xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microsoft in GTA IV Panic?  (Read 685 times)

joeyddr

• Archived User
Microsoft in GTA IV Panic?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »

ok this whole "console winner" bullshit talk is getting tired. What will make a console a "winner"? Do people think it will be like a blue-ray - hd-dvd type winner? where one will just shut down shop? cause that aint gonna happen in either case. Christ its getting fucking lame with all these comparisons by people i could give 2 fucks about their opinion and  the best part is people who listen to that opinion, how bout this THINK FOR YOURSELF and form your OWN OPINIONS. If you like one system better than the other great for you, no one cares.

sirsmacketh

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »

LOL. While the author does bring up some good points in the article, it becomes clear by the end of it how biased he really is.

Sure MS shelled out a lot of cash for episodic content. You can argue that MS did this to anticipate the PS3 version would outsell the 360 version. Stupid? Hardly. Desperate? Possibly. In the end, it does give 360 owners a "better experience". I'm not sure if the content is a timed exclusive or EXCLUSIVE exclusive.

Dropping the price, of the 360? Why not? If MS can do it without taking a loss, good for them. To succeed over your competition, pricing and timing is key. I think the Aussie's a little bitter the $50 price drop hasn't hit Australia yet.

The average consumer is an idiot - they don't research enough and then complain when they get a shitty deal in the end. The informed consumer does the complete opposite - they research and research and only make a purchase when the price is right.

You know that's going to happen this time around when PS3fanboy owners who don't look outside of they're little box realize the 360 has more content and thus... getting more than what they paid for. It's arrogant for SONY to say.. you know... the GTA series is tied to our brand so we won't do anything to make sure it sells more on our platform. The fact remains the last GTA game sold equally on both the PS2 and XBOX consoles. The only way to tip the scales this time around is to either market the hell out of it, or offer the gamer a better experience. I'll take the 500 MS points too thanks!

As for casual gamers... aren't they all on the Wii playing Major League Eating?

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »

If the person said "I bought my PS3 to play GTA IV" to me.  I would say back "You know the game is also coming for 360, at the same time right?  And that the 360 is going to have EXCLUSIVE Downloadable Content."

Then he be like, "Oh crap!  I guess I'll go return my PS3 to walmart, and say its broke and want a refund.  (I work at walmart, people do this WAY to much)"

Replex

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »

Honestly I read the article and I tend to disagree with his theories on things, sure there are going to be some people that don't know better. However the average consumer has been hearing about the console war for some time now.

He just seems to go from one angle, then keep piling it on from there. I think Microsoft will still win out in all of this. They are already raking in more money than the others combined from attachments.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 21 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post

obviously this isnt a problem in the uk, on all the games websites, the pre-order charts have GTA IV for the 360 right at the top, then a few steps down for the PS3.

In fact, for fear of sounding like a fanboy, this is always the case with a x-plat games here, in the pre-order and top sellers charts the 360 version is always higher than the ps3.

Where do you get that. It's not correct across the board mate.
See Here

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »

OMG who cares if people buy a PS3 for GTA? It will be just as good on any system and at least they will be getting a more future proof console at the same time.

Why should someone who is only going to be buying one game consider the 360 anyway? These are people that will likely enjoy their console as a blu-ray player than a console.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »

i dont know all the facts etc etc

but it does seem to make atleast some sense that when people heard GTA they think Playstation cause it's been a playstation exclusive (or at least they get it first) for ages up until now.... so it seems to make sense that there has to be a decent percentage of people who will get a PS3 just cause of GTA4.

p.s. main games im waiting for (ON PC!) are Hitman5/MAFIA 2/GTA4 wink.gif .... other than that there's no games i really care about off the top of my head.... o yeah, maybe Rainbow Six VEGAS 2 wink.gif ... and since MAFIA (ON PC) was one of my favorite single player games ever i cant wait for MAFIA 2 wink.gif

Maverick0984

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hiram @ Mar 21 2008, 04:11 AM) View Post

Simple. It's lame.

