xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem With Xell Remap  (Read 170 times)

krazykraz

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »

hey all....

i dumped my nand on my halo edition slim... got 2 bad blocks @ 49 & 4a (dumped it 6 times always the same)

I tried to use jtag tool to remap the bad blocks on the .ecc image putting 49 to 3ff and 4a to 3fe.

that all seemed to work.. wrote it to the console and it wont boot into xell. i double checked all the wiring and its all good... I wrote original nand back to it and it works fine no issues.

My question is....Is there something I am doing wrong here? I have done quite a few slims that all worked right away....and believe it or not this is the first one i have come across with bad blocks... so this is new territory to me.  

anyone have any ideas at all?

krazykraz

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »

Seriously? 35 views and not a response?  Anyone have any ideas?

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(krazykraz @ Feb 22 2012, 07:02 PM) View Post

Seriously? 35 views and not a response?  Anyone have any ideas?

I know having a bad block in the first 50 blocks can be a real pain. Once i had one and i couldn't get it to work so i just replaced the nand itself. Of course you don't want to do that so i subscribed to your thread hoping to learn something new. Hopefully someone knows what's up soon.  I think it is ok to bump your message once a day until you get some help.

Harbinger076

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(krazykraz @ Feb 20 2012, 10:31 PM) View Post

hey all....

i dumped my nand on my halo edition slim... got 2 bad blocks @ 49 & 4a (dumped it 6 times always the same)

I tried to use jtag tool to remap the bad blocks on the .ecc image putting 49 to 3ff and 4a to 3fe.

that all seemed to work.. wrote it to the console and it wont boot into xell. i double checked all the wiring and its all good... I wrote original nand back to it and it works fine no issues.

My question is....Is there something I am doing wrong here? I have done quite a few slims that all worked right away....and believe it or not this is the first one i have come across with bad blocks... so this is new territory to me.  

anyone have any ideas at all?

ok for first 50 blocks if u have bad blocks i suggest remapping them manually using nandpro.

4a we can ignore we just need block 49 to get the ecc image to function properly.

first we gotta remap the blocks to the right spot from your original nand we remap them in a copy of the original nand image so when you make the ecc image it is generated correctly the python/and ecc tools out there will not look in the reserved area of your nand for the proper data.

nandpro original.bin: -r16 block49.bin 3FF 1   (where it should already be located in reserved area)

nandpro original2.bin: -w16 block49.bin 049 1  ( moved the "data" back to block 49 in the original2.bin image )

^^^^^^^  u can do the same for block 4a if u want but what we are after at this point is getting xell reloaded to boot..

take original2.bin and pop it into whatever program ur using to create ecc image and tell it to use original2.bin to build ur ecc image

take newly created ecc image and read data from block 49 location

nandpro image_00000000.ecc: -r16 eccblock49.bin 049 1
nandpro image_00000000.ecc: -e16 049 1
nandpro usb : +w16 image_00000000.ecc   let this finish then
nandpro usb: +w16 eccblock49.bin 3FF 1

ecc image is only 50ish blocks and this is outside your reserved area so u cannot remap a ecc block in the ecc image to the end of the ecc image tongue.gif

sorry if im mistaken on wether this is what u did but following the above should net u xell reloaded

edit: a shortcut method (should work)

remap the bad block from reserved area in original to right spot it belongs in original 2
---------------
nandpro original.bin: -r16 block49.bin 3FF 1   (where it should already be located in reserved area)

nandpro original2.bin: -w16 block49.bin 049 1  ( moved the "data" back to block 49 in the original2.bin image )

create ecc image  

read ecc image block 49

nandpro image_00000000.ecc: -r16 block49.bin 049 1

take ecc image write to original 2

nandpro original2.bin: +w16 image_00000000.ecc

let this finish then write eccblock49.bin to 3FF 1

flash entire original2.bin to console using +w16

Harbinger076

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(krazykraz @ Feb 23 2012, 08:32 PM) View Post

thanks!

I will try this tonite and see what happens...

Cheers!

No prob.

Dicko316

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

What response are you getting form the coolrunner, eg red light is on? and green light flashes every 4-5 secs?
Are you getting any fan resetting sounds?
What about any other unusual fan sounds?
Have you tested continuity on each wire?
Try another coolrunner board? might be a bad batch!
How did you create your .ecc file? and what program etc.
How did you write the image? by LPT/USB? you used the +w command?

Just give as much detail as possible and we should be able to get this thing glitched.

Most of the time the problem point is the STBY_CLK point, try routing the wire a different way.
You also might have to try some alt points.

One way to test if your box will glitch is to leave the chip as it is now, make sure its on, ground connected and red light on. Flash the stock nand image, and boot the box. It should not boot and should give red light error. If it does boot then the wiring or programming is wrong somewhere.

What I do when doing a RGH mod.
1) Dump nand 3 times with nandpro manually, then make sure they all match, if not repeate until they do.
2) Open in 360flashtool just to make sure all the right info is there, it also displays bad blocks too.
3) Create .ecc file with multi builder. I'm pretty sure it handles bad blocks for you automaticaly.
4) write .ecc file to xbox manually using nandpro, if I get errors I write back first 50 blocks of original nand, then rewrite the .ecc file again.
5) Install the pre-programmed Coolrunner or other chip. making sure switches are in correct positions.
6a) Boot xbox, I normally get 4 out of 5 work straight away.
6b) If it fails, its normally the STBY_CLK point.
7) Fine tune boot with either Slim QSB or different lengths of wire or different wire routes, on the CPU-RST wire.

I've had only one box that had 2 bad blocks in the first 50 blocks, and the only problem I had was that the chip (A Xilinx clone) didnt seem to work at all, I swapped it ot for a TX coolrunner and it booted 1st time.

Dicko316

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »

It looks like your getting the right responses from the chip, It definately has the right timings flashed, eg trinity.jed or trinity1.1.jed ?

krazykraz

• Archived User
Problem With Xell Remap
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

well i finally got around to taking another crack at this.... I had since updated to 14719 dash....  I cut 10cm of my blue wire and instead of wrapping under the MB i did a single wrap around the CPU Fan Shroud on top of the MB... I used the latest J-Runner to do all the generating of files and low and behold it glitches in like 4 secs and loads xell and FSD...   thanks to the authors of J-Runner!! worked like a charm!!

Happy to have my RGH back in action....