xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Few Questions Bout Retail Biosses  (Read 133 times)

renegade1488

• Archived User
A Few Questions Bout Retail Biosses
« on: October 09, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »

Right I just got xbox live today and I have a v1.4 crystal xbox and a xenium with the latest os. I know for sure I nuked the TSOP line when I was installing it (accidentally left the iron on the board :( and this is comfirmed by fragging whenever I tell my Xenium to boot from TSOP. So I was using a retail 5101 from the usual place ;) but today, twice when I was playing top spin, once online and once in single player, my xbox just froze. So I'm just wondering, which other retail bioses are compaible with v1.4 xboxes and also, because a lot on xbins are 1.00mb, could I just resize them with xbtool to 256k (my Xenium won't take any other size :() and still play on live?
TIA
Parag

Heykrop

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

Mostlikely if the box is just freezing at random ther is a problem with the chip install and not the bios.  Could be a solder joint that loosens when it gets warm or if it is a solderless install it could be that there is some warping happening after it warms up that causes the connection to cease. Could also be a dirty contact that is just being fussy. May want to re check the install.  Not sure which other bioses will be compatible with that version box but yes you can resize the 1 meg ones down to 256k. The size of most original bioses is 1 meg but it is only a 256 that is mirrored 4 times. When a 256 gets loaded I believe it still gets mirrored 4 times in memory anyway. The only thing you need to be cautious of is making any other changes to that original bios other than a resize. Any other changes will render it NON original and as such will get you banned when using it.

Good luck.

renegade1488

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »

Doubt it's the install because it's never done this to me before. i've had 5 hour long sessions on the xbox without this happening. it only happens ont his one game and only on live. It just happened to me again :angry: