xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Execs Fear User Generated Content  (Read 119 times)

eatshitanddie

• Archived User
Execs Fear User Generated Content
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »

well, they shouldn't make crappy content, we all know user created is better

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »

XBMC    nuff said    smile.gif

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »

User content won't make any money, but it will sure as hell gain them game sales and popularity. Business is about making money, but it is also about getting more clients and customers. I agree with the first post, many people can create better crap than them, and they would spend less time and less planning doing it.

I can't imagine the Quake series if it did not have user content. The game would have bombed in my book.

pirichios

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »

wth! they say that they are going to profit from user generated content 3 years from now?
how the heck are they going to do that

mva5580

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »

Gee what a shock!  Big Wig Corporations don't want the community to do stuff for FREE that they can't competently complete on their own!   Makes me sick.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(mva5580 @ Apr 17 2007, 08:43 AM) View Post
Gee what a shock!  Big Wig Corporations don't want the community to do stuff for FREE that they can't competently complete on their own!   Makes me sick.

Oh, I forgot!  Those big wigs are SOOO much more competent then we are! We're just dumb consumers!  They know exactly what we want and how we want it; I was a fool to question their wisdom!

[/sarcasm]

(sarcasm directed at execs, not mva5580)

mva5580

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

And I just want to add how this really shows how superior PC gaming is to console gaming.   The PC community more or less ENCOURAGES the modders to add their own flavor to the game and do as much as possible, where as the console people crap themselves with fear that Joe Blow in his basement will create content better than their millions of dollars of "research" and "exclusive content for "only" 500 points!" can.    What a joke.

gli7ch

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

Execs fear user generated content because of their lack of understanding it. All they know is money money money. Now progammers/beta testers/ all the people who actually do things with the games/consoles, they are probably welcoming user generated content.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »

In other words, expect paid tools to make 'user created content' that is nicely confined within the borders of what these companies want you to use it for. And lawsuits for anyone who tries to create 'rogue' user content that does not generate revenue. There's probably some stupid DMCA reverse engineering law that makes it possible to sue you for building your own stuff on top of a commercial product without paying for it.

What these folks probably don't understand, is that user created content is popular *because it is free*. Because you can try it, enjoy it, and get this nice 'community feeling' that makes you want to contribute to it. The moment you have to pay for it, 90% of the contributing users will lose interest and the quality and usefulness of it will disappear. Same reason that I don't expect XNA to be popular anytime before they open it up completely.

By the way, the fact that the 'execs' want to make money off of user content does not surprise me at all... Our current 1st-world societies show that the people who are the greediest usually get up to the highest positions in business. After a while people like that see dollar signs in everything.

SueMiBlitch

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »

user created content is necessary to expand anything developed by companies

for the xbox XBMC is the best thing to come out homebrew or otherwise... and super mario war is one of the best drunken games ever

look at UT, TA, half life... sure they are all great games in their own right, but they withstood the test of time because of large online communities making stuff

can't wait for homebrew, ie. XBMC on the 360

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »

user creater content... hmm

I wonder where they got all the cool ideas, for what is now 360?

hmmm?

my 360 boots to the dash, not the game.
my xbox did that long ago.
my 360 streams stuff.
my xbox did that long ago.
my 360 plays games/movies directly from the HDD.
yup, you guessed it.
my 360 can be rebooted from my chair
xbox too

many, if not all of the ideas for this, and future consoles, will come from users

*edit*  funny how my 360 cant play system link over the internet though?
xbox never had a problem there.   smile.gif

R.I.P.  KAI and XBC

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

Isn't everything essentially "user generated content," but only a select few users?

krims0n

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

Yeah a huge threat. How many copies of Half Life were sold so that people could play Counter Strike and Day of Defeat?

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

Damn I waited to long to post my edit.

The problem facing the latest greatest consoles is with the economics of their strategy. While making it accessible to a broader audience, gamers actually suffer from the loss that Microsoft and Sony take on their consoles. If the Xbox 360 was priced for profit Microsoft would be a little more capable of offering free content. The issue is still the bottom line though so they would still be reluctant to take away from game sales since they make so much money on that irregardless f the console's price.

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »

Right now Microsoft is gaining from the online contents (and games), Wii is making money from the console itself and his franchises and Sony is making money from the still alive PS2 and the "Bravia" TV set that are selling due to the HDTV switch.
Everyone has a second way to get the losses back (well, not Nintendo since they are gaining money straight from the shelf), it's just that Sony isn't that content dependant right now.
Pages: [1] 2