xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap  (Read 495 times)

jgcaap

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »

is there any advantage in swapping GPU or CPU to a newer one? Wouldnt there be a trouble on optimizing graphics?

dmkf

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chromauk @ Nov 18 2009, 03:42 AM) View Post

Ive successfully swapped out a cpu and nand pair from a rrod board to a now unbanned box for a friend.

It took HOURS!

Reballing is like the 9th layer of hell, seriously, sat at a workbench with tin-silver solder and 0.2mm tip with a magnified setup for what felt like days to reball the cpu.

It should be noted that if you swap out the cpu and nand you ned to either swap drives or reflash with the appropriate drivekey

If i was ever to do this on a regular basis (im not nearly massochistic enough) i would certanly make myself up a template for the reballing procedure, its the only sane way i can imagine for doing repeats.

So yes its possable, just a serious ammount of work involved and a lot of engenuity required to seat the "new" processor accurately.

I dont however know if its possable with different board revisions, we lucked out in that we had plenty of spare units (with a variety of faults) to choose from.

Can you please explain the way you had the CPU swapped? I have successfully swapped GPU with E73 error (neither reball or SB/Ethernet reflow worked at all, so i gave it a try and it worked).
I'm not sure if anything went wrong because the drive could not read the discs then (plays DVD video part only off the discs), but the machine came raped with a heatgun so god knows what else the owner could have done to it.

I'm also looking to a way to read any diagnostics codes from a JTAG (is there a LPC bus?) so if someone can give me a boost to right direction, i would appreciate much. I do not trust any RROD codes at all, the more i get systems to repair the more i see codes that are nothing to do with RAM or other stuff. Like i never replaced any RAM chips when i had 0110, just reflow or reball GPU (which is Northbridge as well so the RAM bus on its duty!) and everything works fine then.

Unapt

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »

i hate to bring back a dead thread but...

I have a xenon JTAG, dash 9199. it also has the GPU fried, and ram errors...I've done the x-clamp and heatgun fix properly, with no luck.

I was wondering if i could switch out the CPU/Nand and put them on a different xenon board. Would this be easier than replacing both the RAM and GPU? also, would the two boards both have to have the 9199 dash?

i also don't have a reball station...could solder balls and a heatgun do the trick?

Juvenal1228

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

short answer, no.

long answer, its really not possible to reball with out proper equipment.

RavenPhoenix

• Archived User
Cpu,gpu,or Ram Chip Swap
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Unapt @ Feb 14 2011, 01:28 PM) View Post

i hate to bring back a dead thread but...

I have a xenon JTAG, dash 9199. it also has the GPU fried, and ram errors...I've done the x-clamp and heatgun fix properly, with no luck.

I was wondering if i could switch out the CPU/Nand and put them on a different xenon board. Would this be easier than replacing both the RAM and GPU? also, would the two boards both have to have the 9199 dash?

i also don't have a reball station...could solder balls and a heatgun do the trick?

You can swap out the GPU to any console regardless of what dash it is on but the CPU and nand are linked and need to be swapped out in pairs. Instead of swapping out the nand the easier thing to do would be to use nandx or a elcheapo LPT methood to grab it from the old nand and dump it to the new one. Unfortunately there is no easy way out for the CPU though apart from clean lifting it from the old board, reballing and then realigned properly to be resoldered back to the new board.
Pages: 1 [2]