xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zephyr With Cb4580, Flashed As A Falcon!  (Read 145 times)

b1g1an

• Archived User
Zephyr With Cb4580, Flashed As A Falcon!
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »

My Zephyr went on holiday to Germany at the beginning of last year suffering from RROD, only the motherboard was replaced.

After dumping the nand Degraded reported the CB as 4580 which has been listed as an exploitable exception so I ploughed on, flashing the recently posted 3b, no errors reported either reading or writing and the three dumps were identical.

When turning it on with the TV attached it wouldn't start properly, centre light and fan coming on...then off...then on...then off...and so on until I pulled the power. First thing I tried was reflashing, with the same result, then started worrying about my soldering but quick Google revealed the only reported success with this board/CB combination was in a post on xboxhacker and was when it was accidentally flashed with the the Falcon XBR so thought it was worth a go. The moment the flash finished the continual on off routine started again without me touching it so I shut everything down and left it overnight. Thought I just try starting it up again tonight before going back to the drawing board and it started up correctly and appears to run perfectly.

So anyone with a repaired Zephyr reporting this CB that doesn't seem to work, pretend it's a Falcon and all may be fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

moja

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »

I have received a Zephyr with CB 4580.  I am decent at soldering and a multimeter, but even with everything triple-checked (and having successfully done a Jasper) I was going crazy flashing the Zephyr version over and over only to get 3 RROD and no Xell.  Am now flashing this as Falcon as I type.  If all is well, I will be one happy camper.

moja

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »

Update: Flashed, and booted successfully.  Thanks for this info!  I was pulling my hair out.

b1g1an

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:52:00 AM »

No worries, I have seen this info mentioned in a couple of other topics on here since but the useless search doesn't find it!

Just for the hell of it I flashed mine with the Zephyr XBR to see if it was just a fluke or bad flash the first time but sure enough it stopped working, put the Falcon one back and am back in business.

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »

I finally had some time to play with my zephyr xbr console that I flashed last weekend and when I popped in my hard drive from my other non exploitable console I got E79 error. After E79 I always have to go through inital setup (language,display...). If I put the HD in after E79 reboot it goes through setup but hangs up on profile setup. If I reboot then goes to E79 again... so there is no way to use my HD as it is right now.

I read somewhere that I may need to reflash the XBR config instead of my orig. For that I'd neet to take the cover off again and reconnect my LPT. I did not do the network cable/adapter thing but I did solder in pins like an xbox chip header so I can easily attach my 25pin connector.

I'm just wondering what I should do to fix this now, try the XBR config or try the falcon XBR bin. Also sometimes I turn on with eject by mistake and it often goes to E79 instead of Xell. I'd rather loose that feature and boot Xell some other way.

bulle48

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »

I had similar problems... sometimes it would boot up fine, other times I get E71/E79 and have to do setup again.  I think this is because there were some write errors that don't get reported by Nandpro.  

If you can get Xell to run then try re-flashing from linux using Lflash.c... it's much more reliable than flashing via LPT, but only works on 16MB NAND atm.  If you are having problems with Xell booting, try using nandpro just for writing Xell (first 2MB of NAND), and then flash in linux... worked great for me, and way faster than Nandpro over LPT.

smokeDOGGbaby

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »

Wondering if I should give this a shot . I have 4558 cb don't know if it matters or not.
When I flash xbr I get e79 or Christmas lights xell loads fine and gentoo too.

This post has been edited by smokeDOGGbaby: Jan 9 2010, 10:37 AM

moja

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »

Yeah that's the one thing I don't have working yet is Xell.  Just hangs at a black screen, and when I reboot into XBR I have to redo setup - kinda annoying.  This weekend I'm going to use nandpro to flash redline xell.  Maybe though because I only flashed my rawkv and not my rawconfig when doing xbr?  I'll try injecting the config first to the nand, then if that doesn't work try xell.  BTW tried HDMI and component.

NineLime

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(moja @ Jan 9 2010, 06:17 AM) View Post

Yeah that's the one thing I don't have working yet is Xell.  Just hangs at a black screen, and when I reboot into XBR I have to redo setup - kinda annoying.  This weekend I'm going to use nandpro to flash redline xell.  Maybe though because I only flashed my rawkv and not my rawconfig when doing xbr?  I'll try injecting the config first to the nand, then if that doesn't work try xell.  BTW tried HDMI and component.

Hmmm well I just had the same problem, both my xboxes im modding are zephyrs, zephyr xbr doesnt work at all, and the xell included in that package gets hung before it can boot it off of the cd. Fortunately I got the fuses in a picture so I can find the DVD key for that system.

Can you change the xell to zephyr with any discs you can boot from inside the hacked xbr3 kernel?

