xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Activision's CoD3 and THP8 not hitting 720p  (Read 410 times)

mat989

• Archived User
Activision's CoD3 and THP8 not hitting 720p
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »

It really amazes me how every time a flaw is discovered in the xbox, all xbox fanboys reply saying "who cares??!!" It reminds of the fox and the grapes story…It is easy to disparage what we cannot have.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 03:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(unclepauly @ Nov 14 2006, 06:24 AM) View Post

If you don't notice games running at lower res you must be on an old analog tv. or have cataracts. PGR3 looked  blurry as fack compared to other games out there. It's easy to tell, sharp or blurry. Lasik does a pretty good job I hear.
Added* Just wanted to add that I have the THP8 Demo and it doesn't look blurry like PGR3 did. Haven't played COD3 yet though. Sony(sweet(sour?) irony) 55" 1080i.

i actually just bought an LCD HDTV, and to be quite honest i don't notice the lower res in PGR or THP8, i don't think PGR looked blurry, perhaps your confusing it with motion blur? Or maybe you shoud sit further back from your tv. Massive TV's are no use if your close enough to lick the thing.

Just like most people wont notice the difference between 1080i an 1080p, for movies maybe, but not games.

and by the way, I have perfect 20/20 vision.

QUOTE(mat989 @ Nov 14 2006, 09:35 AM) View Post

It really amazes me how every time a flaw is discovered in the xbox, all xbox fanboys reply saying "who cares??!!" It reminds of the fox and the grapes story…It is easy to disparage what we cannot have.

how is developers not making there games run at full res an Xbox problem?

quarky42

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 05:00:00 AM »

I wish the game industry would realize that 720 and 1080 means VERTICAL LINES ONLY.  We still need to have an option to play the game in full screen or widescreen in HIGHDEF!

Getting sick of playing games at 480 just because I have a "Full Screen" aspect ratio.  I've tried 720 and 1080 both of which my TV supports...the detail level is great, but the format sucks.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

^ Did you buy a 4:3 HDTV? I'm sorry, you should have gotten at least half of that salesman's commission.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2006, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Nov 14 2006, 12:54 AM) View Post

petty stuff. who actually notices and more to the point who cares.

This isn't about resolution... it's about standards and compliance and a commitment to consumers.

MS made a commitment to consumers that they were REQUIRING a minimum of native 720p support in all games as a base standard. The made it clear that this was part of their rigorous certification process and that if a game didn't meet the requirements it was going to be denied release until it did.

When it got out that PGR3 didn't natively support native 720p in certain parts of the game (it was 1024x600 IIRC) It was disheartening because MS broke their own rule right out of the gate. Even still PGR3 was somewhat acceptable because they were trying to get as many games as possible right out of the gate. Other games fell a little short on features and what not and those kinds of things can be expected when trying to make a high profile release date.

PGR3 was the exception to the rule and it seemed that it was going to be the only exception. Now we have at least 2 more games that break that rule... The company making these games has already made games on this console, so they KNOW the limits of it's capabilities and what it can and can't do. These are also games that aren't completely vital for their release date seeing as there is now a substantial catalog of other games on the console to choose from.

So now we're begged to ask the question, what other rules is MS willing to break in their certification process? How rigorous is it really? How can we feel assured that the $60 product we're purchasing is truly well tested and holds the level of quality gamers would expect from a $60 game?

It's not about resolution it's about MS breaking their commitment. I, and many others purchased the Xbox 360 because MS was committed to ensuring that every game they made would play in High Def. How many other commitments are they willing to break? how many other commitments have they already broken but we just don't know about it? how many more will they break?

We all rag on Sony when they say one thing and do another, I feel that we should hold MS to the same standards...

QUOTE(quarky42 @ Nov 14 2006, 07:07 AM) View Post

I wish the game industry would realize that 720 and 1080 means VERTICAL LINES ONLY.  We still need to have an option to play the game in full screen or widescreen in HIGHDEF!

Getting sick of playing games at 480 just because I have a "Full Screen" aspect ratio.  I've tried 720 and 1080 both of which my TV supports...the detail level is great, but the format sucks.

There is no such thing as fullscreen High Def... the format simply doesn't officially exist. You're asking them to support a format with no set standards. Just because you bought a TV that doesn't fall in line with the HDTV resolution standards doesn't mean every developer should have to go out of their way to break the standards to support your poor purchasing decision. It's no fault of the developers that you purchased a full screen set to display widescreen content.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »

It's not a huge deal to me visually.  Resolution is important, but not nearly as important as color depth, tonal quality and contrast.  Those aspects are all still in tact so the HD experience is still there.  My major issue is what twisted mentioned above.  What happened to MS's 720p native standard?  Yeah sure the games may still look good, but it makes MS look bad. Bad bad liars. sad.gif

slimsh8dynb

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2006, 07:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(MeanMF @ Nov 13 2006, 10:00 PM) View Post

NTSC is 480i at 60Hz, PAL is 576i at 50Hz.  Once you start talking about 480p, 720p, etc. you're no longer talking about PAL or NTSC.  720p can have a variety of refresh rates, anywhere from 24Hz to 60Hz.  You'll (very infrequently) see this written as 720p24 or 720p60.

....ur gonna have serious problems playing a game on a 720p 24hz tv...u would have sum serious flicker cuz fps would be way above refresh.

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »

Well he should still be able to do do 720p he just is one of those that buys FS dvds not caring that half the picture is cropped out, just as long as he doesn't get any black bars....

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

I would like to hear from m_hael seeing as he made the game and is probably the only person here who truely understands it.

penguin318

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ozy @ Nov 14 2006, 04:06 PM) View Post

I would like to hear from m_hael seeing as he made the game and is probably the only person here who truely understands it.

thats exactly what i was thinking

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cyberdude93 @ Nov 14 2006, 09:26 AM) View Post

He might have just used a VGA cable and a CRT monitor.  I'm all for 16:9, but 4:3 CRT monitors have got to be one of the cheapest ways to play games in HD if you don't care about the size of it, and I fail to see why 4:3 can only be done in low resolutions.

That's very true and the 360 does actually have the capability to support 4:3 VGA resolutions.

However there is no MS requirement for developers to support those resolutions, so it's optional. Which means that most developers don't support it.

I would imagine that the number of people using the VGA adapter is a fairly small percentage compared to those using TVs. I'm sure MS knows how many people use the VGA adapter based on cable sales and data retrieved from XBL (yes they can track that stuff). So I would also imagine that most developers are privy to that info as well and make their games support particular resolutions accordingly.

PatchBokov

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

sleeping.gif   Its pointless... comparing those 2 system at such a early stage.. Xbox360 release date was :  November 22, 2005. Got dam right! Devellopers had nothing less than 1.2 years free to work to unleash the beast!.. And now, M$ fanboys ask the same result for a system with nothing more than 2-3 month of game devellopement ? That silly.  Every one knows that launch titles mean = not ready and cheap. X360 launch titles were barely better than xbox games.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »

no comment.

period.

kidkinetix

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

cod3 is getting great graphic scores, this rumour will die pretty quick me thinks... maybe by fall '07 we'll see all games stay above 30fps and have no shady business, I can dream right? smile.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »

what framerate do you think project 8 runs at?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4