xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Music Info Stored On Hdd  (Read 214 times)

celicagt1993

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« on: February 23, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »

Sorry guys, this isn't really anything about hacking the HDD, but did deal with the HDD being hacked..  Please don't flame, and move or close as necessary.

Noticed something the other day, put a CD into the 360 for the first time, and it pulled up the album info.  removed the HDD, and didn't get anything...  I played the CD with out the HDD both hooked up and not hooked up but it never d/l the album detail.  now, i haven't found a cd that is new enough, or extreamly old that won't be stored on the HDD...

so here's my questions, were is the music stored on the HDD, and if someone can find a CD that isn't in the HDD database, can you see if the database updates itself?  example, unplug xbox from network, insert CD find if info is there...  if not, connect to net, update, remove from network and enter cd again see if it remembers.

thanks, and there again, sorry if wrong board and do acordingly.

deadparrot

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »

It probably connects to CDDB to get album info on-the-fly.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 01:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Feb 23 2006, 10:06 AM) View Post

Very likely.

However it could still do that without the HDD in place, and if I read it right, and the poster said it didn't get the CD details when the harddisk wasn't connected.

I suspect that was because the XBL profile/settings were on the HDD.  If the XBL profile was moved to a MemPak, it would probably still work without the HDD.
(I'm not saying a XBL Gamertag is required, simply that the network connection settings are probably stored on the same media, along side it.  IIRC you need either an HDD or MemPak to use Live.)

celicagt1993

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 01:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Feb 23 2006, 09:06 AM) View Post

I can say this much, it doesn't connect to get the info...  i unhooked the network cable, and it still found every cd that i put in there.

Very likely.

However it could still do that without the HDD in place, and if I read it right, and the poster said it didn't get the CD details when the harddisk wasn't connected.

I suspect that was because the XBL profile/settings were on the HDD. If the XBL profile was moved to a MemPak, it would probably still work without the HDD.
(I'm not saying a XBL Gamertag is required, simply that the network connection settings are probably stored on the same media, along side it. IIRC you need either an HDD or MemPak to use Live.)

this is what i'm thinking also is that any access to the net outside of local network is linked to the HDD or mem card.  

that is another idea is to put your gamers tag on a mem card and see if it will retreave the cd info.  it kinda makes sense not to d/l the cd info if you don't have a hdd...  you can't rip the cd, but even then, i would like to be able to see the info if i didn't have a hdd.

wolrahnaes

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(celicagt1993 @ Feb 23 2006, 03:39 AM) View Post

i unhooked the network cable, and it still found every cd that i put in there.

It can probably read CD Text or something.  There's no way it has a local copy of the CDDB database or anything like that, so obviously it does go out to the internet or at least read CD Text to get the data.

celicagt1993

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 02:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(wolrahnaes @ Feb 24 2006, 05:51 AM) View Post

It can probably read CD Text or something.  There's no way it has a local copy of the CDDB database or anything like that, so obviously it does go out to the internet or at least read CD Text to get the data.

ok here's an example....  put in flesh-n-bone in the computer unhooked to the net and it didn't didn't find any cd info.  no cd text...

unhooked the 360 from the network with the HDD in and put the same cd in, and all the cd info is there...  i've done this with several different cd's, both on the computer to have media player try and read cd text and i've gotten the same result...  it's got to be on the HDD since i doesn't find any info without the HDD in.

Lord Magnus

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »

I know that when you rip a cd to your hdd it is stored in "/partition3/mindex/media/"
But I don't really know where the files descriptions are stored. I would imagine that it get's it from the internet. And when you play the cd from your ripped tracks on your 360, the data is stored within the track, just like an mp3.

I'll test reproducing a U2 cd without the cat5 connected and see if it remember. If it does, I'll take the HDD out and check again.

I'll let you know.

Ok here's what I did, and I apologize if somebody already tried it:

1) Put CD in with cat5 (internet) and HDD hooked up.

As a result the xbox showed the name of the album, all the tracks with its respective numbers and its genre and started reproducing the tracks.

2) Put cd in with CAT5 disconnected and HDD connected.

As a result, the xbox did the exact same thing as it did in step one.

3) Put CD in with CAT5 and HDD disconnected.

As a result, the xbox started reproducing the CD, BUT this time in the track list, instead of names, etc, it will list the tracks as Track 01, Track 02, Track 03, etc.

4) Put CD in with CAT5 cable connected, and HDD disconnected.

As a result, the xbox started reproducing the cd, but the track list was showed in the same way as in step 3.

So, there is obviously a DB downloaded/created in the HDD somewhere.... I'll see if I can find it.

Suggestions ? Comments ?

Edit: added step 4 to the test.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lord Magnus @ Feb 25 2006, 07:29 PM) View Post

Suggestions ? Comments ?

Same comment as my post above.

It may not be the HDD connected/disconnected that is causing the results, rather the X360's access to a stored 'profile'.  Try moving the profile from HDD to MemPak before disconnecting the HDD and repeat the tests.

By solely disconnecting the HDD, you’re giving the X360 complete amnesia as well as denying it storage capability.  By moving the profile to a connected MemPak, then disconnecting the HDD, you’re still denying it the storage capability, but this time only giving it partial amnesia.

Angerwound

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »

X360 seems to have permanent amnesia anyhow. smile.gif
Seems to have forgotten hundreds of its last generation sad.gif

celicagt1993

• Archived User
Music Info Stored On Hdd
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Lord Magnus @ Feb 25 2006, 06:29 PM) View Post

I know that when you rip a cd to your hdd it is stored in "/partition3/mindex/media/"
But I don't really know where the files descriptions are stored. I would imagine that it get's it from the internet. And when you play the cd from your ripped tracks on your 360, the data is stored within the track, just like an mp3.

I'll test reproducing a U2 cd without the cat5 connected and see if it remember. If it does, I'll take the HDD out and check again.

I'll let you know.
Ok here's what I did, and I apologize if somebody already tried it:

1) Put CD in with cat5 (internet) and HDD hooked up.

As a result the xbox showed the name of the album, all the tracks with its respective numbers and its genre and started reproducing the tracks.

2) Put cd in with CAT5 disconnected and HDD connected.

As a result, the xbox did the exact same thing as it did in step one.

3) Put CD in with CAT5 and HDD disconnected.

As a result, the xbox started reproducing the CD, BUT this time in the track list, instead of names, etc, it will list the tracks as Track 01, Track 02, Track 03, etc.

4) Put CD in with CAT5 cable connected, and HDD disconnected.

As a result, the xbox started reproducing the cd, but the track list was showed in the same way as in step 3.

So, there is obviously a DB downloaded/created in the HDD somewhere.... I'll see if I can find it.

Suggestions ? Comments ?

Edit: added step 4 to the test.

ok, now try this...  use a cd that you haven't put in the xbox at all, disconnect the cat 5 then put the virgin cd in and see what happens....  this is with the HDD in....  everytime i did this it added the cd info...  to make sure that it wasn't something with cd text on the disk, brought them to my computer, unhooked the cat 5, put the cd in, and everyone of them did not list any cd info.  keep in mind, these were cd's the i just got from a friend to rip, so they have never been put in my xbox or my computer...  so this info has to be stored on the HDD somewhere.