xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Should I Update Kernel?  (Read 76 times)

scuba156

• Archived User
Should I Update Kernel?
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »

either way is fine.

you may get banned, you may not. the safest thing to do is use iXtreme 1.41 and only used stealthed backups that you have created yourself. never use the backups while connected to LIVE (some people even unplug the ethernet cable)

torne

• Archived User
Should I Update Kernel?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

Currently they do not appear to do so. For some models of drive it *may* be impossible for them to do, but this has not been proven. For other models of drive it is definitely possible.

scuba156

• Archived User
Should I Update Kernel?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »

MS28, Hitachi 79's are not detectable, i think the benq is not detectable as well. either way, they do no do this check. they may of in the past which might of been why a fair few un modded 360's got banned. its not a relaiable way to test and i dont think it will ever be used due to these perticular drives. they shot them selves in the foot basically

torne

• Archived User
Should I Update Kernel?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Mar 10 2008, 11:35 PM) View Post

they may of in the past which might of been why a fair few un modded 360's got banned. its not a relaiable way to test and i dont think it will ever be used due to these perticular drives.

That's nonsense, pretty much. If the drive allows you to read the firmware back (as the MS25 does) then it's a 100% reliable way to test if it's modded. The older 360s which didn't record what drive type they had are easily defeated here by spoofing the drive type as MS28 (which is what the xtreme firmware did originally) but later consoles will refuse to boot if the drive type has changed.

Nobody would be banned by accident if they did do these checks, it would just fail to actually catch a lot of modifications (on all the drives where the 360 can't read the firmware back normally).

scuba156

• Archived User
Should I Update Kernel?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »

i beleive a few boxes got banned do to a drive upgrade during repairs, where the drive was originally a Ms25 and got banned for having a Ms28 after a repair. all the banned xboxs from that got un banned. thats if i remember it all correctly.com.

its not a reliable method because newer drives cannot be read without disabling the firmgaurd, so that cuts down the amount of drives being read. and with the ixtreme ms25 firmware being based on ms28 firmware which has firmgaurd, that reduces it even more. with hitachi drives requiring mode b to read the firmware, that pretty much rules out any modded drive being read over xbox live (unless you still have early Xtreme firmware based on the Ms25)

so who can they catch if they can only read non-modified Ms25's?

with new xbox's, as you say record the drive type, will all have an updated and newer drive, therefor have firmgaurd.