xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2tb Esata Connect To Side  (Read 155 times)

jgsieve

• Archived User
2tb Esata Connect To Side
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »

I want to know if anybody has any idea if this might work. I want to take the electronics out of a 360 HDD enclosure, and put a gender changer on the end of the internal sata cable for the laptop drive. like http://www.cpustuff.com/7-pin-internal-sat...-satamf19i.html" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">here

Then get a sata to esata bracket and mount it at the back.

get a esata external enclosure and a 2TB hard drive and set it to SATA1 150. This way all games both xbla and games on demand were on one drive and without the USB bottleneck.

Would this work? The thing I could think that it wouldn't work is because the HDD power will not be used. Anyone?

F1LTER

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(jgsieve @ Jan 12 2010, 10:55 PM) View Post

I want to know if anybody has any idea if this might work. I want to take the electronics out of a 360 HDD enclosure, and put a gender changer on the end of the internal sata cable for the laptop drive. like http://www.cpustuff....-satamf19i.html]here[/url]

Then get a sata to esata bracket and mount it at the back.

get a esata external enclosure and a 2TB hard drive and set it to SATA1 150. This way all games both xbla and games on demand were on one drive and without the USB bottleneck.

Would this work? The thing I could think that it wouldn't work is because the HDD power will not be used. Anyone?

I have done almost the same thing.. I chopped the M$ sata connector, soldered the M$ side to a standard sata data cable. I also tapped the 12v,5v,Gnd from inside the 360 and have a molex sticking out. If you are careful you can break apart the one peice sata data/pwr connector and just gender change the data part or solder up something. anyways imo yeah your plan should work.

EDIT:The only reason I did not do it your way is because I did not want to wait for the gender changer..smile.gif

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »

thanks for the response. So I don't have to use the xbox to power the drive, I can just use my external enclosure? what are the load times like? and did you have to set it to sata1 150?

gawl4

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

I actually planned on doing this as well, only I'm just going to cut a hole in the back of my 360 hdd enclosure and run this cable though.

This post has been edited by gawl4: Jan 13 2010, 04:00 AM

F1LTER

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(jgsieve @ Jan 12 2010, 11:47 PM) *

thanks for the response. So I don't have to use the xbox to power the drive, I can just use my external enclosure? what are the load times like? and did you have to set it to sata1 150?

No I used Enclosure to power my drive at first to verify the sata data connection was working... I did not have to change the sata1 jumper.

And load times...uhm...what load times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  Really though they are very quick

This post has been edited by F1LTER: Jan 13 2010, 07:41 AM

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »

Thats Awesome! I just ordered a 2TB Hitachi. I am going to put the esata port on the back of the hdd enclosure. I can't wait to load games at 150 MBps! (which the hitachi will do!)

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »

one more question, when the 360 formats the drive, does it partition it? if so, what size will I be left with? I read somewhere that it creates one large partition, if so, Can I still play Xbox1 games, and what is the file structure for cache and other things?

Thanks

This post has been edited by jgsieve: Jan 14 2010, 02:40 PM

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »

ok, I think I found my answer, http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=701738

Can you connect your esata hard drive to your pc and browse it with 360 explorer?, I read That this cannot yet be done. if not, I guess you use xexloader to copy content?

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »

update! I received my parts over the weekend. check it out

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=703014

Looouky

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(jgsieve @ Jan 14 2010, 03:19 PM) View Post

ok, I think I found my answer, http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=701738

Can you connect your esata hard drive to your pc and browse it with 360 explorer?, I read That this cannot yet be done. if not, I guess you use xexloader to copy content?

Yes you have to hex edit xplorer360 with a magic number.

this is from a post from xbh

"I can't neccessarily speak for MagnusHydra's method, because it differs slightly to mine, but I can access my hard drive using FATXplorer, modio, le fluffie and xplorer360. Sadly they all seem a little dodgy when trying to move lots of things at once. To get xplorer360 working with 500gb the magic number is 00 40 73 at offset F0C0 in Xplorer360_09b6_250gb.exe.

The way to work out the magic number for modding Xplorer360 is to follow the instructions for finding name.txt in my post earlier, so you should get 0x1381F0000 as the offset on 500gb. Then subtract 0x130eb1000 to get 0x7340000. Drop a zero, and group into pairs (73 40 00) then reverse the order to get 00 40 73." by patstew.

original thread:

http://www.xboxhacke...?topic=13396.20

If you need help working out the magic number let me know I can help you once you start.

For your 3.5 mod there is good thread by frostie too you can read it here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=699024

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

Thanks! I'll have to see. I'm going to give Magnus's method a shot because I want to try and keep xbox 1 compatibility. I'm crossing my fingers once I have the necessary partitions, The fatxplorer will see the drive and files. I'll know more tomorrow night.

Looouky

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »

Use Magnus method to get the missing partitions and then refer to patstew statement to get xplorer360 working that is what I did. They are really two entirely different things. I believe patstew statement is a little of context when he said it, but in those few little lines he does tell you how to modify xplorer360 to work with any hdd.

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »

ok, I just got around to testing it and i took a drive that has never been used, put it in my enclosure and it wont show up in the memory section, so I can't format it. Am I missing something? it 2TB btw

Looouky

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »

What type of drive your using 3.5 or 2.5? and your connecting through the ms sata port meant for hdd and not usb right?

jgsieve

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »

yeah, through the HDD port, it's a 3.5 in 2TB in a esata case, if anyone wants to do the mod, I suggest you get this to save yourselves the headache I have

http://www.cpustuff....a-8-inches.html
Pages: [1] 2