xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: I Got To Try The 360...  (Read 853 times)

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »

If the "jaggies" were that noiceable then it was most definently not in 720p.  Even without AA, 720p take a lot of the "jaggies" out.

illbastid

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 01:25:00 AM »

Hey, my two cents are that the games on the demo disc are much earlier builds with no
AA.

Reasons why:

I played at one of the local "Wally World Stores" today and i have recent videos of King Kong and Kameo that had better frame rates and no jaggies.

No PGR3 Demo. C'mon!

Also I noticed the Wal-Mart logo on the bottom of the demo splash which means the shit was probably done especially for them weeks if not months ago.

Just my two cents. Keep Hope Alive!!!

P.S. I knew a girl named Hope once. I wonder if she's still alive.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(illbastid @ Oct 21 2005, 03:36 AM)
P.S. I knew a girl named Hope once. I wonder if she's still alive.

lex luther

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 02:14:00 AM »

Pictures from walmart http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=452344 those games look next gen to me even with that guys low end came.

lex luther

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 03:02:00 AM »

Their http://www.xeqtioner.net/ is the link to the site were i got the pictures he claims it all looked great and true nexgen asK him your self. No one is calling you a liar by no means we simply are looking at this at all angles.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 03:26:00 AM »

Here's what i think,

Most LCD monitors native resolution is 720p.  If a game is displayed on an lcd monitor in 480p it will look like shit, particularily in the jaggy department. This is due to lcd's having their pixels fixed, where as crt monitors do not.  If you are not running a game at its native res, jaggies will be present no matter how much AA there is. I have witnessed this for myself with my 17" HDTV LCD.    In 480p xbox games look horribly jaggy, but when i play them in 480p on my crt monitor, they look much better with noticeably less jaggies.  The difference between the two monitors, in terms of jaggies, is night and day.  Xbox games that i've played in 720p look almost jaggy free on my lcd, it's native resolution.

Because of this, your experiences with the 360 makes me believe that you played the games in 480p on the lcd.  That would account for the jaggies, regardless of the amount of AA involved.

For you not to even consider this as a possibility makes me wonder if you're not one of the select few on these boards who take every chance they can to piss on the 360.

korn00

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 04:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(geo22 @ Oct 21 2005, 12:08 PM)
To foe-hammer: Thank you for the reply regarding the particular issue with the LCDs. As a matter of fact i wasnt aware about that information on the differences of native Lcd resolutions. This could be a factor on why the games i saw looked like shit. Thats why I welcome informative posts on this forum as opposed to people who just love to bash on others. As a matter of fact I might even go back to Wal-Mart and see if i can fiddle with the settings myself if i have time. But remember what I said, I had already asked the guy working there and he told me it was displaying at 720p. Not that i doubt him or anything, but he seemed like a pretty knowledgeable guy. So I'll just have to back there and see it again.

maxlifo

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 05:18:00 AM »

Thanks for the write up.  

Just read through the whole thread and some interesting points have been made.  You would have thought PGR3 would have been in there to play wouldn't you.

To be fair, the Samsung TVs they are using only excel through the VGA and HDMI ports (I own one).  Sounds like they're using the (slightly inferior) component input instead of the VGA.

Still, shouldn't be seeing Jaggies after they've promised we won't.  Early days though.

corkinator

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 05:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Oct 21 2005, 11:37 AM)

jizmo

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 05:59:00 AM »

I'm a graphic designer, I have two LCD monitors at the work, two at home plus a 32" LCD TV, and the scenario foe-hammer described isn't anything what's happening on the screen of kiosks. Take my word for it.

First of all, you're making the wrong assumption that current LCDs would scale uneven resolutions badly. It was an issue with old notebook displays and first generation LCD displays. Current gen LCDs do the job very well, and tend to even oversmoothen the picture instead of jagging them. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Second wrong assumption was that usual LCD resolution would be 720p. That's the past generation. All current gen LCD's are 1366x768px, including that Samsung they're using. So, that's two wrong.

Third wrong assumption was that geo22 was playing a x360 game in the 480p resolution on a 720p TV. For one thing, that's nothing like it, the resolution is much better, and man, have you even bothered to check that none of the x360 games even support 480p, they're all native 720p. MS did screw up the setup, but not that much that they'd configure the kiosks sets output 480p. Please.

For the last point, there isn't any antialiasing present on any latest screenshots released. It's not like they'd turn off the AA just for the time to snap some shots. Or does that actually make any sense to you? If it is, I'm wasting my time.

The edges on the screen are very sharp and I could've seen exactly if there was an attempt to antialias the edge, even if it was scaled wrong, but there wasn't. It was completely AA free. Period.

The problem was more with screen looking oversharpened. For those who actually know something about displays and LCD TV's (and have one back home), you can try setting sharpness (which should be set to around 50 for natural picture) to full so hard edges are over-exaggerated. Like in:

http://img463.imag eshack.us/my.php?image=q49gd.jpg

(take out the space)

Please, don't post ignorant posts if you're trying to accuse others to be ignorant. For others, sorry for the angry post, but I just lose it when I'm insulted of being labeled biased by some ten-year-old every fucking time I try to make some valid points and have a decent conversation. So just stop it. No really, I mean it.

brooksie48

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 06:29:00 AM »

You people are lost. If you were expecting better than the gameplay vids from X05 and TGS you are sadly mistaken. Call of Duty 2 was never touted as some graphical miracle. It's a great game that looks better on the 360 then on the pc. Kameo looks identical to the gameplay vids we have seen. Most of these people talking haven't been around here and don't know what to expect.

kameo

call of duty 2

King Kong is a port from current gen consoles. I never even played it.

Shinamano

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2005, 06:54:00 AM »

God damnit I will settle this once and for all this weekend...there is a Demo station about 30 miles from where I lived...I will go and make sure that everything is set up correctly by getting the case opened and checking myself...then I will give honest opinions about all three games. Settle down people...

psychoace

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Oct 21 2005, 02:10 PM)

Second wrong assumption was that usual LCD resolution would be 720p. That's the past generation. All current gen LCD's are 1366x768px, including that Samsung they're using. So, that's two wrong.

This is true there are a lot more lcd moniters that can support 720p. But these moniter's cost somewhere along the lines of $800+ so it is not likely that MS will shell out almost a grand a kiosk especially when they have about 100+ being setup. I think they might have gone with something a little bit lower to save cost.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Oct 21 2005, 06:10 AM)
I'm a graphic designer, I have two LCD monitors at the work, two at home plus a 32" LCD TV, and the scenario foe-hammer described isn't anything what's happening on the screen of kiosks. Take my word for it.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
I Got To Try The 360...
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 09:32:00 AM »

Also, you ignore the fact that all lcd have fixed pixels.  At very low resolutions, particularily 480p, everything will look jaggy, because there are no scanlines, like there are in crt monitors, that smooth out the pixel's jaggies at 480p.  I don't give a shit how old or new, or what size the lcd is, this will still be the case.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12