xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cygnos360 Sample: High-Res Pictures  (Read 205 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Cygnos360 Sample: High-Res Pictures
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | February 5 22:04 EST | News Category: Xbox360

We received a sample of the Cygnos360 from Team Cygnos. It's a chip that allows you to have more than one kernel on your Xbox 360. For now it's mostly interesting for people who have the knowledge and tools to get their Xbox 360 CPU key (with an Infectus chip for example) and own a Xbox 360 console with kernel 4532/4548 (Hypervisor exploit) or below or own a non-HDMI Xbox360 and the tools required to perform the downgrade exploit.
The chip allows you to switch between the latest MS kernel (play games, LIVE) and your "exploitable kernel" (boot linux) or a kernel with modified keyvault parameters (like change game region for example).
For now ... here are some pictures of the sample already. Click for high-res!

Official Site: http://www.cygnos360.com
Buy Now: divineo.com

RRoD420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »

FIRST HAHA. Sorry it's the purple haze talking...

Sick, this is progress. I really don't care about dual booting i wanna flash my nand with a completely custom kernal... install dashboards, games homebrew on the hdd. I got patience.. and LOVE for the talented people involved in all this. thank you.

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »

How complete is the linux that you can run with this?
Can you run linux XBMC for example?

.ISO

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(dokworm @ Feb 5 2009, 10:57 PM) View Post

How complete is the linux that you can run with this?
Can you run linux XBMC for example?

This is for the 360, not Xbox 1

Anyways, i have recived a sample of this from my boss, and installed it on my xbox 360.
It's pretty awesome, but this reqires you to lift the CE pin on the NAND, which is a pain in the arse. There's a easier way to do this, i'll post up a few pics once this is released biggrin.gif

HackaJack

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(.ISO @ Feb 6 2009, 07:15 AM) View Post

Anyways, i have recived a sample of this from my boss, and installed it on my xbox 360.
It's pretty awesome, but this reqires you to lift the CE pin on the NAND, which is a pain in the arse. There's a easier way to do this, i'll post up a few pics once this is released biggrin.gif

How does this chip store the new lockdown value in the exploitable kernel if you have a dashboard update?

Remember Microsoft check that a fuse has blown before the upgrade will complete meaning the exploitable flash image on this chip will need to be updated each and every time a new dash version is installed.

Have they thought of this in their design?

mist4fun

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(.ISO @ Feb 5 2009, 11:15 PM) View Post

I believe he was asking about running linux on the 360 and then running XMBC on linux. To answer his question linux on the 360 does not have audio and has very basic video support.

red_aremer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »

Pretty useless apart from changing the region if you ask me

thethinker360

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:00 AM »

I believe its pretty convenient. i want to try to use it for protecting "dirty data" to go back to MS.

my idea is to use it on a new console, not for using any lunix or region code change (which is cool but that is currently not possible on the HDMI consoles) but for ban-prevention.

since it also fits into the new ones mechanically, you can clone your NAND and then use the NAND on the Cygnos chip when you play backups (offline). the data which can reveal that youre using backups is then stored on the secondary NAND (in the secdata.bin and maybe somewhere else). so when you turn off your console, then switch to the original NAND, boot up and go on live none of that data would be visible to M$ because it is on the NAND thats mechanically off.

This post has been edited by thethinker360: Feb 6 2009, 12:56 PM

40_ounce

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »

Are you guys going to show us a install video or some pics of the install? I would like to see this thing in action.

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(.ISO @ Feb 6 2009, 08:15 AM) View Post

Um, yeah, I know it isn't for XBOX1, there is a linux version of XBMC, my question was how complete is the linux that you can run on the 360 via the exploit.
i.e. what linux apps can you run etc. is there any point?
If you could run a linux build of XBMC then the 360 becomes somewhat useful, if not then it is interesting but too limiting to be of much use having a linux distro that can't tun anything much.
As I said I have no idea if that is the case, hence the question.

Thanks mist4fun for the answer...

neildo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »

Chocolate teapot.

I hung onto a 4753 Core for eons and the lack of x360 Linux progress sealed its fate.

mac4drew

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(dokworm @ Feb 6 2009, 03:32 PM) View Post

If you could run a linux build of XBMC then the 360 becomes somewhat useful, if not then it is interesting but too limiting to be of much use having a linux distro that can't tun anything much.

You probably won't ever be able to run a build of XBMC on the 360, even if Linux on the 360 progresses to the point where it's very robust.  Here's why:

XBMC is and has always been built only for the x86 architecture.  The Xbox1 shares the x86 architecture with most common PCs, which is why it was relatively easy for team-XBMC to port XBMC to the x86 versions of Ubuntu Linux, Windows NT, and Mac OS X.  These OSs only run on computers based on the x86 architecture.  

The 360 is on the PowerPC (PPC) architecture, as is the PS3, and as are older Macs (pre-Intel).  The versions of Ubuntu Linux or Debian or Mac OS X that run on PPC and x86 may look the same, but under the hood they're very different animals, because the architectures are quite different and not cross-compatible for more than very simple programs.  (Mac OS X does accomplish backwards compatibility to PPC through an emulation layer, sort of the opposite of how the 360 runs Xbox1 games.  But in both cases there is a serious tax on speed.)  

To port XBMC or any app as complex as XBMC from x86 to PPC would be quite an undertaking, and it's not something anyone on team-XBMC plans to do anytime soon.  

The official thread on the XBMC forums:
http://xbmc.org/foru...ead.php?t=40236

gonkle

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

...or a kernel with modified keyvault parameters (like change game region for example)...

mmh, cant they make a kernel that would run with XNA created code?

kcsims

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »

From what I read, they said this chip allows you to dual boot a pal/us combo.  Does the same apply if I wanted a US/Jap system?

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(HackaJack @ Feb 6 2009, 02:47 AM) View Post
How does this chip store the new lockdown value in the exploitable kernel if you have a dashboard update?

Since MS now requires you to have r6t3 installed for dash updates, an efuse is 'blown' with each dash update.  Everytime you accept a new update from live, your lockdown version counter increases by 1.  So, when it increases, your dash/kernel on this chip will no longer boot.  You will have to modify your lockdown version on your kernel on the chip and reflash it using an infectus (or other programmer).

QUOTE(kcsims @ Feb 7 2009, 02:38 AM) View Post
From what I read, they said this chip allows you to dual boot a pal/us combo.  Does the same apply if I wanted a US/Jap system?

Of course.  The HUGE note in this original post is that you MUST HAVE YOUR CPU KEY.  If you dont, this chip is useless to you.

Caster.
Pages: [1] 2