xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MADD Against GTA4  (Read 473 times)

kdezzy78

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080501/ap_en_...s_gta_iv_madd_3

Wow, the group is for a good cause and everything but there just stupid to take it this far... Rockstar even put in a message that says you've drank to much so you'd better call a cab. They're not promoting Drinking and Driving. Opinions?

gcskate27

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

housewives ruin everything... they should get a job, then they wouldnt have time for this trivial shit...

19Ripper75

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ May 4 2008, 10:13 PM) View Post
housewives ruin everything... they should get a job, then they wouldnt have time for this trivial shit...

Lol, good one. Maybe Jack Thompson will make a few new friends. biggrin.gif

hardcandy

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »

I think they have point, a lot of 15-16 yo will be playing this game (despite the ratings). They are against anything that makes getting drunk and driving "cool'. And this game does make it seem cool to get drink and drive. And I have met a few 15-16 year olds who have problems driving sober, let alone under the influence.
And the fact is that 16 to 21 year olds have the most accidents of any age group.
So yes I can see their point. I feel it up to the parents to promote safe driving, but they have limited success against opportunity, curiosity, and peer pressure.
The statistics show this fact.
As far as a stricter rating, I agree with it but then it would not affect me.

In the critically acclaimed open-world game, players have the choice of patronizing a bar and then attempting to drive drunk. While virtually under the influence, the screen becomes blurred and the controls are more difficult to use. Players also have the option of hailing a taxi or walking. The intoxication effects wear off after a few minutes in the game.

They are worried that young players will feel like they can drive "OK' while drunk in the game, so they may be more inclined to try it real life.

Reaper527

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(hardcandy @ May 5 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post

They are worried that young players will feel like they can drive "OK' while drunk in the game, so they may be more inclined to try it real life.

this is the same reason people use to say that GTA is responsible for real life murder. both applications of the logic are idiotic. people know the difference between real life and make believe.

also, this group is fully aware that AO means it can't exist, and thats the only reason they would push for the difference between 17+ and 18+

Chancer

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ May 5 2008, 06:44 PM) View Post

people know the difference between real life and make believe.

Sane people do yes, but unfortunately some elements of society do not and can not distinguish that fantasy is nothing close to reality of certain situations.
 I doubt this game is going to increase the number of drunk drivers though.

BoNg420

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »

MADD is just a bunch of stupid ugly bitches who'd you have to be drunk to screw anyways..

Its called proper parenting.  They shouldnt be attacking the producers of games, but the parents who lack the ability to discipline and control what their children play and watch.  

Its not the game makers fault if someone goes out and shots someone or gets drunk and goes driving when they see it in a game.  They need to hold the parents responsible for this.

Its the parents fault they lack monitoring the children's activities.  They buy the kids the games because its a cheap babysitting solution so the parents have more freedom.  They dont teach kids right from wrong or not buy them violent games.

MADD should go after the millions of bad parents out there and tell them how to raise their kids better.  Parents these days dont punish their kids enough.  They need to be better with their kids, but instead submit to their kids every wish.  I see it all the time when I'm in the store.  The kid whines and whines and keeps whining until the parent submits and buys them whatever they want.  Then the kid is rewarded for being bad and become spoiled.  The kids then grow up being spoiled little pricks.

These women need to spend less time bitching and more time raising their kids right.

This post has been edited by BoNg420: May 5 2008, 07:39 PM

hardcandy

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 5 2008, 02:12 PM) View Post

Sane people do yes, but unfortunately some elements of society do not and can not distinguish that fantasy is nothing close to reality of certain situations.
 I doubt this game is going to increase the number of drunk drivers though.

I think MADD is concerned it will increase the acceptance of drunk driving among the age group. There is some evidence stricter laws and more education is starting to decrease the number of deaths related to driving and drugs/alcohol. MADD is worried games like GTA4 will negate some of their efforts. .
  Think about it, GTA4 is most parents' worst nightmare. Not many parents want their children to hijack cars when they feel like it, hang out with hookers, shoot other people for profit,etc.
  So GTA4 brings all those fears out and makes the parents face them. Easier for them to ban the game than to deal with those fears.
  Personally, I do think 18 years of age-the same for voting, serving in the armed forces, and, in some states, getting a drivers license-is appropriate for GTA4.  I play the game, if I had a 15 or 16 year old child, I would not buy it for them. I do think 18 years of age is appropriate to purchase the game.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

Anyone who thinks MADD is actually a group dedicated to eradicating drunk driving is WRONG....

Years ago the group got so out of whack with reality that their actual mission now is to re-instate prohibition and ban the sale and use of alcohol across the board for all ages.

Even the woman who founded the group after her child was killed by a drunk driver left because they're so off course and out of whack with reality.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt from MADD, their demands are completely unreasonable (they want Take 2 to stop selling the game completely).

The game doesn't advocate Drunk Driving, It advocates taking a cab instead of drunk driving, Not only that but the player can choose to do whatever they want, and they also have the choice to get drunk or not (it's not a drunk driving "mission" if you decide to go to a bar on a date you get drunk, you could have just as easily gone bowling).

Reaper527

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(hardcandy @ May 5 2008, 03:05 PM) View Post

There is some evidence stricter laws and more education is starting to decrease the number of deaths related to driving and drugs/alcohol.

i hate these "studies". the number of fatal drunk driving accidents has gone down since the laws got stricter and the drinking age was 21, so many people think it is fair game to say that is why, even though there is no reason for the correlation. the fact that people are now educated is the key factor, and this game doesn't change the fact that people are taught why drunk driving is unacceptable.

i agree with twisted, this is nothing more than a publicity stunt from an out of touch group.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

REPEAT AFTER ME....
correlation does not equal causation

AGAIN...

AGAIN...

Just because something happened at the same time as something else doesn't mean they're related... no matter how much it helps your argument.

kdezzy78

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

well said twisted

SigmaXIX

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »

It's just another small, narrow-minded group of people trying to inflict their nonsense value system upon all society.

If you don't want your kid to have a game, DON'T BUY IT FOR THEM!  They card!

This all happens because some people don't want to take responsibility for their bad parenting.  These people want to FORCE others to parent their children, with organized "thuggery".

It's not because it's RIGHT what they're trying to do, not because it's moral, not because it's the law, and not because society-as-a-whole wants it to be that way, it's because a few people want to TELL YOU HOW IT IS GOING TO BE, and they're gonna FORCE IT UPON YOU AGAINST YOUR WILL!

Bad parenting. <period>

Just a Shadow

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »

This is just completely ridiculous on their part, instead of wasting their time trying to stop something thats not going to happen, they should be spending the majority of their time spreading awareness to schools and alike.

Tripme

• Archived User
MADD Against GTA4
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »

The police are not very kind if you drive drunk in the game anyways.  They are out to get you.  ph34r.gif
Pages: [1] 2