xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Voice Chat Software  (Read 54 times)

j0hnnyb0y84

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« on: July 06, 2003, 09:59:00 PM »

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I ran several searches and found nothing on it... so please don't flame me if it's been answered before.

Is there any software currently in development that will allow us to voice chat w/ others using the headset (not just as an in-game feature but as a dedicated prog.)

slidellsimba2

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »

NOPE

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 08:12:00 PM »

yup... developed by alexander graham bell, known as the "telephone"... soon to be ported to the xbox ;)

This post has been edited by The unProfessional: Jul 8 2003, 03:13 AM

da_frog

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 09:07:00 PM »

Hmmmm shouldnt be to hard to code some network support some kindfriend system ala messanger programs , get the 'live' headset support  :lol:  I have a idea find some sort of open source chat program phone support aka voice program and mix them with the xbox maker thingie there you go

EvilWays

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »

Yeah...while you're at it, I need you to redo that T.P.S. report.

Looking thru the documentation for the Xbox SDK, it might be easy to do something like that, but who knows.

mschoolbus

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 06:37:00 AM »

I already have the networking code written in C (I do it for a living), use that and some Realtime Transfer Protocol (RTP) code along with a VoIP compression scheme and you have yourself a little voice chat session.

The way RTP generally works in this case is the code directly accesses the hardware (microphone, or in this case headset) to get the current stream of audio.  It then compresses the data and streams it out in a quick enough way that you can have a pretty decent conversation.  The compression is even variable, so you could even adapt for slower connections.

I would code everything but the GUI, anyone interested in helping then send an AIM msg to "MSchoolbus" and we will talk.

Wishi

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 08:40:00 AM »

TheDaddy from XLink and I worked on voice chat for Bo-XLink and it works pretty nicely. It wouldn't be too hard to get a separate chat app although in Bo-XLink the traffic is all routed through the PC app.

switzch

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 02:14:00 PM »

MS is releasing this very feature soon
you will need LIVE tho.

da_frog

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »

Well some of us dont want to pay for live (yeah i know im cheap) but hey you dont have to pay for aol , yahoo , or msn messanger why should anyone have to pay for live

@mschoolbus: sorry my coding skills arent worth a good sh!t we need some one who can get this project moving

@everybody else: I think this would be one cool app I mean come on this would rock being able to talk to a friend with out holding a phone and for FREE even and some people mighht say that would be reinventing the wheel but for one I would love to have this app and I know a few others who would love to have and use this TOO (you know who you are)

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

mschoolbus

• Archived User
Voice Chat Software
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 07:43:00 AM »

I don't have time to completely setup and manage the whole project, but I may be able to provide hosting (www,ftp,email,etc) and definetly code if someone wants to get this going.

If I am able to provide hosting, I don't want to make another website either, so someone could do that.