xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Connection From 360 Without Microssoft Usb Adapter  (Read 174 times)

harriss

• Archived User
Wireless Connection From 360 Without Microssoft Usb Adapter
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »

Have just brought a 360, want to go online but where my xbox is located its not near to my modem or wireless router. Was wondering rather than buying the £60 usb wireless access point for the 360 if i could use a standard pc wireless adapter around £20, i know there will be an issue with geting the relevent drivers for the pc adapter onto the xbox, but the xbox has a usb port and as such can i not copy the drivers for that adapter to the harddisk of the 360 ?, unsure of the location it would need to go but logically the only thing that MS have done is to have the drivers for the wireless adapter installed already on the harddisk and then its just a plug and play device?

any tips, suggestions or advice glady received.

best regards
steve

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

Well the real problem is that m$ does not allow peripherils to work with it unless they have been approved by them (this includes controllers, wireless adapters, etc). This was a way to get 3rd party hardware makers to still pay m$ for the accessories they make. Now the problem comes in two forms. First, PC wireless adapters are not approved, so they would not be able to even communicate with the 360. Secondly, the USB port cannot be used for anything other than mp3's and pictures unless the device gets that approval from m$ and gets the key or whatever is needed to communicate with the 360 on a level greater than just mp3's and pictures.

So basically, there is no way you can get the drivers onto the 360 via usb. And the 360 does not run a Windows operating system, so your drivers would not even work. The only way to currently get the 360 on a wireless network is with the m$ adapter.

harriss

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 11:30:00 AM »

sad.gif  oh well never mind, thanks for clearing all that up though regarding the technical abilities/limitations of the 360 and how the hardware works. and i suppose then £60 will be making its way over the counter shortly.

when you say that the usb ports are for mp3 and pictures, does this mean any mp3 player and any digital camera ?, also would a usb pen drive be ok ?

thanks for your help

ViNCe_V

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »

Yea, you can hook up an mp3 player (as long as it doesn't use a technique to key the files like those mp3's bought from iTunes for iPod). And a pen drive would work too, just load up a few mp3's and pictures and the 360 will let you view them (go to the Media tab, click on Music or Pictures and do Portable Device).

harriss

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »

smile.gif  ok thanks again, all sorted now, just got to figure out how to play fight night 3 !!!, but thats another matter.

thanks
steve

deke

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

I have used the original XboxWireless Adaptor, and that worked on my 360. But that is still around the same price, maybe some other wireless access points could work.(Where you pick up a wireless signal, and have an ethernet cable running from the WAP to 360) wink.gif

saeben

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »

You can use a crossover cable to bridge the 360 to a pc that has wireless connection. Or bridge 2 wireless routers together.

running_wild

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 02:50:00 AM »

I just hooked up any old networking cable up (The 360 is able to auto-detect the cable type, no more crossovers needed) to a wireless access point. The access point cost me something which I estimate to be about 40 - 45 US$ ($60AU with shipping).

The offficial unit would have cost me about 100 AU dollars to purchase from a local store, which is a bit iffy to me.