xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Now That Wince Is Running On The Xbox...  (Read 215 times)

MiL0

• Archived User
Now That Wince Is Running On The Xbox...
« on: December 30, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »

...is XBMC/XBMP as useful?

(IMG:http://www.matt-goss.co.uk/ce1.jpg)

discuss...  <

KermitX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 06:02:00 AM »

why tf bother with WinCE on an xbox anyway?

An xbox is a console that can do some other neat tricks thx in part to its hd, but why would any1 want to run any form of windows (or linux for that matter) when 9/10 of us have a proper PC that does that job perfectly already?

the various dashes & media players available now (thx to all those that have developed them so far) are relativily simple to use and thats what makes them so good.

Any1 else think 'proper' OS's on a console is a bit of a waste of time?  <

MiL0

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »

well WinCE is fairly light on resources and it means that development of media players will be in a traditional windows environment. I love XBMP but would also love to have winamp (for example) running too.

This is just my opinion - maybe it will never run as fast as xbmp does and ppl will stick with that instead.  <

Heykrop

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 07:20:00 AM »

Personally I would love to see this, especially if it could be done in the form of a live disc like the Knoppix  Linux distro. For those that may be unfamiliar with Knoppix. It is a Linux distro that can be burnt to a CD-R and then used to boot a PC into a fully functional Linux OS with GUI. It does not require or use any Hard Drive space to load as it creates a Ram Drive and then creates the user space within the ram disc. Check it out here
Booting from a DVD with Ce.NET and being able to run apps like WinAmp and others would be great.     <

DrunkPenguin

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »

i agree with kermit, i have a PC to do windows.  my xbox just makes an easy way to have music playing from my home theater.

oh yah, and it plays games too.

DrunkPenguin  <

Fardo123

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »

well one word ... now windows ce is running ... another way to get the webbrowising started ... without Linux ;) ... but I will stick to Linux for now  <

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 11:59:00 PM »

But why stop at CE?  Why not attempt to get Windows XP Medie Center working.  Then you will make XBMP/XBMC obsoelete.... or will it?

Just becuase someone has CE running, does not mean it's going to replace my PC, or XBMP/XBMC.  Like stated previously, I have a perfectly good PC with an S-Video output port, that I connect to my TV for streaming video, however I still use XBMC/XBMP for watching my video files, and as soon as they implement .nsv support, I'll stop using my PC for streaming video.

I am not looking for a cheap, under-powered PC to hook up to a television.  I'm looking for a cheap entertainment platform, capable of outputting surround sound and HDTV.  Something that I can easily go from watching a DVD, to Playing a game, to listening to streaming music, to watching streaming video, to watching previously recorded video.. all using a remote control and a controller.

As of right now, thanks to apps like Avaluanch and XBMP/XBMC, I will be able to wirelessly connect all the TV's/Home Theater's in my house via their own XBOX's... you know what, this is moot.  The same people who like Linux on the XBOX are the people who like Win CE on the XBOX.  All this really proves is what I've been telling my friends from the FIRST DAY I heard about the XBOX:

"MS needs it's own proprietary "PC" in the home that it can use without any objections of "un-fair" trade practices.  The XBOX is just the first step in a circuitous plan to make a majority of the home rely on MS products."

That prediction of mine is slowly coming true.  With the appearance of Windows XP Media Center addition, which is designed to be, OMG, an entertainment OS, one can only assume that the use of Direct X, and PC architecture in the XBOX was just a foot in the door.  I am willing to bet that XBOX 2(or next) will be "Media Center Ready", with all the trappings that one needs to network their Home PC to their XBOX 2.  Why buy a DVD player(or TiVO, or a multidisc CD player, or Stereo) when you can buy an XBOX 2 and get so much more with it?  Watch DVD, Record Live TV, Store all your CD's as un-scrathable WMA's, stream live radio from around the world... you get the idea..

Now, all this sounds like I'm against this propect, however I am anything but.  I think it's a great idea who's time has come, and apps like XBMC/XBMP prove it to be sufficiently popular and feasible.  I know, everyone HATES MS, but why?  Because they brought you an easy to use widely supported OS?  Or because they are fighting to reduce software piracy worldwide?  Or maybe its becuase they strive for a level of inter-operability that makes things "just work"?

Anyway, thats my $5 bucks worth.  <

MiL0

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 01:15:00 AM »

WinXP Media Centre is more unlikely to work, but there's a definite possibility that WinXP Embedded will run. Perhaps now would be a good time for the authors of XBMC to start work on a windows version?

;)   <

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 03:07:00 AM »

Well, I personally travel all over the US and Carribean for work.  If I have to make a choice as to what I want to bring along with me on a business trip, Laptop or XBox, I have to choose the Laptop every time, as Im going on a Biz trip and have to do some work.  Recently, I bought a new cellphone/pda and Ive been leaving my laptop behind and bringing my PDA/phone and XBox with me.  This allows to me do my work (on the PDA, has Word, Excel, PP, Email, etc) and Im able to relax in the hotel, watch my movies on the XBox and play all the games I want.  When/if WinCE on the XBox becomes an even more robust and more apps are available on it, hell I could just go back to my regualr ol phone, get a collapsable KB and all I have to bring on trips with me is one device, the XBox to do my work, and entertainment in.  So no, having Windows on the XBox is not a stupid idea, or a novelty, its actually usable in the real world.    <

metalfuzion

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »

I have one xbox v1.1 PAL and a original Hdd and a samsung drive, i haved instaled the Wince in my xbox hd and tryed to run about but it does not work! why????  <

Zapata

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »

I'll take WinCE over Linux anytime on the Xbox, not that i think Linux is bad (i'm running it on my computer) i'm thinking about ease of use, compability and software support, WinCE is so much a lighter distribtion than Xebian or Gentoox, so for Surfing the net and emailing on the Xbox, i think it would be great!  <