xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need A Good Tutorial For Flashing A Hitachi 78k  (Read 88 times)

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
Need A Good Tutorial For Flashing A Hitachi 78k
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »

is this video still good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZG9Lj51fJQ...feature=related its the easy one i found could i flash my Hitachi with 150.1 with this tutorial ?

linflas

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

not really a tutorial, but my experience with 78

Hitachi Flashing

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »

i would rather use toolbox ,i heard alot of people bricked there drives with JF

linflas

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »

Fair enough, flashing with toolbox, should be no different than the steps used before.  Other than you will need the original firmware restored to the drive.  If you did not keep yours when you first flashed your drive, you will need to grab the appropriate firmware out of JF firmware package.  You will also need to make sure the original you grab and the iXtreme version you grab are the right one for your drive.  There are four different ones for the 78.

This is why I chose to use JF this time around, because I did not have a clue as to which of the 4 different types I needed.  However when I dumped the firmware in JF it told me.  You could always just do that if you don't know, use JF to dump the firmware you have on your drive, then you know the version type, but no need to flash through JF.  I just figured I was already there so just finished up.

TBH, I think the bricks are alot of user error, due to the multiple firmware types.  Good Luck

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(linflas @ Mar 9 2009, 06:48 AM) *

Fair enough, flashing with toolbox, should be no different than the steps used before.  Other than you will need the original firmware restored to the drive.  If you did not keep yours when you first flashed your drive, you will need to grab the appropriate firmware out of JF firmware package.  You will also need to make sure the original you grab and the iXtreme version you grab are the right one for your drive.  There are four different ones for the 78.

This is why I chose to use JF this time around, because I did not have a clue as to which of the 4 different types I needed.  However when I dumped the firmware in JF it told me.  You could always just do that if you don't know, use JF to dump the firmware you have on your drive, then you know the version type, but no need to flash through JF.  I just figured I was already there so just finished up.

TBH, I think the bricks are alot of user error, due to the multiple firmware types.  Good Luck

well the drive is not flashed , this would be my first time flashing a drive , i also notice many Hitachi 150.1 files im guessing the one i need is ix151-78-4b00

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »

Legacy22X

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »

Use podger tutorial to mod it. That's what I followed the first time modding my 79.

Good luck.

linflas

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(cheezypuffs @ Mar 9 2009, 06:52 AM) *

im guessing the one i need is ix151-78-4b00

DO NOT GUESS!  There are different locations in the address of the hex code for different Hitachi firmwares, in JF this is what was seen on my firmware.

CODE
Loading Hitachi Dump file

Inquiry string found

Identify string found

DVD key found @ 0x4C30 key is CB267A9F353CAF5160AF5ED8D5358

Firmware is Hitachi OSIG: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR3120L0078

Firmware type is: iXtreme :78:V1.4-12x

so as you can see I had the 1.4 firmware on it, and my key was located at 0x4C30 in the hex code of the firmware.  So I flashed my 78 with iXtreme ix151-78-4c30, as that would then flash my key correctly.

You have a 78 version, so depending upon where your key is located, it may be one of the firmware's, the types for 78's are...

ix151-78-4b00

ix151-78-4C30

ix151-78-4d20

ix151-78-4e10

So depending on where you key is located in your firmware will depend upon which version you will flash.  As I said you need to find out which version you need to use.

This post has been edited by linflas: Mar 9 2009, 09:05 AM

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(linflas @ Mar 9 2009, 09:34 AM) *

DO NOT GUESS!  There are different locations in the address of the hex code for different Hitachi firmwares, in JF this is what was seen on my firmware.

CODE
Loading Hitachi Dump file

Inquiry string found

Identify string found

DVD key found @ 0x4C30 key is CB267A9F353CAF5160AF5ED8D5358

Firmware is Hitachi OSIG: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR3120L0078

Firmware type is: iXtreme :78:V1.4-12x

so as you can see I had the 1.4 firmware on it, and my key was located at 0x4C30 in the hex code of the firmware.  So I flashed my 78 with iXtreme ix151-78-4c30, as that would then flash my key correctly.

You have a 78 version, so depending upon where your key is located, it may be one of the firmware's, the types for 78's are...

ix151-78-4b00

ix151-78-4C30

ix151-78-4d20

ix151-78-4e10

So depending on where you key is located in your firmware will depend upon which version you will flash.  As I said you need to find out which version you need to use.

should i just wait for 1.6 to come out and will it just be 1 file ?

linflas

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(cheezypuffs @ Mar 9 2009, 09:45 AM) *

should i just wait for 1.6 to come out and will it just be 1 file ?

No, probably not, as C4EVA did this for a reason, to only flash what is absolutely necessary in the firmware to lower the risk of getting detected, and your drive banned, so expect it to stay this way.

Just dollow this turorial for add port I/O manually on your PC TUTORIAL Then just use JF to put the drive into modeB, then dump your firmware and you will know which one you will need.  

You won't be flashing just reading so no risk if you are worried.  Then once you know, use the FWToolbox if you like.

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »

i have a pci via sata card 6421a  ,so if i dump the firmware there no risk in screwing anything up and im using windows xp pro service pack 2

This post has been edited by cheezypuffs: Mar 9 2009, 09:25 AM

linflas

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »

{edit}  XP makes it so much easier LOL, just install port io and ignore deleting the via files {edit}

None at all, that is exactly what I have.

I have to unplug my IDE dvd burner in my pc for the Via to be recognized by flashing programs correctly, so you may need to do this as well.

There are a few steps first though, uninstall all your raid drivers for the card in vista. Then delete them, they are found C:\Windows\System32\drivers it is called vsmraid.sys (this file you want to keep handy though, just copy it first and put it somewhere where you can get to it later)  Then you have delete a couple of folders so Vista does not just auto install the driver again they are found at C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository  the 2 folders are vsmraid.inf_5bb214f7, and vsmraid.inf_99e8d6e4

If you are using Vista you have to take ownership of the folders to do anything with them.

Do the manual install of port io, then a manual install of your via driver.

then run JF with your drive hooked up, use the hitachi tab, use the port io tick in the middle top to start with, and set your drive to modeB.  Once that is done, just change the port io tick to Win Api, and dump your firmware, nothing to it really.

I will be around for a while, if you need help, pm me contact details if you use MSN messenger and I will add you and help you out.

This post has been edited by linflas: Mar 9 2009, 09:41 AM

cheezypuffs

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 02:46:00 AM »

once i dump the drive how do i know which file i use in toolbox