xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc & Mp4 (neros New Version Of Mpeg4)  (Read 299 times)

bbagnall

• Archived User
Xbmc & Mp4 (neros New Version Of Mpeg4)
« on: January 15, 2004, 09:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (Aron Parsons @ Dec 15 2003, 10:26 PM)
As for playback, if it conforms to the MPEG4 standard, it should already play in XBMC/XBMP.  As for the AAC audio, not too sure on that issue.  Don't know if they/MPlayer has incorporated that yet (I would think so though).

I downloaded some MP4's from http://www.archive.org/movies/ to test it out and here's what happened...

XBMC only plays the video portion, but not audio. So it looks like there is some good work going on for this support, but right now it's pretty useless for practical use. I also had to change the .MP4 extension to .MPEG in order for it to see the files.

XBMP also does not see .MP4 files, and when I tried playing one it treated it like an audio file and made random squealing noises.  <

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »

XBMC only plays the video portion, but not audio. So it looks like there is some good work going on for this support, but right now it's pretty useless for practical use. I also had to change the .MP4 extension to .MPEG in order for it to see the files.

You can also just modify the xboxmediacenter.xml and add .mp4 to the list of extensions that it will recognize.

TS
 <

Method99

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

I have the same problems with the squealing black screen when I try to play Nero Digital mp4's.

Sucks too, cause ND seems to be slightly superior to DivX in video quality, supports multichannel audio, and encodes HELLA quick compared to other MPEG-4 formats. :(  <

bbagnall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »

Okay, I have that slightly wrong from what I described above. In fact, one of the .MP4 files played the video smoothly without sound.

But I tried playing another .MP4 and it played the sound pretty good (maybe minor skipping) but the video was like a slide show for a few seconds, then it just showed the same frozen image. If I fast forwarded I could get it to do a few more frames before freezing the image again.

So it looks like there is some video support AND some sound support, but it's not working too good so far.  <

Leftfield_2k2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

Basically as the title says. Have been playing around with the new nero and am pretty impressed with their version of DivX, seems very good @ low bitrates. XBMP cannot play these files at all, XBMC plays them but with audio issues.

Does anyone know if the authors of XBMC are going to implement this new video?

Cheers for any info

LaterZ
Leftfield_2k2

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »

Please don't call it 'their version of DivX'.  DivX is just another MPEG4 codec that just so happens to be the most popular.  There are many MPEG4 codecs out there now (best alternative to DivX --> XviD).

As for playback, if it conforms to the MPEG4 standard, it should already play in XBMC/XBMP.  As for the AAC audio, not too sure on that issue.  Don't know if they/MPlayer has incorporated that yet (I would think so though).

XXXiphos

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 10:07:00 PM »

I personally cannot imagine the devs giving a "side-line" format real priority. As long as 'the releasegroups' work with Divx and Xvid i am sure that 95-99 percent of the movies ppl wanna watch is in that format.

Same reason why mp3 is still more widely accepted than a 'better' format like ogg... just the way the cookie crumbles...

So if u ask me i would rather see them fix the latest shoutcast probs, get better visualizations and the weird prob i get with CDDB ;-)

I am sure those probs (except the last) would make a lot more ppl happy than the 2 persons that go for mp4 the nero way.

All said and done... XBMC and the team behind it ROCK! In a big way... with a cherry on top!