xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hitachi V78 Issues...  (Read 35 times)

biggnick

• Archived User
Hitachi V78 Issues...
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

Hi once again. Vet on flashing drives, but came across a random bugger on an extra console.

This time the bugger is a V78 drive. It was flashed previously with iXtreme 1.4, worked for the most part no issues (some reading problems, touchy drive lens). I decided to take it apart today to install 1.51.

-Hooked up the sata, powered up the system, ran slax for mode B.

-Started up Jungleflasher, sent mode B, worked no issue, could open and close in mode B.

-Went to go and dump the drive info via Jungleflasher, asked where to save the file. Clicked ok.

-Jungleflasher gives me an error saying the drive key could not be found and that the FW may be corrupt! There was no drive key listed under the FW...?

-Opened up FWToolbox 4.8 and opened the dumped FW from Jungleflasher...key was there along with the correct FW!

-Decided to use Jungleflasher to just restore the V78 to original FW. Drive would NOT dump, ram upload failed.

-Tried then using FWToolbox 4.8 to do an original restore using lost dump. Generated the file, then tried to do a GDR flash with said file (after checking the drive keys). Flashed no problems.

-From there I tried to do a Jungleflasher drive dump just to make sure the key patched, error again saying no key. At this point the drive froze up, disconnected itself from Windows (ba-dum) and refused to open. Now here I am with an E64 error (firmware) with a drive that won't open no matter what.

I know it had a drive key injected from the start, I was playing originals and COD4 just before opening it up! I've always been able to restore a Hitachi no matter what, even minus the drive key, to stock FW. So wtf happened here, and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance team.

This post has been edited by biggnick: Jun 30 2009, 11:24 PM

boneym

• Archived User
Hitachi V78 Issues...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(biggnick @ Jun 30 2009, 11:21 PM) *

Hi once again. Vet on flashing drives, but came across a random bugger on an extra console.
This time the bugger is a V78 drive. It was flashed previously with iXtreme 1.4, worked for the most part no issues (some reading problems, touchy drive lens). I decided to take it apart today to install 1.51.
-Hooked up the sata, powered up the system, ran slax for mode B.

-Started up Jungleflasher, sent mode B, worked no issue, could open and close in mode B.

-Went to go and dump the drive info via Jungleflasher, asked where to save the file. Clicked ok.

-Jungleflasher gives me an error saying the drive key could not be found and that the FW may be corrupt! There was no drive key listed under the FW...?

-Opened up FWToolbox 4.8 and opened the dumped FW from Jungleflasher...key was there along with the correct FW!

-Decided to use Jungleflasher to just restore the V78 to original FW. Drive would NOT dump, ram upload failed.

-Tried then using FWToolbox 4.8 to do an original restore using lost dump. Generated the file, then tried to do a GDR flash with said file (after checking the drive keys). Flashed no problems.

-From there I tried to do a Jungleflasher drive dump just to make sure the key patched, error again saying no key. At this point the drive froze up, disconnected itself from Windows (ba-dum) and refused to open. Now here I am with an E64 error (firmware) with a drive that won't open no matter what.
I know it had a drive key injected from the start, I was playing originals and COD4 just before opening it up! I've always been able to restore a Hitachi no matter what, even minus the drive key, to stock FW. So wtf happened here, and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance team.

what happened is you havnt got a system that is suitable for flashing hitachis, when you dumped the drive, the message of drive key could not be found  should have started the alarm bells ringing,so why are you using 3 different applications when one  will do them all ?, you ran slax to send mode b , then sent mode b in jf why?then you ran fwtoolbox4.8 after jf had told you that ram upload had failed, so you have bricked your hitachi , reading or dumping cannot brick drives but restoring or flashing can, so you will have to unsolder the tsop chip use external reader to read and write and resolder, but you are a vet at flashing drives so you will already know this.

biggnick

• Archived User
Hitachi V78 Issues...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(boneym @ Jun 30 2009, 07:08 PM) *

what happened is you havnt got a system that is suitable for flashing hitachis, when you dumped the drive, the message of drive key could not be found  should have started the alarm bells ringing,so why are you using 3 different applications when one  will do them all ?, you ran slax to send mode b , then sent mode b in jf why?then you ran fwtoolbox4.8 after jf had told you that ram upload had failed, so you have bricked your hitachi , reading or dumping cannot brick drives but restoring or flashing can, so you will have to unsolder the tsop chip use external reader to read and write and resolder, but you are a vet at flashing drives so you will already know this.

Thanks...no need to be a smartass though. The system is more than suitable for flashing hitachi's, as I've done over 15 Hitachi's alone ranging from the v59-v79 (~ 40 systems total). The drive has been buggy for awhile anyways, so I'm not too concerned about that as it was on it's way out.

The reason for using multiple programs was because Jungleflasher
has always been a little buggy since release, and anytime I've had an issue I've been able to use FWToolbox to do what I've needed.

I was hoping that I could avoid the TSOP trick, but that as well is no biggie. Worse-case I use an extra MS28 or BenQ I have around and spoof it. My real question was why Jungleflasher popped that error, as it is the first time in 3 years I've gotten it.

Hope your day goes better...damn! Always glad to get a sarcastic remark from new members.

This post has been edited by biggnick: Jul 1 2009, 01:21 AM