xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Laptop For Xbox Mod Related Compatibility?  (Read 353 times)

InfernO8

• Archived User
Best Laptop For Xbox Mod Related Compatibility?
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »

Hey all Merry Christmas, I am planning on purchasing a new laptop soon and want one that can easily be used to flash the firmware on dvd drives, make dvd backups of my games, plug in my 360 hard drive, and whatever else you can think of haha. I would prefer responses just from people talking from experience smile.gif . My budget is max $1500. Thanks for the help!

EZYESS57

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

I've got a Dell Inspiron 8100. I use it to flash pre 78 Hitachi's with the X360USB convertor with no problems. Everything else requires an onboard or pci SATA card. PCMCIA SATA cards for laptops seem to be hit and miss at best.

My Dell has a NEC 4580? dual layer DVD/CD burner which burns backups well with the newest XBC.

In order to rip your own games, you'll need an external USB enclosure with a Kreon drive.

The_Doctor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

i use an Acer Aspire 5633.

i use a usb>sata convertor for hitaci's (seems to work for all hitaci's, inc. 79's) and a via vt6421 pcmcia card for anything else.

for my games, i use a pioneer dvr-k16, although it doesnt like aone disks, however arita are fine with it.

This post has been edited by The_Doctor: Aug 21 2009, 11:33 PM

maximilian0017

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(InfernO8 @ Dec 26 2008, 09:25 AM) View Post

And whatever else you can think of haha.

Well XBR comes to mind, you will need a Paralelport for this that isn't seen a lot on laptops these days or you would need to add USB to your xbox using:
PIC flasher(cheap and works great, have to build it yourself)
Olimex(more expensive, prebuilt)
Or a CygnosV2(also expensive)

YoungGeekGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

You want an LPT port on your laptop. Look no further than the old IBM T43. 1.7Ghz single core with Centrino, 512MB ram and a 60GB hard drive. Wow look at those specs. Lol joking. Maybe just buy a usb flasher.

LiTHiUM0XiD3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »

get a netbook... and use a USB flasher... save yourself some cash... and get something that is truely portable

deadair4ever

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »

I use a Dell Latitude D400 running XP.  Tiny, comfortable, cheap, built-in parallel port.  Upgraded to 2GB RAM, 120 gig HDD.  

I also use the optional D/dock which has a real live PCI slot for my VIA card.  Yeah, it's like having a dead elephant hang off the back, but it's easy to dock and undock.  Works great!