bottom of the PCB as well, I'm not sure if that was there in the original revision. Just use a bit of force if it's stuck.

jimmy-laws

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »

I'm not sure if its the guitar or the game sensitivity. A lot of times after I hit a note, it will look like a miss happens immediately after. When playing fast, it will often look like a miss occurs after every hit. If I am careful to hold the strum bar down firmly with each press, it seems to be ok, but if you play fast and let the strum bar fly, it will count up tons of non-existant missed notes.

me2611

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »

@ OP - It works great now - Thanks for the fix!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]