xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows App Wrapper  (Read 380 times)

Joust

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« on: November 24, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

I agree it is silly to want to install windows on the Xbox. But it shoudl be posible to run windows games and applications
Please excuse my huge ignorance here.

Is it possible to create some kind of wrapper program that will allow us to run a single windows application on the Xbox?
what i mean is, say we want to run some simple Kids game that is a windows game. I think it sould be possible to boot a disk and load a simple windows loader then load the game to play.
not sure how it would handle the "installation" of the game but it shoudl be possible to have a config file for that game stored on the hard drive so the "windows loader" would know how to handle the game.

luther349

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »

its called wine and its aruldy done in linux. enjoy.

.tekrox

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 10:17:00 PM »

Wine is good yes,

But what i think joust means is a more native wrapper; wine runs on linux which isn't native windows - programs ran through wine just don't perform as they would under windows - same goes for cygwin under windows.

But the xbox is a modified win2k kernel - so why not make a wrapper to run standard windows executables under it? it would be like wine but faster since more is being done by the native kernel aswell as not having to install linux on your xbox.

SigTom

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 02:53:00 AM »

So get to coding you 2.  We are wating for your first release. Cant code? Learn and help yourselves out.

Start

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »

Windows 2000 - Few GB's
XBox Kernel - 500k?

Theres alot missing

The_Truth

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »

start: like already stated... MODIFIED...lmao :lol:

ENWILLEY

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 08:08:00 AM »

OK,  i was just thing if you could exacute the exe file of a program and have all the files to the program then could it be possibe to run a windows programs  on the xbox the program is going to search the file for what it needs but could that work
no i really dont no alot about computers i mean alittle but nothing about coding or how a computer really works this is just a idea but i know if i take a programs install folder that has everything uncompressed put it on a disk and then on to another computer it works fine could that work on the box  just have to exeacute right  or wrong

LESTAT

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Nov 25 2004, 02:49 AM)
its called wine and its aruldy done in linux. enjoy.

well lets see,, hhmm linux runs like shit already with only 64 megs of ram,,
put on top of that a memory hogging buggy emulator,

yeah go ahead and run linux and wineX  

you linux geeks got your wish you got linuX  no go back in your holes and let us windows lovers get our wishes.
jesus, you people, ie linux users, are so friggin lame. just use linux just use linux,, NO!  YOU use linux,, we will use windows, when its ready

OS quote of the century : "What operating system has more bugs, security flaws, and issues, than windows?...... Linux!!"

Flame2k

• Archived User
Windows App Wrapper
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

yeah, linux does crash, when the n00bs that use windows try to learn it and fuck/give up cos 'its too complicated'

If it crashes so much and alot more than windows why do we keep using it??????

PEOPLE ARE TRYING THEIR BEST WITH THE XBOX WINDOWS EFFORT OK I AM ONE OF THEM!

YOU ARE A NOOB