xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game Freeze Liteon  (Read 50 times)

jimjims

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »

Hi
i have just done a xclamp replacement for a friend after RROD

EA games are freezing within about 5 minuites of play. all games are on verbs
working well on my console

flashed with  ix1.51  and has the latest updates online
i have fitted a new laser also spoofed a BenQ but still the same problem

any help is much appreciated

hetster

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:53:00 AM »

games feeezing is a symptom of the red ring not the drive..

redo the xclamp and make sure everything is correct with that..

jimjims

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(hetster @ Jul 6 2009, 12:53 PM) *

games feeezing is a symptom of the red ring not the drive..

redo the xclamp and make sure everything is correct with that..

redone the xclamp also tried changing tension of the bolts
allowed to overheat for 2 mins then cool but still freezing

jimjims

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

should i go for the heatgun fix on CPU GPU

has anyone done a heatgun fix for game freez ?

This post has been edited by jimjims: Jul 6 2009, 08:45 PM

hetster

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 02:55:00 AM »

dont use the heatgun..redo the xclamps and then remove the case fan..put the board back in and screw it up to keep it flat..hook the dvd drive back up and then plug the fan back in but leave the fan out of the case..then rest it on top of the dvd drive..half on the dvd drive and half on the cpu heatsink (tall one).
then turn on and bake for 15 mins..
(IMG:http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/images/x-clamp/xclamp%20074.jpg)

the heat safety cut off is actualy under the cpu not the gpu..so keeping the cpu cool will stop it getting the 2 red lights overheat..2 red lights actualy cuts power to the gpu/cpu so will not overheat..

so green lights is good..1 red light is good and 3 red lights is good..if ya get 2 red lights it isnt working..

once you have baked for at least 15 mins let it cool down for a further 15 mins and then test it with everything back in place eg the fan hood and fan..

it could also be that the bolts arent tight enough..make sure they are short enough or have edequate washers and arent touching the top of the gpu..also if you are using your own hardware and not apurchased kit ya may need to modify things slightly..if you are using 2 metal washers they may be ever so slightly too high to give adequate pressure to the chip..in these cases i use a shrimm made up of flat tin foil folded 3 times..but this MUST be cut to fit the 2 small dies on top of the chip. tin foil conducts electricity so you dont want it touching anything it shouldnt

i actualy use my own method for red ring repair which is very succesful but doesnt require any bolts/washers etc and retains most of the M$ hardware but i wont go into that as the bolt/washer method is fine if done correctly..

avoid the heatgun at all costs if you dont know what you are doing..in some cases (for me elites with e74) the heatgun is the best option but if not done long enough its useless and if done too long your xbox is dead forever. so use as a last resort..the bake method above for 15 mins gives the right amount of heat and is far safer than heagunning..

sorry this is off topic but i couldnt resist.

This post has been edited by hetster: Yesterday, 11:01 AM

wildwild

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 04:58:00 AM »

Only the heatgun fix is a PERMANENT FIX. All other types would only have the RROD returning after a few months.  The fan trick only shorten the life of the GPU chip.

Good luck.,

jimjims

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(hetster @ Jul 7 2009, 10:55 AM) *

dont use the heatgun..redo the xclamps and then remove the case fan..put the board back in and screw it up to keep it flat..hook the dvd drive back up and then plug the fan back in but leave the fan out of the case..then rest it on top of the dvd drive..half on the dvd drive and half on the cpu heatsink (tall one).
then turn on and bake for 15 mins..
(IMG:http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/images/x-clamp/xclamp%20074.jpg)

the heat safety cut off is actualy under the cpu not the gpu..so keeping the cpu cool will stop it getting the 2 red lights overheat..2 red lights actualy cuts power to the gpu/cpu so will not overheat..

so green lights is good..1 red light is good and 3 red lights is good..if ya get 2 red lights it isnt working..

once you have baked for at least 15 mins let it cool down for a further 15 mins and then test it with everything back in place eg the fan hood and fan..

it could also be that the bolts arent tight enough..make sure they are short enough or have edequate washers and arent touching the top of the gpu..also if you are using your own hardware and not apurchased kit ya may need to modify things slightly..if you are using 2 metal washers they may be ever so slightly too high to give adequate pressure to the chip..in these cases i use a shrimm made up of flat tin foil folded 3 times..but this MUST be cut to fit the 2 small dies on top of the chip. tin foil conducts electricity so you dont want it touching anything it shouldnt

i actualy use my own method for red ring repair which is very succesful but doesnt require any bolts/washers etc and retains most of the M$ hardware but i wont go into that as the bolt/washer method is fine if done correctly..
avoid the heatgun at all costs if you dont know what you are doing..in some cases (for me elites with e74) the heatgun is the best option but if not done long enough its useless and if done too long your xbox is dead forever. so use as a last resort..the bake method above for 15 mins gives the right amount of heat and is far safer than heagunning..

sorry this is off topic but i couldnt resist.

thanks to hester and wildwild for your replies

thought i would try hesters suggestions first as i have no experience with a heat gun
baked for 15 minutes the fan increased speed the whole time

loaded up the game ran for 10 mins this time then froze again

the bolts look like they have room to spare
then tried tighten and got 3 red lights

replaced with original xclamps froze after 2 mins

i bought the washers/bolts as a kit on fleabay

hester where do you use the thermal paste with your shrimm/foil fix?

thanks again

jimjims

This post has been edited by jimjims: Yesterday, 05:47 PM

vb_encryption_vb

• Archived User
Game Freeze Liteon
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 11:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(wildwild @ Jul 7 2009, 07:58 AM) *

Only the heatgun fix is a PERMANENT FIX. All other types would only have the RROD returning after a few months.  The fan trick only shorten the life of the GPU chip.

Good luck.,

Yeah right.

QUOTE(jimjims @ Jul 7 2009, 12:39 PM) *

jimjims

Don't waste anymore money. Sell the drive and power brick, put the money towards a new arcade. Your just wasting time and money on something that will not last for long if you do get it "fixed"