xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Format An Original Xbox 360 Hard Drive For Use In A Pc Without  (Read 81 times)

amlucia1

• Archived User

How do you turn it back so it can be used in the xbox360, I formatted mine under W7 and want to get it back, so I can use it in the xbox...thx

bamarquez226

• Archived User
How To Format An Original Xbox 360 Hard Drive For Use In A Pc Without
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(amlucia1 @ Mar 28 2010, 01:59 PM)  

How do you turn it back so it can be used in the xbox360, I formatted mine under W7 and want to get it back, so I can use it in the xbox...thx

You'll need the 120gb BIN file for it. Look for it on the usual DL spots.

amlucia1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(edlimym @ Mar 28 2010, 11:35 PM)  

i believe you did not do anything like hddhackr to the original drive right?  because it cannot be done, so what you can do is take the drive out and quick re-format it.  put it back to the xbox 360 console and the console will ask it to be formatted.  once it is formatted, it can be use again in the xbox 360.
i do not think you need to do this because the original drive does not work with the hddhackr and .bin thingy.  correct me if i am wrong coz i tried once, it did not work, only for WD hdd.

I tried to format under w7 (xbox would not recognize it) but its just ntfs there is no fat32 option, do I need to do it under xp? i did not use hddhackr and I have the orig hddss file for it...thx again...

SphtKr76

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(cherryduck @ Mar 13 2010, 07:49 AM)  

Hi everyone, I recently installed a 500GB hard drive in my JTAGGED Xbox 360 and was left with my original 120GB hard drive which could only be used in an Xbox 360 system. However, I wanted to be able to use this as a normal hard drive. However, being an original Xbox 360 hard drive, I don't have an undo.bin for use with Hddhackr...so what to do? Well, here's what I did to make turn it into a regular hard drive.
  1. Download the Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool from here.
  2. Attach your Xbox 360 hard drive to your PC.
  3. Run the Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool and select your Xbox 360 hard drive.
  4. Click on "Continue", and then the "LOW-LEVEL FORMAT" tab.
  5. Click "FORMAT THIS DEVICE" and wait...
  6. Once it's finished, go into your start menu and find "Administrative Tools" and launch "Computer Management".
  7. Click on "Disk management", it will ask you to initialize the disk or something, click yes.
  8. Right click on the newly initialized hard drive, click "New simple volume", click through until the end, choosing formatting options etc.
  9. Enjoy your hard drive which can now be used as a regular hard drive!
Ironically I intend to use my old Xbox 360 hard drive in my PS3 which I have recently ordered  tongue.gif

This may or may not work for other hard drives, for which the undo.bin has been lost, I don't know but it's worth trying! If someone wants to try it, I'm interested in the results.

You could have just stuck it in your PS3, turned it on, and let if do it for you biggrin.gif

bamarquez226

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(edlimym @ Mar 28 2010, 03:35 PM)  

i do not think you need to do this because the original drive does not work with the hddhackr and .bin thingy.  correct me if i am wrong coz i tried once, it did not work, only for WD hdd.

If you're using the original drive, hddhackr won't work, work for only for WD drives. You'll probably need to use this tool in DOS mode, not within windows environment, but boot to DOS

http://h20000.www2.h...TX-UNITY-I23839

Use this inject the BIN file, since hddhackr won't work for you.

A.Z.BEST

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(amlucia1 @ Mar 29 2010, 06:22 AM)  

I tried to format under w7 (xbox would not recognize it) but its just ntfs there is no fat32 option, do I need to do it under xp? i did not use hddhackr and I have the orig hddss file for it...thx again...

Win 7 doesn't support FAT32, so yes, try XP.

braxton34

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »

worked great with my original 60gb xbox 360 drive that is now in a usb enclosure.

thanks a bunch!

I was beginning to lose hope that it couldn't be done...