xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox  (Read 98 times)

lucas

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« on: December 22, 2004, 03:14:00 AM »

I've been out of the xbox-scene for the past year or so and in that time a lot of things seem to have changed. One thing that I've noticed is that now just about everyone recommends a program "dvd2xbox" for copying games to hdd.

Now ive been using boxplorer for a long time and its never caused a problem for me copying any game; does dvd2xbox do something special or is it just easier to use? (the replacement for pdxhddcopier or whatever it was called perhaps?)

also, after some brief reading up on dvd2xbox im noticing people having trouble with something called ACLs (or some other combination of those three letters). What are these ACLs and what exactly do they do?

total_ass

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 03:51:00 AM »

why the hell does clicking on add reply add a quote to the message?

ah well, i find boxplorer far easier to use and simpler. dvd2xbox has the advantage that it can read iso9660 data discs, though it always crashes on me. dvd2xbox is better for ripping xbox games to the hard drive as it patches the media checks for you. boxplorer seems faster for me.

so overall i think boxplorer is better as its simpler, faster, and doesn't crash (for me anyway), dvd2xbox is good for ripping games.

This post has been edited by total_ass: Dec 22 2004, 11:52 AM

lucas

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 05:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(total_ass @ Dec 22 2004, 10:23 PM)
dvd2xbox is better for ripping xbox games to the hard drive as it patches the media checks for you.

what are media checks and why do they need patching?

total_ass

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »

media checks are parts of an XBE file that check what media the XBE is running from, i.e hard drive, cd, dvd, dvd-dl etc. these prevent xbox games for example being run off anything other than retail xbox discs. all newer bioses bypass these checks anyway, so patching them is rather pointless, but some people do it anyway to be sure. older bioses don't bypass these so they need to be removed by either an app on the pc or on the xbox. dvd2xbox automatically removes these checks when ripping a game to the hard drive.

lucas

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »

ah, okiedokie. I'll d/l and have a look at dvd2xbox when i get a chance but it sounds as though ill probably stick with ol' faithful

SrLANGuy

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »

I suggest both, but I use "dvd2xbox" 90% of the time.

"dvd2xbox" - Best, quickest, simplest way to copy any DVD or CD.

"boxplorer" - The best full filemanager I've found for the Xbox.

In "dvd2xbox", you just insert a game, music, or DVD movie disc, and press about two or three buttons to start copying.  You don't have to create a directory by using the onscreen keyboard or anything.  It reads the disc label and automatically creates the correct folder name.  If you don't like what it calls it, you can change it.  Try it, you'll like it.

Irish-X

• Archived User
Boxplorer Vs Dvd2xbox
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

Idk if this is true or not, but I was looking at Pirates of the Carribean in Boxplorer an it was almost 7 gigs, I used dvd2xbox and it was only 2 whay is that?