xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xbox Web Browser?  (Read 302 times)

StrangeOne

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« on: December 31, 2003, 08:17:00 AM »

Actualy there is someone making an xbox web browser..
I was wondering around source forge and came across it.
There's no files posted or anything yet though.

dzv

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 06:02:00 PM »

smile.gif

doeboi

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 11:00:00 PM »

hmmm... i guess this is my first post ever here... I jus got an xbox this week and been pretty focused on modding it and making it a complete media centre in the livin room.   Anyways, just my thoughts, but why would it take years to create an internet browser.  the only reason it took internet explorer and others are because they got way too many features in them, such as Security, runnin applets, etc, wutever. blabla.

Like someone mentioned how there is the lynx browser for linux which only displays text,  I definitely wouldn't mind even if all the browser did was "fetch" the html code and display it on the screen.  If there is an xbox FTP client that can fetch files, and if there is XBMP that can stream shoutcast servers from "http://blabla", definitely it's possible to create a program that fetch's .html files off websites and displaying the text. That would be a start.  It ain't gonna take even months to do that.

newayz, the only people that can do this is people that got knowledge in xbox coding, so props to every1 creating all these xbox homebrew software.  not ranting at any of u guys for not creating a browser.. haha. jus stating to the person sumwhere above that it aint gonna take years to create one.

Wishi

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 04:29:00 AM »

doeboi: Well blatantly that's very easy but the fact is all of these people are saying they wouldn't mind if all it did was display HTML or some horrible version, but how many people would actually use it like that?

Not many I feel.

melee

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 07:54:00 AM »

I wouldnt mind a webbrowser ment for xbox.  Thats the only reason I am installing this 3gig bethomoth known as lnuix.  I mean, your right we already got XMP, and other ment for xbox apps that I use over anything that comes with linuix.  

Look at all the setup issues with linuix.  It would be nice to execute xbe, then start browsing.

And flash games on my box, that is where its at.

Zero_Cool

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

i would love a web browser, i understand its complicated but i mean it would sorta be worth it, or at least like an XIRC (if one exists sorry, i didnt notice it) and theres the XFTP prog so you got xbins right there.

StrangeOne

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 08:17:00 AM »

http://sourceforge.n...ojects/xbrowse/

See that? There now stop requesting, we've all heard it a billion times and now someone is doing something about it

hell, there's even an AIM Client being made for xbox..
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xid/

Wishi

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but

xbrowse: Registered: 2003-04-30 21:03
xid Registered: 2003-01-19 20:14

devguy

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »

Glad to hear it works well, but damn this is an old topic!

Smoko

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 04:27:00 AM »

LincsBox. And you cant make a good fully functional browser in a few days.

Smoko

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(pajp @ Jan 5 2006, 03:23 AM) View Post

I wouldnt trust anything ad-hoc as a web browser. Every trojan, worm and virus on the planet would take residence on the xbox very quickly. As everyone is quick to point out the xbox is essentially a pc and pc's are the worst when it comes to net security.

I installed Xebian Linux on the kids xbox and now they have Mozilla, email, open office and loads of stuff to keep the buggers off my pc. They can even print their homework from it. I love it to bits..

But thats my reasons

You dont seem to under stand much, Linux runs on PC's. It's the operating system and programs with the holes. And, as fate would have it none of them would affect the xbox. Unless you ran a windows CE one is the Windows CE port, or a linux based one in a xbox-linux distro. It would have to be custom crafted to work with the xbox, as it can only run one .xbe at a time. So it would have to have some sort of appealing feature to keep the user entertained while it done it's work.

Maybe you should do some research before you try sounding half smart?

Smoko

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(LESTAT @ Dec 4 2003, 02:32 PM) View Post

what os has thru history and currently, more bugs and security issues than windows ??
LINUX!!!
say all you want,,  but its the truth,.

why not rip linux and keep mozilla  and the kernel ??

is this possible ??

remove all the shit that is in linuXbox, and just keep mozilla and the kernels required for it ?  install it and tadaaa  you have your browser.

Can anyone guess who has an IQ lower than a peice of shit? LESTAT, shut your mouth while your ahead. windows has more vulnrabilitys than any other commercial OS. Your lack of knowledge on how operating systems and programs work shows you've been on windows for too long. You are a fanboy, and fanboys need to die. So go do your job.

QUOTE(zinkoxyde @ Dec 3 2003, 06:00 PM)

The MS XDK includes net access examples. Are you telling me it would take years of development to send a "GET" request to a server? It doesn't need to be more complicated then lynx to start with, IMHO. Sorry to rant, but this thread was the end of my patience with the high and mighty linux community.

That's not hard, but making it render all the data is. Think before you speak. You might as well start getting Linksboks better.

davethompson

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 02:14:00 AM »

Hi All,

I agree with Smoko that the current only option is to use Linksbox. Sure, it doesn't have CSS and it's javascript is a bit dodgy, but it's the best option.

And for the record, with the KHTML/Gecko engine, I don't think it would take that long for an experienced C++ programmer (which I am not!!!!) to produce a decent enough browser for the Xbox. The longest time (as I've said before) would be to create the text inputs and stuff as the Xbox API doesn't have them built in.

Cheers,

Dave

Smoko

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 04:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(davethompson @ Jan 6 2006, 10:21 AM) View Post

Hi All,

I agree with Smoko that the current only option is to use Linksbox. Sure, it doesn't have CSS and it's javascript is a bit dodgy, but it's the best option.

And for the record, with the KHTML/Gecko engine, I don't think it would take that long for an experienced C++ programmer (which I am not!!!!) to produce a decent enough browser for the Xbox. The longest time (as I've said before) would be to create the text inputs and stuff as the Xbox API doesn't have them built in.

Cheers,

Dave

You would have to design and create an interface, rewrite any sockets and a bunch of other stuff.

cayotic

• Archived User
Xbox Web Browser?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 02:43:00 AM »

People write scripts aka virus for the specific OS. Windows, MAC, Linux. This process takes time; time that the programmer can’t afford spends porting the virus to every system. Everyone and their dead grandmother uses M$. So it makes sense that if you want to create a single virus and infect the majority of people then you script it for the operating system that is used by the majority.

A 2 bit hack isn't going to take the time to create a virus for the Xbox for a couple of different reasons. There isn't as much to gain on behalf of the hacker; i.e. monetarily of intellectually. They can't crack our box and hopes of obtaining our social security information nor out credit cards numbers.

Spybot is only now creating antispyware software for cell phones. I could only imagine the headache this will cause. First of all, cell phone manufactures are not like software developers. They could give 2 shits if your cell phone is compatible with someone elese in terms of ring tones, midlets, or simple user contact info. From my perspective, digi cams are for more advanced than cell phones because they can be easily connected to your PC. This feature increases the ease of use and individual capabilities exponentially.
Pages: [1] 2 3