xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Python And Home Automation With X10  (Read 126 times)

pleo

• Archived User
Python And Home Automation With X10
« on: January 15, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »

sounds pretty interesting.  I would be interested to know what you find.

This post has been edited by pleo: Jan 16 2004, 12:33 AM <

falser

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

That would be slick.  You could modify XMBC to auto-dim your lights when a movie starts playing.  Imagine selecting the movie and as the intro credits roll your lights smoothly fade out just like a theater - no manual interaction.  <

mssmison

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »

Check here http://home-automation.org/Software/Windows_and_DOS/ there are plenty of server based x10 control programs.  <

lalani

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 08:35:00 AM »

While looking at some X10 products for dimming lights, it occurred to me that there may be some python scripts for controlling X10 products. Sure enough there are! This means that you could control the lighting in your house using XBMC.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to dim/turn off lights, with your XBOX remote so you don't have to get up before watching a movie.

For those that don't know (and I didn't until recently). X10 isn't just about those those annoying spy camera pop ads. Its a language for electrical devices to send commands to each other through your existing electrical system. So for lighting automation, you just replace your existing light switch with an X10 dimmer swith. It then can receive commands from an X10 transmitter.

I don't know enough about this but I am searching for an X10 controller that has ethernet connectivity...or you could just use a PC since theres plenty of X10 controllers for it. XBMC would send all of its commands to that device via python. I'm drooling all over this. I'll post more when I find stuff out.

Anyone have any X10 devices?
Also does XBMC have a built in python interpreter? Can it run libraries?

The X10 python app:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyx10/

Good source of X10 devices if you're interested:
http://www.smarthome.com

This post has been edited by lalani: Dec 18 2003, 04:42 PM

lalani

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 09:29:00 AM »

Well I realized that this is entirely possible and easier than I thought. The python scripts that run in XBMC wouldn't need to send X10 commands at all, in face they would have no where to go. XBMC would just need to post requests via TCP/IP to an X10 server on another PC. But $hit, theres X10 controllers that have IR receivers so you wouldn't need your XBOX at all. But it woud still be cool :D

All we need to do is find an X10 server application that runs on another computer and I'm sure there are a few. I'm still looking for one though.