xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Professional 3d Artist / Writer  (Read 68 times)

Jynks

• Archived User
Professional 3d Artist / Writer
« on: September 07, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »

Wanted:- PROGRAMMERS

Are you a programmer? Have you ever wanted to make fascinating games for the homebrew console scene? Do you, as a programmer, find that the one thing you need is a 3D artist / Designer to give your code visual life?

Well come and join DataHOOK's small but growing group of avid gamers. We currently have myself (Professional 3D artist with 6 published PC and 2 PS2 titles) And my mates Itto, who has had 4 comics produced and is currently working on TV cartoons for kids and Custard, an aspiring talented electronic music artist and studying sound technician. Between us there is nothing we can not draw, build in 3D, animate, foly or soundtrack.

We wish to start making our own computer games and to this end want to start making Xbox homebrews. Yet we can not code to save our mothers and even though we have both dabbled a little during the planning of our projects, we truly need help from someone who understands programming and wants to create homebrew games.

So if you are a programmer who either has or wants to program for the Xbox, then please reply, PM or email me for further details. Only those truly interested and willing to put in some time on a fun and rewarding hobby need apply. All DataHOOK members have creative input into any titles made.

Jynks
----- What one man can imagine can be made real by many (Jules Vern) ----
----- Only the serious can make the future - (Albert Einstein) ----

jippie

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2003, 01:28:00 AM »

Hi,

how do I join :-)

I'm not great yet, but I'm getting better, I do have a life so I can only give you my free time.
But the more I do this the better it gets, and more fun.

jippie

Jynks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2003, 03:08:00 AM »

Hi there!! Thats cool if you are only learning, we have planned our projects so they they are a sliding scale of complication. That way we Will be able to see some results quickly. I'll send you a PM with my IM details and email addy, we can discuss details there.

To anyone else please leave a reply!!

jippie

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 03:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (Jynks @ Sep 8 2003, 10:57 AM)
Hi there!! Thats cool if you are only learning, we have planned our projects so they they are a sliding scale of complication. That way we Will be able to see some results quickly. I'll send you a PM with my IM details and email addy, we can discuss details there.

To anyone else please leave a reply!!

Great I be waiting.

Check my website, you can get an idea of my level.
boxes is my latest.

jippie

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »

Always interested in ideas. I'm not amazing either but I've done and am doing some stuff, always learning of course too.

So keep me in the loop if you wish smile.gif

Jynks

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 02:15:00 PM »

Great, sounds cool. Do you have a www page or something I can get an idea of anything you have done?

As I am not a programmer I do not know how they work together? Is it easier or a single programmer to work on simpler stuff than to have 2 programmers working on it? I know that when it gets complicated you guys need help but I have been told that if I recruit to many programmers then they will but heads.....

I'll send you a PM with my contact details and then we can have a chat and see if you are interested.

With the programmers we are trying to find our starting point. We all have ideas, concepts etc. I'm the realist, Itto the idealist, between us we are only limited buy what is possible with the code. When I was doing the programming the ideas had to be REAL simple wink.gif, but just by looking at jippie's stuff we can already upgrade our plans a little to something more complicated!!... .. . cool.

pundy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »

What type of programmer are you looking for?  I have professional exprerience programming in C in a unix environment... (do it for a living).  It would be good if you could post some more details of what you are looking for...

I would guess you looking for C++ programmers under Windows VC++, preferably with exprerience using xdk...  Graphics programming would be at the top (I say this as I work in backend software design and implementation).

That being said and done you probably also want a designer (not just programmers) who has experience coding exprerience to be able to pull things together and ensure that you have a design that can be implemented in code

I will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers.

Jynks

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »

Well it depends, we are kinda looking for all rounders. A bit of this anda bit of that. Once I get a better idea of what the people who join can do I can start dividing them up into things like that.

To be honest I think that those decisions will be done by the programmer, we get a programmer involved as an all rounder and as the projects grow he/she will know wat he/she needs more than I, so I think that as long as me and Itto are kept in the loop the programming can be handled by them.

On the games I have worked on the programmers have always been in a separate department, with completely separate "goals" all based on engine development while the GFX dept. has its own goals based on "visual coherence" and "product deadline".  So the programers build a better box, and the GFX dept squish, push and shave the game concept untill it fits inside it on release deadline.

Now they work together for a common aim but in a way they are almost separate. I want us to be a little closer and work together more, but I've seen this approach work at a few companies and it seams like a good way to handel it.

With any luck we will get something knocked up so you can see this thread grow... and have something to read.

wink.gif

Novahux

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 12:56:00 AM »

Good luck guys, we could do with some cutting edge homebrew.  

This post has been edited by Novahux: Sep 9 2003, 10:43 AM

Jynks

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »

We are set for artists, but not for 3D guys. I'm a 3d dude, but (for example) the chess game we are doing we have 2 designers making the chess characters (they are arguing over the board at the mo lol, artists! sheeze) But I am only doing 3d plus organizing it all so you are not off the hook, expect a message. Spesh as Jippe said you were a fellow Aussie!!

jippie

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 02:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (Jynks @ Sep 16 2003, 12:06 AM)
We are set for artists, but not for 3D guys. I'm a 3d dude, but (for example) the chess game we are doing we have 2 designers making the chess characters

That's handy chess game, what do you use forthe 3d stuff, 3dmax?
As I can try and get something up and running.

I had this idea for using quake2 soliders, but not sure I can do that yet :-)

jippie

Jynks

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 11:56:00 PM »

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this off the ground. I know you wer expecting a little faster take off than this and let me say that it will take off...  Just ran into a spot of bad luck in the real world (Yanks bought out are company and they retrenched everyone but higher management) so I am currently spending my time looking for jobs.... but as soon as I am set again expect this tread to pick right back up again.

The chess game is a good idea, I think we can make a go of it.... I need to talk with you in more detail about how the game can be structured but to that end I have layed out a construction plan that should enable us to build the game and not have to wait 65 months to see something move....

My server should be up soon, I know I have been saying that for ages, and there we can nut out details like this head to head (I would prefer not to use quake chars as they are owned by ID... more fun to make our own anyways.... though maybe we can rip the model formate or somthing... need to talk about it)

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

I'd assume that jippie meant just the model format and not the actual models. Making the models is the 3D guys jobbies.

Jynks

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »

I'd hope so. But that is why i need to chat with him about the programming side. Is it easier to create the 3D stuff to work in a quake engine on pc then convert the QUAKE model data into the game

I mean there are hundreds of good converters for making quke/unreal etc etc animations

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »

Como estas, gentlemen.  I'm still working on my project, which will take some time, but I'd like it if you could keep me updated on what you guys are up to.  Perhaps Wishi and I can engage in something in the future, along with you guys.  I also know another fantastic artist who would be interested.
Pages: [1] 2