xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: High Definition Video? Sure Would Be Amazing!  (Read 133 times)

Lifter

• Archived User
High Definition Video? Sure Would Be Amazing!
« on: December 31, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »

The MS WM9 codec is great, and I would say looks as good if not better than most broadcast HD.  T2 is the only real movie in the format.  There are tons of HD movies available on DVHS. The  format is pretty much already dead but the JVC decks and the tapes are still for sale.

As far as WM9 HD on the Xbox, it's absolutely positively never going to happen.  WM9 HD uses way too much CPU horsepower.  You need a 3ghz PC.  However, I'm not sure if MPEG-2 HD (transport streams) can even be played back on the Xbox.  That is definately a possibility.  Transport streams can be digitally captured from OTA and DVHS sources.  For OTA, you need a decoder card, or a decoder STB w/ firewire output.  Storing the TS files on DVD-/+R isn't practical, but using and Xbox's HD might be a fun thing to do.  <

artynerd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »

Is there a way to play high definition video on the Xbox?  I have my Xbox hooked up to my HDTV, and I would LOOOOVE to be able to watch that high-def version of Terminator 2 on my 36" HDTV, but my computer is waaaay below the specs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 01:55:00 PM »

I don't believe you can see true HD on anything but Satalite, cable, and Over Air.  The MS codec is supposedly HD but comressed thats why the pc specs need to be so high, so it can be decoded.  I dont know if an entire movie ecoded with the ms codec could fit on a single DVD-R which is only the half the size of comercially pressed media.  The best I think you can get on the xbox is upscaled playback of dvd quality source material.  And this has been hard going for me atleast.  

I could be totally wrong so anyone else chime in.