xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Drive Key  (Read 260 times)

chris_mouland3

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Key
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

Hello,

Since the DVD drive and motherboard are 'married' using the drive key, does anybody know whether it is possible to find out the drive key by studying the motherboard itself?

Presumably, for the  two components to be married together, the motherboard must also contain some information in its bios so that it knows the right drive is being used.

I may be completely off my rocker, but could this be the case?

If so, this would help lots of people that have lost /deleted/messed up their drive key

Thanks,

Chris

caster420

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Key
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

Yes, it is stored somewhere.  The question is where.  In the bios, unlikely... In an eeprom type chip, probably but since most of this data is encrypted and no one has had success hacking it yet, we dont know.

Caster.

sp00k_daddy

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Key
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »

Ok well drive key lost, whats the alternatives? Sending back to xbox 360 service center? Mod chips? I read somewhere about a mod chip for dual firmware that bypasses the drive key? IS there any other alternative to fixing this besides buying another xbox 360?

This post has been edited by sp00k_daddy: Apr 8 2007, 06:58 PM

caster420

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Key
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp00k_daddy @ Apr 8 2007, 01:27 PM) View Post
Ok well drive key lost, whats the alternatives? Sending back to xbox 360 service center? Mod chips? I read somewhere about a mod chip for dual firmware that bypasses the drive key? IS there any other alternative to fixing this besides buying another xbox 360?

No, there is no such chip that bypasses the drive key.

You could send it  back to m$ and see if they'll fix it and for what cost.  You could probably buy a replacement motherboard for the same it would cost to get yours fixed.

Caster.

sp00k_daddy

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Key
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(caster420 @ Apr 8 2007, 01:38 PM) View Post

No, there is no such chip that bypasses the drive key.

You could send it  back to m$ and see if they'll fix it and for what cost.  You could probably buy a replacement motherboard for the same it would cost to get yours fixed.

Caster.

Any ideas where the replacement motherboard can be purchased? And thanks for the reply I appreciate all your time.