xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is It Necessary To Keep Lpt Flash Cable After Modding?  (Read 45 times)

crimpshrine

• Archived User
Is It Necessary To Keep Lpt Flash Cable After Modding?
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »

So I did the JTAG hack, hooked up the LPT cable to the nand, read the first 2 meg off my 256 NAND, wrote the XHELL binary to the first 2 megs of NAND, booted gentoo and did the dump to save myself 9.5 hours.  (Then put the original 2 meg file inplace of xhell and put that away incase I ever need to flash that back to my NAND)

I then extracted the appropriate files from my NAND/injected them into XBR_Jasper_6723_256_512_8955_1_fixed.bin and flashed that back to my 256 Jasper.

Do I really need to keep the wires connected for NAND flashing?

Is it likely that someone will create a native Xbox 360 application that will allow flashing safely of the Nand?

Or did I miss something and that is available NOW?

And the component people talk about removing to keep the ability of EFUSES to be blown, is it worth it to remove it?  I am not going on live ever, is there any reason to keep that capability in place?

Thanks

crimpshrine

• Archived User
Is It Necessary To Keep Lpt Flash Cable After Modding?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Dec 30 2009, 07:04 AM) View Post

From what I understand, the 16mb version of lflash can directly flash the NAND, but not the large block lflash.  I'm sure that something will be developed to handle it, but at least for now, the only way for you to flash your NAND is through your computer.  As for the resistor, removing it will prevent you from accidentally updating your Xbox, disabling your ability to run homebrew after a fuse is blown, but if you're sure that won't happen, then you can leave it in place.

Thanks I did not know that the smaller nands could be flashed with lflash.c.  I knew they could be read.

I am just going to remove it and hope there is a way to flash it through software on the 360 before a better updated kernel comes out.  If someone modified lflash.c to dump larger Nands I would assume someone will do the same for the capability to flash larger Nands as safe as possible.

and I meant XeLL, I know I said xhell above.