xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd-x Widescreen Borders?  (Read 86 times)

iksnik

• Archived User
Dvd-x Widescreen Borders?
« on: November 17, 2003, 06:17:00 AM »

I use dvdx to play dvd's on the Xbox, but I have a widescreen Tv and want to get rid of those black borders I get with dvdx, anyone know how to do this?

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

It's the movie itself.  Even though a movie is widescreen they are not all specifically 16x9 in aspect ratio.  Some will fill the screen and a lot of others won't.  The only thing that can be done is to use a zoom or alternative mode on your tv for viewing (it will cut off or stretch some of the picture to fill the screen).  My dvd player actually has an incremental zoom so you can slowly ratchet the image up to fill the whole screen and minimize the distortion.

iksnik

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 07:13:00 AM »

Hmm, not so sure it's the movie itself...
the subtitles are also displayed in the black area, so I can't zoom in with my tv without losing the subtitles..

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »

I have a widescreen tv and there are relatively few movies that spec out to 16x9.  There are black bars from an image not filling the whole screen (anamorphic but not 16x9) and there are black bars that are there from artificial widescreen (4x3 image with widescreen view centered).  Some movies are in fact 16x9 just not a lot of them.  Try some different DVDs.  Lord of the Rings isn't 16x9 but it is anamorphic (real widescreen on 4x3 artifical) so give that one a shot (or most other films) and see if your results are the same.

Pobbe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 11:44:00 PM »

Tried changing the screen? Think it´s left thumbstick+start to get up the options menu!

mlrtime

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 05:15:00 PM »

old reply...

When I change the setting to 16:9 the setting won't stick, it stays at 4:3.  I'm watching a move on a 16:9 set and it is squeezed too much.  Anyway to force the 16:9 setting on dvdx2?

Thanks