The other one... I thought it was a falcon, because the post was broken off of the psu plug before I got it. I flashed it with falcon, and did the same exact thing you're saying, it asked to do the initial config of the system every time I'd start. Xex loader disc worked, but no xell. I flashed this 3 times after that, a few times with zephyr and the last time with falcon (wrong key oops haha).

I want to use linux so bad on my 360. The falcon firmware made the fans louder I think... but maybe not,that happens when the cpu heatsink isn't doing its job totally.

b1g1an

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »

I tried putting the hard disk from my other box, untouched genuine Falcon, and get 3 red lights or E79 all the time but when I attached a virginal 500Gb disk to it it was fine, erased it and copied stuff to it no problem.

Don't know if Xell works as I haven't connected it by anything other than HDMI yet, but it doesn't error when booted with the eject button, just a black screen which I gather is normal as there is no HDMI support in Xell.

Have also found that if I remove something after turning off from when it is running fine and restart it E79s or one red lights and the only way around this is to unplug it for a while and then put whatever I removed back in again. If you remove the item, memory card for example, while it's running it usually works fine next time without it.

When flashing I can't inject the config into the nand as it errors so can only flash a preinjected file but have redumped the 'working' version and compared it to the version on my pc and it matches perfectly so assume there's no problems there.

Makes me wonder if what we have is actually neither Zephyr or Falcon and is some sort of hybrid with some unique code in it's nand and needs a unique version of it's own. It sounds like this combination is only in 360s that have been repaired by Microsoft, they said they'd replaced the motherboard in mine, and is actually bits of a Falcon board modified to fit the Zephyr hardware put back onto it. On the other hand it might be something obvious we are overlooking!

This post has been edited by b1g1an: Jan 9 2010, 12:51 PM

NineLime

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »

There's no doubt they're zephyrs. The XBR packages include xell for each motherboard revision, so when the dash works on your zephyr that is supposed to be for a falcon you're lucky, but the xell expects a different CPU architecture and wont work maybe? Im about to have another go at flashing in a sec I'll be back... It will be falcon on zephyr thats the only thing that works for me.

Oh yeah, and for one of my zephyrs, I had to change all the resistors to 50ohms instead of 100, because before all it would give me was error sequences. Hope that helps someone. The other zephyr worked fine with 100 ohm resistors. I didnt bypass the diodes.

Motherboard Asus a8n5x socket 939 nforce 4, amd 3800+ X2, 2gb ram, XP pro

This post has been edited by NineLime: Jan 9 2010, 07:23 PM

Big_Ted

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Jan 8 2010, 06:50 PM) *

I finally had some time to play with my zephyr xbr console that I flashed last weekend and when I popped in my hard drive from my other non exploitable console I got E79 error. After E79 I always have to go through inital setup (language,display...). If I put the HD in after E79 reboot it goes through setup but hangs up on profile setup. If I reboot then goes to E79 again... so there is no way to use my HD as it is right now.

I had the same issue with my bro's zephyr, rechecked wiring etc, re flashed, and it seems ok at present. might have a go with the falcon one if it still gives me the run around. wonder if there is a zephyr issue with xbr, it was the last one to come out(of the 16mb) and it was rushed though.

Ted

This post has been edited by Big_Ted: Jan 9 2010, 10:01 PM

NineLime

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Big_Ted @ Jan 9 2010, 03:08 PM) View Post

I had the same issue with my bro's zephyr, rechecked wiring etc, re flashed, and it seems ok at present. might have a go with the falcon one if it still gives me the run around. wonder if there is a zephyr issue with xbr, it was the last one to come out(of the 16mb) and it was rushed through.

Ted

I just really want one homebrew xbox to work right!

Zephyr (falcon xbr)#1 Needs dvd key, doesnt load games but loads xexloader disc, games load as a dvd, cant get xell to start.

Zephyr (falcon xbr)#2 Random e79 errors sometimes when starting sometimes not, always does initial startup if it does boot. Cant get xell to start on this either.

NineLime

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »

(IMG:http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3871/img1139g.jpg)
That happens when I try to load up gentoo on the one that has a working DVD usually.
(IMG:http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx249/ninelime/IMG_1141.jpg) It's the one on the top

Bottom one has bad dvd, both have falcon, I'm really pissed I cant get anything cool going with these.

NineLime

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »

This is #2, the one with the good dvd rom. (IMG:http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3871/img1139g.jpg)

Is there a way to change the xell without messing up the rest of the flash? Is there an older xell for zephyr that could work to boot gentoo? Also the old xell said DVD key I think, I need that on my other one, can anyone confirm this?
Pages: [1] 2