xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Some Help With My Two 360 (one With Low Kernell)  (Read 118 times)

juanmiglesias

• Archived User
Some Help With My Two 360 (one With Low Kernell)
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »

hi i just recive my second 360 today, its an MS25 with kernell 2858, i though at first to use it for live as i installed the ixtreme revc (before i saw the kernell) beacause its updated more often than hitachis, the other one is a hitachi 59d with latest fw before ixteme and kernell 4552 , none of them has the spring update, and never conected again for fear of getting banned.

i want to have one 360 for ixtreme compatible so i can still log in live, and the other to try any kind of game, i was thinking in using the ixtreme for live and making any update needed. but know my dilema is that i got this low kernell 360 and future Homebrew opened my eyes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

ill wrote what i think are my options.
1. downgrade my FW on ms25 to a non ixtreme and leave like that an the hitachi to an ixtreme one.
2. remove th r6t3 on ms 25 and update (how safe is this, do i dump the flash and efusses?)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) what would you do in my case?,... i want to help with homebrew when its avaible as it  seems very difficult to find low kernells nowdays....  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) hope this is not too noob for moderators  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »

I would suggest, if you can afford it and you can tolerate a bit of soldering, that you do the following:
1) Upgrade the 2858 box to the exploitable version using the HD-DVD update
2) Dump the CPU key (fuseset) from XeLL or from Linux
3) Buy and install an Infectus in the box
4) Dump the NAND using the infectus (dumping from Linux does not guarantee a good copy yet)
4a) Optionally, also remove R6T3, but at the present stage this doesn't seem needed. It might become important again in the future though, so if you're competent enough at soldering you might want to do it anyway.
5) Upgrade to latest kernel from Live and do what you want with it, re playing games/backups.

This gives you the absolute maximum flexibility re downgrading for homebrew. With both your CPU key and an Infectus-generated dump of your NAND you are assured of being able to downgrade, change region, etc - all the hacks currently being discussed.

If you can't afford an Infectus or aren't confident of your soldering ability, you *could* skip step 4 and instead back up the NAND from Linux using software. This process is not 100% safe yet, though, it might produce an unusable dump in some circumstances. It may be possible to downgrade anyway, though - the vital part is the CPU key. Yet another alternative is to wait a little longer until the smart guys working on the hacks have got a proven way of backing up a 100% safe NAND image using Linux.

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(torne @ Jul 27 2007, 09:20 AM) *

4a) Optionally, also remove R6T3

I wouldnt really recommend this as an 'optional' step.  If the person is going to dump the NAND, i would definitely remove r6t3.

Caster.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(caster420 @ Jul 28 2007, 04:32 PM) View Post

I wouldnt really recommend this as an 'optional' step.  If the person is going to dump the NAND, i would definitely remove r6t3.

Removing r6t3 is harder than the rest, though, and you can still downgrade without it at present. If you don't remove it, then it's just a matter of not taking new updates until someone else has had a chance to see what effect they have on the version lockdown counter, etc.

Also, there is a distinct chance that MS might use the efuses in a way which *requires* them to be blown in the future - at which point you are in the hilarious position of needing to reattach it smile.gif

caster420

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(torne @ Jul 28 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Removing r6t3 is harder than the rest, though, and you can still downgrade without it at present. If you don't remove it, then it's just a matter of not taking new updates until someone else has had a chance to see what effect they have on the version lockdown counter, etc.

Also, there is a distinct chance that MS might use the efuses in a way which *requires* them to be blown in the future - at which point you are in the hilarious position of needing to reattach it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The only reason i would remove r6t3 if you had dumped it is so that you can flash your old dump without having to do anything.  Yes, you can downgrade if you didnt but it requires a little more effort.

If you're concerned about resoldering r6t3 at some point in time, then you probably shouldnt be soldering on your 360 - period.

Caster.

Strag0

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(caster420 @ Jul 30 2007, 05:25 PM) *

Yes, you can downgrade if you didnt but it requires a little more effort.

What kind of effort? As in, what needs to be done?

This post has been edited by Strag0: Aug 1 2007, 11:22 PM

juanmiglesias

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »

thanks, no worries about  soldering on my 360 im just ordering my infectus this week .. let you guys know how it goes. thanks for the replies.

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(Strag0 @ Aug 1 2007, 11:21 PM) View Post

What kind of effort? As in, what needs to be done?

Load up the old image in the flash tool, and change the lockdown counter value. This takes thirty seconds, but requires the CPU key. If you follow the instructions, though, you would've dumped the key before upgrading.