Great argument...  rolleyes.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 21 2008, 03:33 PM) View Post

Where do you get that. It's not correct across the board mate.
See Here

i did say games websites, as opposed to entertainment media websites, i probably didnt make that clear enough.

http://www.gameplay.co.uk/
http://www.game.co.uk/

my point is that sales will be pretty equal between the 2 consoles, i dodnt think that many people will specifically associate GTA with playstation anymore.

halcyonx12

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »

I guess the reason they dropped the limited edition GTA 360 is a marketing campaign to make people aware.  But this is not a problem with GTA, it's a problem with all games.  A lot of people were surprised to see Katamari only appear on the 360, and when they think of other big franchises like MGS and Final Fantasy, people think about PlayStation because it's what made them famous too.  Don't forget these games have been exclusive to PS for a long time, and even when some of them did appear on XBox it wasn't until a long time after.  Even MGS3 didn't go to XBox right away.  And the big things is a lot of people are still using PS2 or were still using it until recently, and were just waiting for the PS3 to have these games to go out and get them, and they probably think even if there's going to be a 360 version of GTA, that's not the only game they want to get.  Still at the same time, why worry about the casual gamers?  Most of them are just going to get a Wii anyway.

Also I'm really confused though as to why they say there's no question the 360 version will be superior...  Rockstar said they had problems with the 360's limitations...  plus look at Bully.

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »

heh i think ms is exaggerating to much its one person but then again its true a lot of people in the past have known gta mostly for playstation but alot of people through this gen have have switched to 360 a lot of my friends did and they were so sure they were getting a ps3 and i couldn't believe it b 4 i knew it there on xbox live saying "yo man i decided i will go with 360" and yet they enjoy it to which is cool

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »

Holy crap, where to start.  Let's start here.

"Microsoft is shitting itself. The console war has been raging hard for over two years, and it is all set to come to a head on April 29th. The day GTA IV releases. At that moment Microsoft could lose the fight… and they know it!"

By the end of the first paragraph I knew this guy was an idiot.  This is Microsoft we're talking about here.  This is the company that convinced people to buy Windows 95 that didn't have a computer.  This is the company that convinced people to buy Vista.  I don't think Microsoft is worried about anything.

On a side note, has the PS3 been out for two years already?

"GTA and Sony helped each other become the biggest game series and biggest console in the world. "

Flaming sony fanboy.  How can everyone forget that Nintendo is in the console war?  Nintendo kicked the living crap out of both Sony and Microsoft.  (Plus Microsoft has been doing well for themselves compared to the PS3 so far).  If Halo3 didn't win the war for Microsoft already, GTAIV isn't going to do anything ether.

"They’ve got a much better way of ensuring that the millions of casual gamers that fell in love with their brand last generation remain true to their cause. Free online for everyone, and a deal where you get one of those new-fangled HD Sony Bravia TVs with your PS3."

On second thought I may get a PS3 for GTAIV.  If I can get another HD TV by just buying a PS3...  I know that's at best twisting the truth or at worst an out rite fabrication.  And free online?  That hasn't been winning too many gamers so far.

Most casual gamers already have their system.  It's called the Wii.

On one file note:

" In fact, since the price-drop the console has been selling quite well we are told, with reports of a 40% increase in sales. There’s nothing like an opportunity to save a bit of cash to lure those in the cheap seats. "

First, I don't think xbox fans like to be called cheap and second, Sony could do the same thing.  $400 + $60 for system and game or $280 +$60 for system and game (with a possible price drop)?

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(robo989 @ Mar 21 2008, 04:41 PM) View Post

Yes it is across the board

Only the ignorant and the stupidly rich shop at HMV online and instore, unless they're doing one of their voucher promotions...

Go check out a real website

http://www.play.com
http://www.game.co.uk
http://www.gameplay.co.uk

I purchase from HMV when I am in the white rose. Nothing wrong with it as a store and they sell as much in the way of games as everything else. Your comment could easily apply to the rip off place that Game is  as well.
Only the ignorant say "It is across the board when it clearly is not. That was just one place I had in my favourites but it only needs to be one  place, there will be others. So It is not across the board.
Oh and about your other lame comments. If you don't wish to read the full news post that is fine but don't count yourself as more qualified to comment than TS who actually did read the whole thing.

One thing I do agree with you on is, all this tit for tat war and who beats who shit. It is getting terminally boring.
 the way GTA is being hyped you would think it was going to be the greatest thing ever. It won't be not on any console, unless you like to pretend to be a gangsta

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 21 2008, 06:35 PM) View Post

It won't be not on any console, unless you like to pretend to be a gangsta

who doesnt? fo' sho!

laugh.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Mar 21 2008, 06:39 PM) View Post

who doesnt? fo' sho!

laugh.gif

I have pre ordered it (I am not a gangsta honest) but I don't count it as a must buy game. It's for the kids to play.......honestly laugh.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3