xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Questions About The Homemade Key Grabber...  (Read 79 times)

abd640

• Archived User
Questions About The Homemade Key Grabber...
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »

Hi

i have question about "Flash Your Lite-On for Free" tutorial from
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php?n=flashyourliteonf

1) is it ok to use a connector serial to usb to the computer ???
since, i only have usb port in my computer... I will use the usb only for connecting to the computer(serial to usb)... the hardware will have serial port...

2) How will the windows recognize the new homemade hardware ???

Thanks alot....

strawsy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »

1. Yes it is perfectly fine to use serial to usb cable. The thing is not all computers are compatible with the homemade cable. Only one way to find out...

2.It will recognize it through whatever usb to serial cable you're using. For instance I used a radioshack usb to serial and it shows up and works under that. You shouldn't need any extra drivers. There no special chips on this homemade version.

If your looking for the absolute cheapest method I would go ahead and do this. If you are just looking for a decently cheap method I recommend doing the cell phone data cable method. Do a search and you will find the information you need.

abd640

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »

So strawsy

i understand from u that, it depends on the cable u use for the computer recognition right??

i have last question:
 if i did my homemade key grabber and connected to the cable , how do i know if it's recognized or not?? i mean if my cable (serial to usb) already recognized by the computer, will the computer recognize my chip?? i mean will it say i found new hardware(what ever name..)... or it will just mention for the recognize of the (serial to usb) cable ??

Thanks alot strawsy...

jp35

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 05:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(abd640 @ Mar 23 2009, 01:41 AM) *

So strawsy

i understand from u that, it depends on the cable u use for the computer recognition right??

i have last question:
 if i did my homemade key grabber and connected to the cable , how do i know if it's recognized or not?? i mean if my cable (serial to usb) already recognized by the computer, will the computer recognize my chip?? i mean will it say i found new hardware(what ever name..)... or it will just mention for the recognize of the (serial to usb) cable ??

Thanks alot strawsy...

right click on my computer icon - select properties - at the top click the hardware tab - then click on device manager.  look for ports - and you should see something like usb to serial com port (1).  That means your adapter is configured properly

strawsy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Yeah if you built your adapter correctly and plug it in to the usb to serial it should work just fine. As always you can test in hyperterminal, or extraputty in vista.

DuggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(abd640 @ Mar 23 2009, 12:21 AM) *

Hi

i have question about "Flash Your Lite-On for Free" tutorial from
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php?n=flashyourliteonf

1) is it ok to use a connector serial to usb to the computer ???
since, i only have usb port in my computer... I will use the usb only for connecting to the computer(serial to usb)... the hardware will have serial port...

2) How will the windows recognize the new homemade hardware ???

Thanks alot....

good for windows only though