xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Kernel/dash Versions For Reference  (Read 840 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Kernel/dash Versions For Reference
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(enixn @ Dec 23 2005, 01:50 AM) View Post

hey i gotta question, when .xex's are signed with the private key, it only references the integrity of the .xex itself, right?...or does it also hash all the content files (that the .xex would load) too?....I dont think this would be the case though because then you have a 4+ gig game and its not gonna hash all of it. So all this means is that we cant modify the .xex without breaking the checksum.....but on the emulation profile update, there is no media check (rather its lenient) But there is only 1 file (the xex)...M$ prolly knew this so included all content into the xex itself so that it would all be checksummed.  So, if we could find a signed xex that references some external file, and is signed for lenient media checks, it might be possible to get the xex to load something user created...But then they probably havent made such an xex yet.  Bah, wtf i cant sleep right now and i have no idea what i'm talking about  sleeping.gif  sleeping.gif

well think about it, as you said MS was very careful to make sure the emualtor update was entirely within one xex, so we cant use it for hacking, you think they are just gonna give us another xex that we can use?

but yeah, if they did we might be able to use it, however MS has been uber-careful when letting xbes out without media checks (xbox Live arcade didnt help us any either)

enixn

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »

so i remember reading somewhere that the xex of the emulation profile update was kinda like a zip file, which if true means that it extracts the content somewhere first before moving it around on the hdd...would they first be extracted to the hdd?....or can the files exist in the ram and from there be copied directly to the hdd into their specific location?...but then everything read to ram is encrypted i think, and so on and so forth...

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(enixn @ Dec 23 2005, 02:04 PM) View Post

so i remember reading somewhere that the xex of the emulation profile update was kinda like a zip file, which if true means that it extracts the content somewhere first before moving it around on the hdd...would they first be extracted to the hdd?....or can the files exist in the ram and from there be copied directly to the hdd into their specific location?...but then everything read to ram is encrypted i think, and so on and so forth...

the files would be exrtracted stright to the HD

enixn

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »

aha, so i guess M$ did it after all....A disc was created with a loose media check that references external files:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=474350  , So now, back to my original post, anyone think its still possible?...hehe muhaha.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(cregan @ Jan 30 2006, 09:31 PM) View Post

My 360 just flashed its kernel and dashboard for a secong time. My xbox was (D:2.0.2241.0 - K:2.0.2241.0) but now it updated to (D:2.0.2255.0 - K:2.0.2255.0) but my BK is still (2.0.1888.0). This doesn't mean that the backup isn't reprogramable but it does mean that the 360 doesn't automatically update it's back up to the current kernel when the current kernel is being updated. This is what i expected. My question is that does anybody know a way to get the 360 to reflash its backup? My computer has 2 network ports and i want to try using it as a server between my 360 and the internet (xbox live). If I could get the xbox to update through my computer i could get more info on how its done. The only problem is that i never know when my 360's gonna update and if i did get it i only get one shot at trying to read any info.

what you need a second 360, or a friend with one, once yours updates bring him over and let his update

would actually be interesting to see how an update from 1888 to 2255 goes

personally i dont believe backup kernel would be left writable, the idea behind it would be if your 360 gets a bad flash this will let it reprogram itself, by putting the backup in jeopardy of a bad flash you pretty much nullify its entire purpose

bowser22

• Recovered User
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »

Maybe if you run your internet connection thorugh your pc with 2 nic's,like your main connection on nic 1 and have that shared to nic 2 for your 360 then use a program like packetzyer to capture the packet then dissasemble it then learn how it works and write your own flash then turn your pc into a live server and make it update laugh.gif
sounds farfetched
 biggrin.gif
c ya

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 07:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(littlestevie360 @ May 20 2006, 07:27 AM) View Post

Im under the impression that the Bootstap and the Kernal are burned into the CPU (ie: not reprogrammable)
and that the Kernal update is infact a patch that is written to the TSOP. Thus BK standing for Base Kernal not Backup Kernal.

This is my opinion on the matter and in theory works perfect, its n00b pr00f
Littlestevie360

Unless the BK revision changes after a dash update  biggrin.gif

ethan craft

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Nov 27 2005, 06:49 PM) View Post
muhaha.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3]