xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Updating A Jtag System Without Using A Jtag Again?  (Read 64 times)

Inuyasha152

• Archived User
Updating A Jtag System Without Using A Jtag Again?
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »

You don't need to flash the NAND directly once everything is working. There's quite a few programs out there that do the work for you such as Freeboot Toolbox Maker: Link

I recommend you do some research as things CAN go wrong. Here's some quick instructions I just wrote up, hope it helps you get on the right track..

-Short Instructions-

If you don't have your CPU key, boot your 360 with the EJECT button. The Xell(ous) screen should load up. Combine fuses 3&5 to get your CPU key. Triple check to make sure you write it down correctly.

Grab Flash360 from  the 'usual places' - start it up from your console, backup your current nand (press X) and FTP it to your computer (it will be in the same folder that Flash360 was ran from).

Use Freeboot Toolbox Maker to prepare the updated image, follow the onscreen instructions that should be pretty self explanatory.

I recommend checking the file in 360 Flash Tool before flashing. You can download the latest version here - (Enter your CPU key before trying to open your image - Settings > Keys) The File System tab (once the image is opened) should have a total of 29 files.

Once the image is done, rename it to "updflash.bin" and place it on a flash drive (or FTP to flash360 folder on your 360) Finally, flash with Flash360:

Button A (write updflash.bin to NAND)
Button B (Raw Flash without keeping current kv/config).
Ignore these ("WARNING: Keyvault encrypted data check mismatch" and "WARNING: Your current nand is not the ZeroPaired.").
Continue with the Start button.
Pressed A after the 2 warnings to continue with the flash.

Once it's done flashing, press:
Back
Back to Turn off Xbox 360
Shutdown timer...

Remove power cord and wait atleast a minute.

Turn it on and it should be good to go!

Inuyasha152

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Nicotine @ Nov 15 2010, 06:17 AM) View Post

good stuff, i'll be giving it a go tonight!!!!!!!

i was just making sure i didnt need to use the jtag again if possible!

Just for future refference, the JTAG always remains in place (otherwise you'd never be able to boot XBR, Freeboot, etc) it's never removed. What you're referring to is soldering to the NAND (for the initial dump/flash process)

Good luck.

Maximize

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »

yes it is easy to do I downloaded apps and updated my jtag to 12611, and got avatars, and dashlaunch 2.05 in about 20 minutes, then did my second one in about 10 minutes  without rushing of course

Nicotine

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »

tonight i went to do this up.

when i turn the system on with power, it boots to the dash no issue.

when i boot the system with just the eject, i get no video output.

will xellous boot using the HDMI output? or is there something i'm not doing???? (missing something off the hard drive?)

any help appreciated once again!!!! thanks guys!

edit: i downloaded xellous, i can just run that from a usbkey or from the dash off the hdd, correct?

Nicotine

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »

sorry for yet another reply.

i put the wired controller in the back

removed the power cord for 1 min

booted with eject

E79 error?....

is there a way i can launch it manually? the xellous i downloaded was just 4 bins......

Ketchup_Bomb

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Nicotine @ Nov 17 2010, 04:08 PM) View Post
will xellous boot using the HDMI output? or is there something i'm not doing???? (missing something off the hard drive?)

XeLLous will boot, yes, but you will not see anything on screen. It only displays via composite/component video.
You can check your DHCP server to which IP it mapped 'XeLLous' to, assuming it shows computer names. (Or cross check MAC address.) Type the IP into your browser and you will get what XeLLous has to offer via HTTP.

Yes, you can launch XeLLous manually. I believe I got mine when I downloaded DashLaunch. It is an executable with a .bin file at the root of partition 3's /Content/ folder. (Or at the root of partition 3, I cannot remember. But it is possible.)

crash_2012

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »

nice.....  i really think this should be pinned.  this is a great way of updating the dash w/out moving your console.. buddy of mine will now be able to save $10 with each update.... LOL