xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Hard Drives Can Swap With The Attached 20 Gb  (Read 71 times)

synbios1978

• Archived User
What Hard Drives Can Swap With The Attached 20 Gb
« on: February 02, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

Forgive me, I'm a newb (though learning rapidly, I think) and I'm going to be upgrading my hard drive to a larger capacity.  I was originally going to upgrade my external USB hard drive from 120 GB to ~500 GB, but after reading some of the posts placed on the board I am debating on upgrading my standard 20GB that's attached to the 360.  First off, I'm assuming this is possible with a jtag'd system.  And, if it is, does any 2.5" SATA hard drive work ok, or is there a brand preference when doing this?  I've seen some of the tutorials, and it doesn't look too difficult, but I wanted to check before I decided which route to go.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

snakers2

• Archived User
What Hard Drives Can Swap With The Attached 20 Gb
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(synbios1978 @ Jan 15 2010, 05:49 AM) View Post

Forgive me, I'm a newb (though learning rapidly, I think) and I'm going to be upgrading my hard drive to a larger capacity.  I was originally going to upgrade my external USB hard drive from 120 GB to ~500 GB, but after reading some of the posts placed on the board I am debating on upgrading my standard 20GB that's attached to the 360.  First off, I'm assuming this is possible with a jtag'd system.  And, if it is, does any 2.5" SATA hard drive work ok, or is there a brand preference when doing this?  I've seen some of the tutorials, and it doesn't look too difficult, but I wanted to check before I decided which route to go.
Thanks in advance for any help provided!

All 2.5" SATA drives work.  Just make sure you follow proper formatting instructions.  It appears that there is a way to format the drives so they act exactly like MS brand drives when connected to a migration cable.  I have yet to attempt this myself, waiting for further confirmation.

If you format the drive using the xbox 360 without hex editing info from sources attempting the above, your drive will not be readable in your PC.  You will only be able to modify files on the HDD using homebrew apps such as xexloader.