xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Character Limit On Xbox...  (Read 235 times)

OEbase

• Archived User
Character Limit On Xbox...
« on: June 30, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »

So I'm planning on reformating my PC, but I need to transfer some files over I don't want to lose to my Xbox, but it seems some files just can't be transfered over. I'm 100% positive it's due to the length of the file names and what-not. I don't know what the character limit is, but i'm pretty sure it's around 25-30 char. Is it possible to turn it off so everything can be sent?

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 01:18:00 PM »

I "think" it is 34 characters, but it also will not allow some special characters like , and the like.

Nobody has yet worked out how to "hack" a way around this so you are stuffed as far as that goes........ the only thing that comes close is avalaunch's fat-x 2 implementation... but that never really took off, and i'd save you some time and advise you to not even look into it (a great thing it could have been if every app used it though ;( ... nevermind )

What i advise you is to zip your files into a zip file named zip.zip or whatever... as long as it conforms to xbox file system (if there are lots of files then make several zips for safety and ease)

That way when you get them back to the pc and unzip them you will retain the original naming of your files.

You're weclome

- Shorty

This post has been edited by shorty: Jun 30 2004, 08:19 PM

Ichijoe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »

To quote Deep Thought: The answer to Life, The Universe and Everything
(includeing FATX Filename length), is Fouty-Two! Thats 42...

Apperntly someone over @ M$ XBOX HQ is an Adam's Fan!!  :D

39 Filename 3 Extension = 42

And no I don't think you can turn this off as it's part of the standerd that's
FATX. (The XBOX File System)...

This post has been edited by Ichijoe: Jun 30 2004, 08:22 PM

OEbase

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (shorty @ Jun 30 2004, 11:12 PM)
I "think" it is 34 characters, but it also will not allow some special characters like , and the like.

Nobody has yet worked out how to "hack" a way around this so you are stuffed as far as that goes........ the only thing that comes close is avalaunch's fat-x 2 implementation... but that never really took off, and i'd save you some time and advise you to not even look into it (a great thing it could have been if every app used it though ;( ... nevermind )

What i advise you is to zip your files into a zip file named zip.zip or whatever... as long as it conforms to xbox file system (if there are lots of files then make several zips for safety and ease)

That way when you get them back to the pc and unzip them you will retain the original naming of your files.

You're weclome

- Shorty

Yeah, I'm raring everything up, but it's going to be a 20gb file and take a good 6 hours. :(

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

Well done... i thought i might have guessed wrong.... i can never remember that dammed number, thats why i covered myself with the thinking "quotes"  :lol:

Well between me you and him, i think this one is sorted  :beer:

- shorty

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (OEbase @ Jun 30 2004, 11:15 PM)
Yeah, I'm raring everything up, but it's going to be a 20gb file and take a good 6 hours. :(

Yeah... as i suggested, i rekon you should make maybe 20 or so zip//rar's..... i know its a time consuming hassle, but just imagine your one and only zip/rar became corrupted!?

Nightmare....... disaster waiting to happen..... i know it has happened to me too many times....lol

Good luck!  :popcorn:

- Shorty

OEbase

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »

So there is no way around it?

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

Nope.... someone was looking into it... but i think it kinda fizzled out.

The Fat-X 2 thing i spoke about was a dirty way around it.... it would, during the FTP process make a list of incompatable filenames in a database.... shorten the actual filenames to be compatable....... then

When the program accessed a file it would referance the database and if it was in there, display the original full filename to the user.

However as far as i am aware this only worked one way, you could not FTP back to the PC and keep the full filenames.... unfortunatley.

This is one thing that really annyos me about the xbox........ but it is a near perfet piece of gadgetry!  :ph34r:

- Shorty

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

its a 'simple' change in the bios, just no one has done it (and released it).  It would require you to re-format your partitions though..

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Jun 30 2004, 11:23 PM)
its a 'simple' change in the bios, just no one has done it (and released it).  It would require you to re-format your partitions though..

Yep that is what i was talking about.... when i said i thought it had "fizzled" out.

Its a shame... im sure it is a much sought after thing, i remember a thread about it somewhere and it was looking pretty promising, ah well fingers crossed for the future though.

- Shorty

Ichijoe

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

Assuming that could be done would you still be able to use Backups, XBMC anything usefull besides Linux!?

It seems to me that the Game Dev's are useing the FATX Filename limmt as
a cheep way of Copy Protecting there Games (i.e. Harry Potter Prisioner of Azkaban, Enter The Matrix,etc...). Sure you could burn them to DVD (whenever the DVD9 Format gets out), but the point is to be able to run these Games off the HDD!

Can that even be done if you actually changed the Filesystem on the XBOX??

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

there is nothing to assume, it can be done, yes it works.

shorty

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 02:49:00 PM »

Interesting......

So heinrich.....

Do you know why has this not been released? from the sounds of it, there are people using this hack now, or am i missing something?

Cheers,

- Shorty

Edit:: I miss the (XS) search feature, i loved being able to search for my own posts (to keep track of my conversations) i loved it :wub:  

This post has been edited by shorty: Jun 30 2004, 09:51 PM