xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Reactos  (Read 458 times)

AnyJoe

• Archived User
Reactos
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:56:00 AM »

Hi,

I havent been to this site in a long time so I dont know if there are still as many developers lurking as there used to be. But if there are then you might be interested in this email which appeared on the ReactOS mailing list last night...

With a lot of help from my fellow ReactOS developers (thanks to Henri Poussin for implementing FATX support in our VFAT driver) and the kind Xbox Linux people it's now possible to fully boot ReactOS on the Xbox. A screenshot is here: http://www.reactos.nl/xbox/reactosonxbox.jpg

Unfortunately, all it does at the moment is sit there being pretty. We don't have USB support yet in ReactOS, so mouse and keyboard don't work. Also, ReactOS is not stable enough yet to do serious work. All of that will be remedied though, so before you know it you'll be running Word on your TV :-)

I just need to clean up my code a bit and put it in CVS. Will keep you informed of further progress.

Gé van Geldorp.

If there are still developers hanging around and you want to see windows on the xbox then I'd suggest this is the way to go.

AnyJoe

RanCorX2

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 04:24:00 AM »

wonder if it'll have a virtual keyboard and the ability to use the controller as the mouse?
theres another screenshot here http://reactos.com/var/storage/images-vers...er_on_xbox1.jpg

This post has been edited by RanCorX2: Dec 10 2004, 12:28 PM

GvG

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 05:25:00 AM »

Even then we need to get USB working first.

GvG

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »

GvG how active is the xbox development for ReactOS?

I would really love to be able to use it on my xbox. biggrin.gif

Basically, the port is done. That doesn't mean that everything works as it should, the main thing is the lack of USB support. So right now you can start (using a custom version of Cromwell) FreeLdr, which in turn will boot ReactOS. It will fully boot and load the desktop. At that point it's waiting for your input which you can't give because there are no input devices (mouse, keyboard) available.

As the code currently stands, you need to install ReactOS on the saved game (e:) partition, there's no support for a filesystem in a file like the Linux loopback mount. On the bright side, this does mean that there is full support for FATX and the Xbox partitioning scheme in both FreeLdr and in ReactOS proper (I can't take credit for that, one of the other ReactOS developers adapted our VFAT driver to also work with FATX). The cool thing about it is that we do not have separate versions for normal PC and Xbox, you can use the same binaries for both. You only need to rename 1 file (the HAL).

For the rest of the month I'm taking a break from Xbox development (I have been working on this for about a month and a half) 'cause we have a big ReactOS release coming up (version 0.3, the first version to support TCP/IP) and I want to get some other non-Xbox related stuff into that release too.

All the changes I made to ReactOS are in our source code repository, I still need to talk to the Cromwell guys to get my changes merged in there. If you want to, I can create a set of binaries and a How-To for you to play around with. Just don't expect to be able do much with it at the moment, without keyboard and mouse. If you want the binaries, PM or email me.

total_ass

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 02:09:00 AM »

what is the speed like? obviously it'd be hard to tell as you can't really do much at the moment.

this is good news, i've been waiting for a user-friendly operating system. i'm not that good with linux.

s00pcan

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »

I'm excited about this. Make sure you get everything working and finish it sometime soon!

m.e

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

Keep on the great work.

ZASADAR

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »

it says its like winex..... so does this means its just windows running on linux?...

RanCorX2

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »

i'll be interested if a virtuall kb / mouse feature is added :) but wow sounds like its pretty decent already  :)

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 12:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (total_ass @ Dec 15 2004, 10:41 AM)
what is the speed like? obviously it'd be hard to tell as you can't really do much at the moment.

this is good news, i've been waiting for a user-friendly operating system. i'm not that good with linux.

huh ? gnome/kde on linux is IMO no different than Windows(a matter of taste, just like Mac user would say only OS X is user friendly, Windows is primitive).

Most of the frustration of linux are about hardware compatability which is not an issue on Xbox as it has only that many hardware. In fact, linux is the most compatile OS after MS own Xbox kernel(BIOS). Linux supports the graphic, Windows doesn't. Linux supports the network chip, Windows may not(98 is almost sure not), even sound is a question mark. Are you satisfied with 98 running 640x480 with VESA mode without sound and no network ?

As for ReachOS, I believe it will be another 3-4 years before it is really usable, even on PC. I salute the developers but Windows is a very large project and it takes time. How long have WINE been developing ?

AnyJoe

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (ZASADAR @ Dec 15 2004, 11:05 PM)
it says its like winex..... so does this means its just windows running on linux?...

No its been build from the ground up.

QUOTE (chimpanzee @ Dec 16 2004, 08:43 AM)
As for ReachOS, I believe it will be another 3-4 years before it is really usable, even on PC.

That really depends on your definition of usable.

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (AnyJoe @ Dec 16 2004, 09:50 AM)

That really depends on your definition of usable.

http://www.reactos.com/en/content/view/full/179

Of course it depends on one's definition, judge for yourself.

UndeadWarlock

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

smile.gif

r u a softmod user by any chance.... ?? laugh.gif

ZASADAR

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (chimpanzee @ Dec 16 2004, 01:43 AM)
huh ? gnome/kde on linux is IMO no different than Windows(a matter of taste, just like Mac user would say only OS X is user friendly, Windows is primitive).

Most of the frustration of linux are about hardware compatability which is not an issue on Xbox as it has only that many hardware. In fact, linux is the most compatile OS after MS own Xbox kernel(BIOS). Linux supports the graphic, Windows doesn't. Linux supports the network chip, Windows may not(98 is almost sure not), even sound is a question mark. Are you satisfied with 98 running 640x480 with VESA mode without sound and no network ?

As for ReachOS, I believe it will be another 3-4 years before it is really usable, even on PC. I salute the developers but Windows is a very large project and it takes time. How long have WINE been developing ?

what? linux has no real video support its not accelerated

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Reactos
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (ZASADAR @ Dec 19 2004, 12:34 AM)
what? linux has no real video support its not accelerated

What other OS other than MS BIOS has ? So it is not perfect under linux, but is already better than all other alternatives I can think of, even when they can boot on Xbox(that is already a tall order).

So the fact remains, linux is the only usable alternative on Xbox.